[USA] Cattle truck crushes pickup truck

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
Moron in a Ford F150 passes the cattle truck (camera), goes less than a mile, then pulls a U-turn directly across the front of the big rig. If the driver of the F150 didn't get killed, he certainly spent some time in the hospital.

skip ahead to 1:00 unless you just want to listen to CB radio chatter. :)

Think the trucker did well only clipping the front of the pickup, he could easy have taken it out strait on

If I was this trucker I would not be on the cb, it is illegal here, and that would mean the f150 would have heared my horn, and likely accident avoided, goes to show why cb use is illegal here in Aust while driving.

modern CBs have bluetooth just like cell phones now, and i've seen some that weren't bluetooth but had a transmit button mounted on the wheel and a mic on the dash so it was just about handsfree.

i probably wouldn't have thought to honk. in that brief instant it was probably all the trucker could do to stand on brake/clutch, turn some, and pray.

wonder if the cattle were injured in the crash... that could get expensive quick.

i probably wouldn't have thought to honk.

I would have.....
Phone/cb/or conversation with a passenger are all distractions.
He is still concentrating on talking even after the collusion while trying to control his rig off the road, I'd never have done that.....
Not a good idea showing your conversations while posting the footage to youtube, might give the other party's insurance an excuse lay some blame etc. But if the footage was posted after settlement then might be fine.

the way i heard it, the cam truck driver was talking about how people pass you only to turn less than a mile later, right as the f150 started to pull out, then he just went "jeeeeshhhhh" as he was braking and turning. the "woah woah hang on hang on" stuff sounded like a different voice to me.

...the "woah woah hang on hang on" stuff sounded like a different voice to me.

That was probably the driver talking to himself as he was reacting to the situation. I've done that myself. As to the voice sounding different mine goes up a couple octaves in situations like that and I'm sure his did too.

As to having time to hit the horn and prevent the accident I don't think so. From the time it becomes obvious the pickup is going to come back into the traffic lane it's less than 2 seconds until contact is made. Human reaction time is in the neighborhood of about .6 second. Not much time left to do anything except get on the brakes and try to avoid as much as possible.

Me and my friend have allways been wondering, its not legal to use/ hold a cellphone while driving, but its okay for a trucker to drive and hold the MIC for his CB radio ??

We have put it down to the usioal inkompentent law making here.

I can't tell you how many times ( weekly)while driving a big rig I have my hand near the horn just in case....
If I sense a danger I am quick on the horn/ slow down etc,
The way most truckers tend to be I think this application of horn in this scenario would have only been applied by 20% of truckers....maybe less.
you are right in saying Half a sec or more goes before any thing is done. But if trucker wasn't destracted, and was attentive, the horn could have easily been applied.

're watching the footage, he is nearly stopping when he says hang on hang on, so I take back what I said earlier.

horn wouldn't have made any difference in this situation tho... if f150 couldn't be bothered to look he won't listen (or react) either.

Me and my friend have allways been wondering, its not legal to use/ hold a cellphone while driving, but its okay for a trucker to drive and hold the MIC for his CB radio ??

We have put it down to the usioal inkompentent law making here.

The laws I have seen say "handheld communication device". The cb itself is mounted on the car or truck. Therefore just a microphone on a cord does not meet the definition of communications device. Besides, I am sure the trucking lobby lobbied to get an exemption.

hehe well if i was a gearjamming trucker over there i would have a CB in my rig for sure, US make DK seem like a fly dropping on a map when it come to size.

Yeah even here we have black spots, but offcourse driving on for 5 - 10 minutes you will be within range of a cell tower again :rolleyes:

Goverment keep yelling about black spots for cell coverage and low speeds for wireless data out in the country ( only our larger towns have LTE )
Allso bitching about general internet speeds in the "outback" but that i assume is in very fjew places as there is a lot of fiber been put in the ground out there during the past decade.

I propose they put a congestion tax on the over populated towns like Copenhagen to pay for it, as us ppl living out west have bankrolled that town for decades.

Pic of 4G coverage, where its clear to see the area around Copenhagen in the East is well covered ( some will argue well most ppl live there, and i say well thats true, so due to that the rest of us is nothing but your slaves )
88503.png

horn wouldn't have made any difference in this situation tho... if f150 couldn't be bothered to look he won't listen (or react) either.

Disagree, more likely than not driver would have heard the horn and would have immediately stopped.
This driver was too lazy to look, having assumed the truck was too far back, a horn would have made driver jump on the brakes.

Could have been a different outcome if trucker was being attentive and ready to blast the horn in anticipation of such a move by the F150 who was the only thing on the road in front of the trucker.

This driver was too lazy to look, having assumed the truck was too far back.
there's the root cause. f150 driver was lazy and made very bad assumptions.

cam truck driver assumed (as did i when i first saw it) that the f150 was either turning right or simply stopping on the side of the road. then he turned left...

There was just about 2 seconds between the time the pickup started to turn in front of the semi until the crash happened. 2 seconds is not much time to try to steer around (which the truck driver did) and to even think of using the horn. You can not expect anyone to brake, turn, and hit the horn in 2 seconds. The semi driver was perhaps to busy reacting to even find the horn in time. Try using both hands to turn the steering wheel fast and hit the horn and brake hard at the same time when you are not looking at the steering wheel. It is not that easy to do.

Do you hold your hand over your horn every time someone takes a turn off your road? Every single time??? No one does that unless they are exceptionally paranoid.

The pickup driver could easily have stepped on the gas instead of the brake if they heard a horn. Once a man coming from the other direction took a left in front of me in an intersection. Apparently he saw me ready to t-bone him. Knowing he was in danger he stopped dead ahead of me. Had he kept moving we would have missed instead of collided. You can never predict how another driver will act when they are in a tight spot.

Last edited:
Back