US dashcam legality

Discussion in 'Legal Questions' started by qwe123, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Yawz

Yawz Member

United States
    I had an encounter with Police officers at a DUI check point. I was only couple of miles away from my home. On a Sunday evening the County police shut down this major 2 lane road detouring every vehicle to a side street where there must have been at least a dozen police officers. I have been more than 4 hours on the road driving in a thunder storm which the visibility was nearly nil. So the first cop tells me go there, then go there. Eventually a cop come to my driver side of my car and tells me this is a sobriety check. He asked me where am I going, I replied home. He then asked me if I had anything to drink, my answer was no. He asked you haven't anything to drink not even one glass of beer this evening, my reply was no. Meanwhile his head is in my vehicle looking around. He sees my cell phone which I was using Google navigation app, and my tablet the waze app was on. PO asked me do you need GPS to get home, my reply was YES. I think he was surprised in my one word reply. I was going to tell him it's none of his business if I need to use a GPS to get home or there is no law in using a GPS to get home, but I kept my mouth shut which is wise in situations like this. So at this point he told me have a goodnight and I said thank you and drove home.
    This whole incident was recorded, video and audio with my g1Wh dash cam. The police officer did definitely see my dash cam hanging below the rear view mirror...he didn't ask me anything about it.

2. SawMaster

SawMaster Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius, G1W-S, G1W-HC, WR-1, G1W clone, and more to come!
    This is typical of US court rulings which often create more questions than answers. My info on this is a few years old, but they used to teach USA Cops the "21 foot rule" which said that a person within that distance away could attack you before you could defend yourself with a weapon, so being that close is a no-no but further away should be fine. With a mounted dashcam no such limits would apply since it's just sitting there by itself in the car recording activity in the public sphere. Remember I am not a lawyer!

3. Schnickelfritz

Schnickelfritz Member

United States
  4. Kurtis Durfey

Kurtis Durfey New Member

United States
    It appears as though some of the models are equipped to save directly to external hard drive. Would this permit us to plug in our mobile devices and set it to live stream to the cloud?

5. Gibson99

Gibson99 Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Eh, one or two... ;)
    Considering that an average 1080p video file is about 150 megabytes per minute of video, that would user up your data plan (and battery) in no time. Just put in a big SD card (like 64gb) and font worry about it.

Bungus likes this.
  6. SolidEye

SolidEye Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Mini 0805
    So far, I have not encountered any law enforcement yet regarding my dash cam. It seems like from where I am, the cops are quiet lenient with a lot of things with regards to what you do or what you put in / with your car, so to say as long as you don't drive like most fools / stupid drivers on the road do, then you're pretty much invisible from their visual radar.

7. Yawz

Yawz Member

United States
    Any device that records video can be used as a spycam. Your Iphone, your Ipad, or dashcam could be used for spying.

8. Gibson99

Gibson99 Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Eh, one or two... ;)
    Probably the main difference is that spy cameras are very small and typically made to be completely hidden or look like something else, such as an alarm clock. Dash cameras typically aren't very small. And since they're mounted to cars, which can generally only go to public places, people don't have any expectation of privacy on the road anyway.

9. Howard Jared

Howard Jared New Member

United States
    That is why they make police lines using tape or vehicles to keep people such as news broadcasters filming back a certain distance.
    Otherwise, nothing wrong with recording for safety or fun.

10. Quidagis

Quidagis Member

Colombia