viperman_69

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I was to put together a little UPS for a dash cam would anyone be interested ?

I am working on a small UPS system that I can use with a USB Power bank, so when I shut my car off the dash cam will take power from the power bank.
I KNOW I can hardwire it in, but I like to just make things to see if it works.
Of coarse I would make it work with PARKING MODE for cameras that allow it.

HERE IT IS....
IMG_1884.JPG

Last edited:
Few people will be interested unless you can charge the powerbank at a decent rate, ideally filling a 74Wh USB powerbank in half an hour of driving...

The main hurdle is charge speed. I'm assuming that you will be using LiFePO4 cells. Depending on the capacity of the pack anywhere from 5A - 15A @ 12.8V will be ideal for most applications. I researched on CC/CV chargers that would do this but be reliable. My solution was to use a B-124/Neo6 powerbank and add a custom built pack totaling 17,852 mAh and it charges at 9A.

Had I researched more, I'd have purchased a renogy 20A dc to dc charger and 8 LifePo4 prismatic cells from aliexpress and some BMS of course. It would cost the same and I'd have 28-30 mAh vs 6 and charge at 20 amps instead of 9. Wow, approximately 5 times the capacity and over 2 times the charge current and speed. You live and learn. You would easily be recording for over a week of recording in about 1 hour 30 minutes of charging. LOL.

The main hurdle is charge speed. I'm assuming that you will be using LiFePO4 cells. Depending on the capacity of the pack anywhere from 5A - 15A @ 12.8V will be ideal for most applications. I researched on CC/CV chargers that would do this but be reliable. My solution was to use a B-124/Neo6 powerbank and add a custom built pack totaling 17,852 mAh and it charges at 9A.

Had I researched more, I'd have purchased a renogy 20A dc to dc charger and 8 LifePo4 prismatic cells from aliexpress and some BMS of course. It would cost the same and I'd have 28-30 mAh vs 6 and charge at 20 amps instead of 9. Wow, approximately 5 times the capacity and over 2 times the charge current and speed. You live and learn. You would easily be recording for over a week of recording in about 1 hour 30 minutes of charging. LOL.

The only way a USB Power Bank would be a viable option would be if it has USB-C input at the very least.... otherwise they charge too slow.

The only way a USB Power Bank would be a viable option would be if it has USB-C input at the very least.... otherwise they charge too slow.
One would definitely need to add other circuitry to make the batteries charge faster. The best you will get from USB C is 60 to 100W and that is with certified cables and a really good PS. A LiFePO4 power pack would most likely be running at 12.8v (4s) and need from 14.4 to 14.8 volts to charge. One could run four 3A CC/CV boost converters to charge each of the serial cells at 3 amp each. Any higher would requiring better cooling of the converters. I'd still recommend a little bit of active cooling if they are all enclosed though. I currently have a 13s10p that I made and balance & normal charge 10s with one hobby charger and the remaining 3s with another so I can confirm that this will work.

LOL!!! I saw this post and somehow completely missed the first image. Am I going crazy or did you put it there after? That's the whole reason I was suggesting ideas. hahahaha

Sure, I'd be interested in how it works and what it is.

LOL!!! I saw this post and somehow completely missed the first image. Am I going crazy or did you put it there after? That's the whole reason I was suggesting ideas. hahahaha

Sure, I'd be interested in how it works and what it is.
image wasn't there before

they exist already
Yes, I've been using a couple of USB C PD powerbanks for the last year, along with the Megtech kit to do the switching. Has worked very well.

Even the fastest charging USB C PD powerbank still charges too slowly for most people though, it only works for me because I only turn it on when parked in public car parks. Two of the fastest charging PD powerbanks would work well for 24/7 parking mode, given something to do the switching, and something to ensure they don't get charged below freezing, since I've never seen one that has that protection built in, and charging below freezing can result in fires.

I guess no one cares :-( .... oh well... this works perfect for me .... :)

I can see where something like this could have a market, as most driver-consumers have neither the knowledge, skills, or tools to create such a device for themselves. If you were to pursue those lines you'd need to package the product in a compact box, add fusing where needed, and use robust enough components to ensure that it could handle any foreseeable charging rates. You'd also need a good instruction sheet with pics to guide the unlearned masses through the process of installing and using it. By the time you get all that sorted it may not be a profitable venture for you :(

On charging and powerbank size there's some who could use USB2 as they drive a lot and don't need parking modes for long times as well as the opposite. The established Cellink system takes care of some folks well but I do see a need for a much larger fast-charging system with many other folks. So maybe a redesign to accommodate that would be a step in the right direction. If made and marketed en-masse you could probably beat their price too. I do like your idea myself as it does have it's merits (y)

Phil

Most new USB C power banks take a minimum 30w charging input which is more then enough to charge the power bank to satisfactory level quick enough, unless you only drive less then 10 minutes a day, then probably wont work.
The device I made does not control the charging of the power bank, it has 2 inputs and one output. One input from the cars usb port or car charger adapter and one from the USB power bank, then the output goes to the dash cam. It is super small, about 1x1 inches. the device itself does not need any fuses or anything because it is just switching power sources from one to the other. I live in Seattle, so I don't have to worry about charging below freezing as it usually only gets down to about 35 F in the winter. But the beauty with the device I put together is you can use any power source you want as it only controls the switching :)

Yes, I've been using a couple of USB C PD powerbanks for the last year, along with the Megtech kit to do the switching. Has worked very well.

Even the fastest charging USB C PD powerbank still charges too slowly for most people though, it only works for me because I only turn it on when parked in public car parks. Two of the fastest charging PD powerbanks would work well for 24/7 parking mode, given something to do the switching, and something to ensure they don't get charged below freezing, since I've never seen one that has that protection built in, and charging below freezing can result in fires.
not familiar with the Megtech kit ..... :unsure:

not familiar with the Megtech kit ..... :unsure:

30w charging input which is more then enough to charge the power bank to satisfactory level quick enough, unless you only drive less then 10 minutes a day, then probably wont work.
To run a dashcam 24/7, we typically need around 70Wh per day, if you drive for an hour a day, that is going to need a charging current of 70W, so even a single 45W PD powerbank will not charge fast enough. There are not many powerbanks about that charge at more than 45W, so two powerbanks charging simultaneously are required, along with the necessary switching to keep the camera going 24/7.

Of course we don't all need 24/7, but if you want a big market for your device then you will need to provide it.

not sure how you came up with 70Wh/day..... as a dash cam system at most only consumes about .7amp.... which calculates out to about 16.8Wh/day.
So a 30w usb-c power bank would charge more then the dash cam could consume on average.
Again the thing I put together does not handle charging, it only switches from the cars power to the power banks power when the car is turned off....
I will look at this Megtech thing some more.... looks like it is kind of the same thing I put together

not sure how you came up with 70Wh/day..... as a dash cam system at most only consumes about .7amp.... which calculates out to about 16.8Wh/day.
So a 30w usb-c power bank would charge more then the dash cam could consume on average.
Again the thing I put together does not handle charging, it only switches from the cars power to the power banks power when the car is turned off....
I will look at this Megtech thing some more.... looks like it is kind of the same thing I put together
0.7 Amp * 5 volts = 3.5 watts * 24 hours = 84 Wh / day.

Here is my device inside of a small box... just wanted to put it inside something so it wouldn't get damaged...

Attachments

• IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 31
Back