USA Market Adoption of Dash Cams

David Armitage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why is the US lagging so far behind many other countries in the adoption of dash cams, and is this beginning to change? Even true industry veterans like Drivecam have a relatively modest installed base and it is BIG news when PAPAGO! announces that they are opening an office in California. In commercial fleets, telematics (GPS tracking) systems have a respectable 12-15% market penetration, but dash cams are in the low single digits.

What's up????

Last edited:
Dash cams are still a very niche product outside of Russia/Asia. But then, you can buy your licence if you aren't able to pass your test in China so that may explain some things.

I could imagine as driving on the right is the "wrong" side for you! :D

I have a Chinese license, the test was tougher than my Australian license

Here in the US National Public Radio ran an interesting feature just last week about how difficult it can be to get a driver's license in China. The reporter took his written test at least three times as I recall.

Why is the US lagging so far behind many other countries in the adoption of dash cams, and is this beginning to change? Even true industry veterans like Drivecam have a relatively modest installed base and it is BIG news when PAPAGO! announces that they are opening an office in California. In commercial fleets, telematics (GPS tracking) systems have a respectable 12-15% market penetration, but dash cams are in the low single digits.

What's up????

Think I'll go with a smaller font size in my quote. :)

I think it's a matter of marketing, culture and exposure. There was a huge jump in awareness and interest in dash cams here in the US after the February 15, 2013 meteor strike in Russia after people saw all of the astonishing footage of the event captured on dash cams during people's morning commute to work. Everyone started wondering why so many people had these cameras in their vehicle and learned of the corruption and insurance fraud that is rampant there. It got people in other places thinking about the concept of protecting oneself with a "witness". Virtually everyone who sees my dash cameras is fascinated by them but to my knowledge no one has gone out and bought one yet but my prediction is that in the not too distant future dash cams will become a standard manufacturers option in new vehicles.

Last edited:
There's something of a catch 22 in the USA for Dash Cams. You won't find them in stores like Best Buy because people aren't buying them and people aren't buying them because they don't see them in the stores. It would take some marketing to get people to realize the advantage of having a Dash Cam. The problem is no one wants to invest the money because the price to properly market is high and the payback may not be enough.

in 1997 the same situation you mention with retailers was happening with DVD, the retailers wouldn't stock them because not enough movies available, the film companies wouldn't put out the movies because nobody was stocking the players, catch 22 that eventually sorted itself out

in 1997 the same situation you mention with retailers was happening with DVD, the retailers wouldn't stock them because not enough movies available, the film companies wouldn't put out the movies because nobody was stocking the players, catch 22 that eventually sorted itself out

This kind of thing seems to repeat itself over and over with technology and consumer acceptance. I'm old enough to remember when I was a little kid and color TV hadn't been around too long. The networks would say, "We'll start offering more color TV programing when people start buying more color TV sets", and people would say, "We'll buy a color TV when the networks start offering more programs in color". My family held out quite awhile before my Dad bought a color TV so we kids would go to the neighbor's house and watch Howdy Doody, one of the first color shows on television.

I think the real market explosion in dash cams will occur when automakers start offering them as a factory option, like back up cams...

Same thing happened with HDTV about 10-12 years ago. TV's were out but HD content was as thin as some runway models.
Just learnt a bit about another emerging market (in North America at least) over the last 10 days myself, the e-cig. Helped me quit smoking after 30+ years. The market is as confusing as the dash cam market, if not more so.

Take this FWIW.

I recently had an in-depth conversation with a criminal defense lawyer about an auto accident. Her mindset was "why on earth would an average person have a camera in their car?". She believed that presenting evidence by someone who had footage of an accident would be viewed negatively by a jury in a trial... assuming the camera footage was admitted in the first place. She went on to say that someone who had a camera in their car was just "looking for trouble".

I don't agree with her viewpoint, but it does illustrate a cultural barrier that will need to be overcome before dash cams can become mainstream in the U.S.A. Perhaps when U.S. vehicles begin to come equipped with them as original equipment things will begin to change.

I recently had an in-depth conversation with a criminal defense lawyer about an auto accident. Her mindset was "why on earth would an average person have a camera in their car?". She believed that presenting evidence by someone who had footage of an accident would be viewed negatively by a jury in a trial... assuming the camera footage was admitted in the first place. She went on to say that someone who had a camera in their car was just "looking for trouble".
I've herd this mentioned before.
This along with limited market visibility, lack of information for people who have not come across this site, drivers concerned about privicy, drivers who just see it as a hassle to install, run cables and wire in a camera. Drivers who don't see the use for one.

The list goes on and on.
I have a bit of time on the road and between driving and car shows over the years I have come across two dash cameras. One looked like a DOD F500LHD and the other a knock off DVR-027. I really hope at the very least that DashCams spread among other Car Cruisers this summer to protect the cars they put countless hours of time and money into.

I've had mine on display at different shows, and people always ask what it is and why I would bother with one.
My TF2 is always on board.
5v4t9l.png

A Jury? Wow that's one major big deal. Most accident cases don't go in front of jury. I would think if your in that situation you'd better have some proof of innocence, your chances are way better than hearsay. If you were on a jury, which would you prefer: unbiased video proof or two parties saying "it wasn't my fault"

I agree with Bob, put them in Best Buy and watch them sell. I think people don't know about them and with our No-Fault insurance system, they aren't as valuable as they are in Russia so people aren't going out of their way to search for them.

From my personal experience, when I simply tell people about dash cams they just don't get it but when they actually see HD video from my cameras with the embedded time, date and GPS data, etc.., they suddenly DO get it. Then they start asking questions like, "Hey, what does one of these cost? Where did you get this? This also happens when they are passengers in my vehicle and see the cameras in action.

Back