USA Market Adoption of Dash Cams

Given the limited amount of info in that video, I doubt I would have even stopped at all in that situation....

Last edited:
Now Microcenter stores (CA, TX and some other states) carry Winbook G1W for $49.99 and Winbook mini 801 with GPS for $89.99.
"Authentic Novatek and Aptina components bring you crisp audio and full 1080p video footage in even the harshest of environments, night and day".

Just checked my local MicroCenter in Michigan and they carry both the Winbooks plus the Garmin 20 and 5 different Papago cams. If I had known that I may have bought mine there instead of Amazon.

...I recently had an in-depth conversation with a criminal defense lawyer about an auto accident. Her mindset was "why on earth would an average person have a camera in their car?". She believed that presenting evidence by someone who had footage of an accident would be viewed negatively by a jury in a trial... assuming the camera footage was admitted in the first place. She went on to say that someone who had a camera in their car was just "looking for trouble".....

Not hard to believe that attitude by a defense attorney. Their self-perceived role in life is to get their client found 'not guilty', versus getting their client a fair trial - big difference between the two.

I recall a few years ago an interview with a defense attorney who was questioned by the media as to why he was so adamant about getting some piece of physical evidence ruled as inadmissible on a technicality. His answer was along the lines of "if it's admitted then it will prove my client was at the scene".

While I understand and agree with the need for their services I'm somewhat amazed at the depths to which they will stoop in the name of 'justice'.

I have been running a dashcam in my car for 15 years now. My first dashcam was an original X10 camera hooked up to a VCR that I had to hit record on every time I started the car. After that I used a home CCTV DVR, then a AverDigi 1304MOB. Got into the HD dashcam scene very early on.

My opinion is the slow US adoption comes from people either not knowing the risk or thinking installation is too complex/expensive.

From a risk perspective, when I tell people my first dashcam was installed after I lost an accident case due to the other driver lying to the police. Almost everyone has a story of something similar, yet they still think a dashcam is too much.

I was in an accident a couple of weeks ago now where a pickup changed lanes into me. The insurance adjuster on my side told me that they see video in only 1-2% of cases (more than I thought!) but most of that is either the insurance company's own "Teen Safe Driver" program that hands out DriveCams, or CCTV/red light cameras etc. Very, very few private dashcams. After showing my video to friends at work, 2 of them ordered 0805s right away.

My wife never wanted a dashcam in her car until she got in a disputed accident and was blamed despite her protests. Now she has a GS9000.

There are occasional stories on the new where a dashcam caught a clip, but i find a lot of my friends share the "You must be hoping for an accident" view. Having said that, they don't agree that my home CCTV indicates a desire to be burglarized, so...?

Back in the day my dashcam was quite an overhead, but now it just plugs into the cig lighter and I forget about it. For under $100 and a 5 minute install I simply cannot understand why anyone would NOT want one.

I have been running a dashcam in my car for 15 years now. My first dashcam was an original X10 camera hooked up to a VCR that I had to hit record on every time I started the car. After that I used a home CCTV DVR, then a AverDigi 1304MOB. Got into the HD dashcam scene very early on.

My opinion is the slow US adoption comes from people either not knowing the risk or thinking installation is too complex/expensive.

From a risk perspective, when I tell people my first dashcam was installed after I lost an accident case due to the other driver lying to the police. Almost everyone has a story of something similar, yet they still think a dashcam is too much.

I was in an accident a couple of weeks ago now where a pickup changed lanes into me. The insurance adjuster on my side told me that they see video in only 1-2% of cases (more than I thought!) but most of that is either the insurance company's own "Teen Safe Driver" program that hands out DriveCams, or CCTV/red light cameras etc. Very, very few private dashcams. After showing my video to friends at work, 2 of them ordered 0805s right away.

My wife never wanted a dashcam in her car until she got in a disputed accident and was blamed despite her protests. Now she has a GS9000.

There are occasional stories on the new where a dashcam caught a clip, but i find a lot of my friends share the "You must be hoping for an accident" view. Having said that, they don't agree that my home CCTV indicates a desire to be burglarized, so...?

Back in the day my dashcam was quite an overhead, but now it just plugs into the cig lighter and I forget about it. For under $100 and a 5 minute install I simply cannot understand why anyone would NOT want one.
Dashcam is a must security tool for any vehicle, same as CCTV at home or business.
With dashcam any insurance adjuster will be on your side.

And adjuster will be on your side - as long as the video exonerates you.

In my recent accident the adjuster was very happy to see the video because it proved me innocent - I can't imagine she'd be as giddy over the footage if it had showed me causing the wreck. ;-)

Insurance us a funny beast. I have a GPS theft tracker and I get no discount for that. Accident investigation is now just looking at a video yet no discount for saving them that money/effort.

CNET 2015
44e378fdb59078a8dd813299095a7112.jpg

Thinkware F750 dashcam
http://www.cnet.com/products/thinkware-f750-dashcam/

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/F550#

Last edited:
this tooling is their best design, some of the others are not very nice at all, not for the western market at least

Thinkware currently sells its dashcam products in Korea and Canada, but intends to make the F750 available in the US for a price of $299.

The F750 includes an SD card slot and its own internal storage to save collision footage.

this tooling is their best design, some of the others are not very nice at all, not for the western market at least
@jokiin
What I cannot understand why CES honored them with 2015 CES Innovation Awards, far what???

Only interesting is international memory that can be used in accident to recover video if necessary.

"THINKWARE Dash Cam[emoji769] F750 honored with
2015 CES Innovation Awards"
http://www.thinkware.com/WhyThinkwareDashCam

Manual: (Check mounting bracket, it can for 2 Channel)
http://download2.inavi.com/dashcam/F550/manual/f550_manual_en_20141023.pdf

Last edited:
Yes Polaroid [emoji6]
CES 2015: Polaroid debuts a line of easy to use dashcams
a0879d2eab1c08b2571d789e4bad1b9b.jpg

Yes Polaroid [emoji6]
That looks very much like a Dome Z7 in disguise - I think HP have a very similar design too.

I wouldent mind swapping my china headunit for that parrot gizmo :cool:

That looks very much like a Dome Z7 in disguise - I think HP have a very similar design too.
Yes Polaroid [emoji6]

This is the traditional Taiwan design style.
I know few design and development companies doing very well for such big brands, and made dashcam in Taiwan.

Back