Uploading Videos from BlackVue DR400G-HD II to Desktop PC

The Welsh One

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a BlackVue DR400G-HD II and have done sone sample testing on it.

The issue that I have is that it has recorded in 1 minute increments. How do I do it so that it records in longer sections than that, please? Ideally from when I switch it on, to when I turn it off would be good. But I am not sure that is possible.

As the title says, I would like to upload it to my PC, but, being in 1 minute increments, there are 100 sections of just one video that I have made. (I have about 8 videos altogether). and I do not want to, if possible, have to upload each one, one at a time.

Also, how would I go about putting all these together to make the one video, please?

And lastly, I have an issue with the screen being too dark at times. It happens both in direct and not direct sunlight, is there a solution for that please?

I have Included two screenshots for your viewing.

i1290.photobucket.com_albums_b523_TheWelshOne2012_BlackVue_lotsofseperate_bits_saved.png

i1290.photobucket.com_albums_b523_TheWelshOne2012_BlackVue_Dark_Screen.png

If the Administration team would prefer me to start 3 seperate threads, one for each issue, please let me know and I would be happy to do so.

Many thanks, in advance, for all replies.

Re: Uploading Videos from BlackVue DR400G-HD II to Desktop P

The Welsh One said:
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a BlackVue DR400G-HD II and have done sone sample testing on it.

The issue that I have is that it has recorded in 1 minute increments. How do I do it so that it records in longer sections than that, please? Ideally from when I switch it on, to when I turn it off would be good. But I am not sure that is possible.

The camera can record 1 minute, 2 minute or 3 minute clips. The short file lengths are used to minimize the gaps between files (when card is full the camera needs to erase the oldest file before writing a new file). You can set this in the basic settings under "record file unit".

dashcamtalk.com_cams_dr400g_hd_20ii_Blackvue_20DR400G_20HDII_20Setup_20Menu.jpg

The Welsh One said:
As the title says, I would like to upload it to my PC, but, being in 1 minute increments, there are 100 sections of just one video that I have made. (I have about 8 videos altogether). and I do not want to, if possible, have to upload each one, one at a time.

Also, how would I go about putting all these together to make the one video, please?

You will need to copy all the files to your computer, no way around this. You can join the files using any video editing software. Alternatively there is a great freeware program called Registrator Viewer that automatically groups the clips and you can save a grouped clip easily.

Dash Cam Man

The Welsh One said:
And lastly, I have an issue with the screen being too dark at times. It happens both in direct and not direct sunlight, is there a solution for that please?

From the pictures, it seems like you have too much sky in your video (over half of the picture is sky). You should adjust the camera downwards a few notches. You will need to experiment for the best angle (approx 2/3 road, 1/3 sky). In direct sunlight, most cameras have dark pictures unless a polarization filter is used.

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan said:
The Welsh One said:

You will need to copy all the files to your computer, no way around this. You can join the files using any video editing software. Alternatively there is a great freeware program called Registrator Viewer that automatically groups the clips and you can save a grouped clip easily.

Dash Cam Man

This is the only downside to the BlackVue DR400G-HD II is that I have to download each and every one individually. :(

Do you know how to change the recording time to more than the current 1 minute, please?

Forgot to add that I found a way to upload all the individual files in one to my desktop pc, but there is a downside.

I did it by using the 'Windows' way. When you first put in your usb, select the 'open to view files' in the pop up. You can then use you mouse to select the ones that you want to upload to your pc.

The downside is, that - for some reason, two extra bits gets uploaded with each segment of recorded video. I know one of them is to do with and has GPS in its title. What I did is, deleted the first two and then clicked on that section of video to make sure it still played and showed the speed and datestamp etc. It did. If it didn't, I would have just gone to the 'recycle bin' and restored the two that I'd just deleted. (Only delete the ones that you have just uploaded to your PC NOT the one on your microsd card. (Not until you know for sure that everything is working fine on your desktop uploaded one):)

DashCamMan said:
The Welsh One said:

From the pictures, it seems like you have too much sky in your video (over half of the picture is sky). You should adjust the camera downwards a few notches. You will need to experiment for the best angle (approx 2/3 road, 1/3 sky). In direct sunlight, most cameras have dark pictures unless a polarization filter is used.

Dash Cam Man

Once again, thanks for your reply. I did try experimenting with the the camera facing down more, but I then found that the sun was reflecting the windscreen and dashboard and these were picked up with thw camera. :(

Like you say, it is a case of experimenting. :)

With regard to the putting together of the individual recordings, to make one continuous recording, I seem to recall using the 'Windows Movie Maker' in the past for something similar. That also allowed me to add wording in between too. I will have a try of that, and will update this thread, so as to help others out in the future.

If that doesn't work, I will try the one that you linked to. Many thanks for that.

DashCamMan said:
The Welsh One said:
Hi All,

The camera can record 1 minute, 2 minute or 3 minute clips. The short file lengths are used to minimize the gaps between files (when card is full the camera needs to erase the oldest file before writing a new file). You can set this in the basic settings under "record file unit".

dashcamtalk.com_cams_dr400g_hd_20ii_Blackvue_20DR400G_20HDII_20Setup_20Menu.jpg

Oops, I overlooked this post, sorry. I was looking at that section the other day and thought it was for the maximum video recording length, but had doubts, because I read somewhere that it could be set to 10 minutes or more. They must have that wrong or I read it wrong.

With regards to the brightness setting, that won't make any difference to the issue that I have with the sun, will it? It is, as you say, too high up, and needs to be lowered to about two thirds road and one third sky. :)

Hi The Welsh One,

I think you will need to experiment with the angle and the settings. Increasing brightness may help but I think the angle is the more likely culprit. Windows Movie Maker can definitely join video files so that is a good option.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks for your reply mate.

I tried the two thirds / one thirds, and although it was a cloudy, overcast day, it appeared a lot better. (I did adjust the brightness a day before posting on here too, and I can see the dashboard and reflection of it in the bottom of the windscreen, but I can live with that).

I will post another pic of it, when I get on my desktop pc. Also, I used the Windows Movie Maker and it did the job. I even added extras such as 'title' etc.

Many thanks for your replies and your patience.

The Welsh One said:
Thanks for your reply mate.

I tried the two thirds / one thirds, and although it was a cloudy, overcast day, it appeared a lot better. (I did adjust the brightness a day before posting on here too, and I can see the dashboard and reflection of it in the bottom of the windscreen, but I can live with that).

I will post another pic of it, when I get on my desktop pc. Also, I used the Windows Movie Maker and it did the job. I even added extras such as 'title' etc.

Many thanks for your replies and your patience.

Hi The Welsh One,

Glad to hear there is some improvement and that Windows Movie Maker did the job. Curious to see a pic to compare the before and after.

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan said:
Hi The Welsh One,

Glad to hear there is some improvement and that Windows Movie Maker did the job. Curious to see a pic to compare the before and after.

Dash Cam Man

Sorry for the delay, DCM.

Here is a before and after shot, in near enough the same place...

i1290.photobucket.com_albums_b523_TheWelshOne2012_BlackVue_lotsofseperate_bits_saved.png

i1290.photobucket.com_albums_b523_TheWelshOne2012_What_a_diffe47f57f22b575c93b356dc5550ef66c25.png

Many thanks.

That is a great improvement The Welsh One. The picture looks much better now.

Dash Cam Man

If you want to load ALL the video file to your PC at once

Put the card in the PC Open the Blackvue Folder

Open the Record Folder Select ALL the files and copy them to a folder on the PC

All done Then play with them I use Wondershare Video Converter

Back