USA Market Adoption of Dash Cams

i DID edit the video to make it pause for a few seconds to point out each of the SIX different signs and painted street markings the at-fault driver ignored before he drove into the side of my car.
Consider bringing the two versions-- one with the edits to point out the driver's missed directions, and one "unedited" to show the as-it-happened flow of the incident.

Consider bringing the two versions-- one with the edits to point out the driver's missed directions, and one "unedited" to show the as-it-happened flow of the incident.

That's what I did when I gave the State Trooper copies of my crash back in 2013 on a CD. The lady who hit me received a ticket after the Trooper watched the video.

oh, i also edited out my profanity as well, since i figured that wasn't really necessary in a courtroom. :oops:

@M--- are you saying i should leave the soundtrack intact, too?

leave the soundtrack intact
Yep. Unedited means unedited. Soundtrack shows that you were paying attention, as you honked at him, and he moved back into his lane, and you expected him to pay attention to his road markings after that.

Also, as you remember from your post about the crash, people were accusing you of aggressively rushing or blocking him-- which isn't the case , since he slowed down and you maintained your pace. The sound helps in identifying what actually happened. Without the sound, it might be harder to identify it.

Yep. Unedited means unedited. Soundtrack shows that you were paying attention, as you honked at him, and he moved back into his lane, and you expected him to pay attention to his road markings after that.

Also, as you remember from your post about the crash, people were accusing you of aggressively rushing or blocking him-- which isn't the case , since he slowed down and you maintained your pace. The sound helps in identifying what actually happened. Without the sound, it might be harder to identify it.
ok, sounds like i'll need to make a new edit to restore the soundtrack and perhaps also point out his brake lights coming on after i honked at him. also might need to add who's honking at who; our horns sound the same since both are toyotas. i first honked at him when he drifted, then he honked at me as i began my turn.

i could probably use more practice with vsdc anyway if i'm going to put together a decent-looking review of the A118C vs. A118 (battery) vs. CF-100. and if i'm bored, I'll throw in the old F70 just to compare how BAD the video looks compared to real 1080p or real 720p, since the F70 claims to do 720p and 1080p - even though the actual files generated at "1080p" are 1280x720, just with a smaller timestamp lol

Although it might be a case of too many late night TV lawyer shows, I tend to agree -- In addition to your edited-to-show-your-point version, a completely unedited "I just copied the file from the memory card to the PC/CD/DVD/Whatever." version would also be best. "That's a nice editing job you did there. It certainly seems to overstate my clients' fault." :)

MHO, IANAL of course.

grnbrg.

Interesting. I'd always (mistakenly) assumed the second honk was from you!
i didnt realize he was right there and wasn't turning till i saw the flash of his headlight in my peripheral vision, just a fraction of a second before he hit me. i didn't know he'd honked at me till i reviewed the video later that night.

i didnt realize he was right there and wasn't turning till i saw the flash of his headlight in my peripheral vision, just a fraction of a second before he hit me. i didn't know he'd honked at me till i reviewed the video later that night.

I think you've nailed it right there Gibson, as that's one of the amazing things about dash cams; those important details you capture that you didn't know were even there until you review the footage.

That said, I believe the fifth amendment prevents you from being compelled to give evidence against yourself. But if you've freely offered it, the prosecution is not barred from using it against you. "You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can be used against you blah blah blah...."
grnbrg.

I am not sure that this protection would apply to a civil case where the court just decides who will pay for damages. The exact phrasing of the fifth amendments is "... nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself ...." If the other side knows that you have a video they may be able compel you to provide it under subpoena. The key point being "if they know." ;) Of course, should you find yourself in such a situation the best option is to first consult with your lawyer.

US adoption is definitely slow for dashcam... and haven't really seen much retailers carrying it. Fry's started carrying a few last year. This year, I went to a Super Target and they had like 2 or 3 dash cam, forgot the brand.. but I think it was cobra

If they put dashcams in the apple stores they would sell like hot cakes, even if they where just 720p and with batteries.

I had my first dashcam sighting this morning. The car in front of me had his mounted well below the rearview mirror and the display on. This was the first dashcam I have seen out in the wild other than mine and friends of mine.

Costco, Vancouver is selling Garmin.

Adoption is slow because accidents fraud and crime are (relatively speaking per capita) very very low in the US. so we don't "see a need" until we don't have it.

I bought a cherry 1989 geo tracker. Tin top. manual steering. Trifecta (all 3 rare options 4x4 5 speed and AC) to say this is rare is putting is very very mildly. I spent 10 years looking for one. I HAVE YET to find another since then (trackers are easy to find. 89 tin tops with 57,000 originals miles zero damage zero work turn key with the trifecta ?? not a hard top a TIN TOP (solid roof non removable)

they are so rare its disgusting.

Driving home on 422 with a little trailer in tow. I hear squealing wheels and WHAM I am spinning around in the middle of the highway. no time to do much of anything I whip the wheel left to tighten the spin up (don't want to eat the guard rail in the median) and I yank my arms and legs up and away to avoid what I assumed was about to be a nasty crunch and crumple.

Done being stunned I attempt reignition fail panic a little (cars coming) try again it fires I get the hell off the road. I sit for a moment to collect and calm. what the hell just hit me.

Turns out some kids driving home. kid let his girlfriend drive she fell asleep wakes up at the last second notices me as she is barreling down my siz doing 80 85 in a 55 swerves to miss me but its a very narrow 2 lanes with small shoulders. she tries to correct and loses it.

SLIDES sideways along the length of my trailer and half my little truck and slams into me just at the b pillar spinning me 180'

on watching the video you can see their headlights swing across the roadway in front of me as they "spin" losing control and you can also see the tail end of their car rolling off the road after I finish my 180' spin cycle.

I really wish she had just slammed into my rear end. the very light but long (10ft) trailer would have crumpled like a tin can and made a very nice crumple zone and would probably have left my tracker unharmed for the most part.

I have my whits about me I turn on the video camera on my cell phone and keep it in my hands.

we call the police. surprise. in PA if both cars are mobile safely (no tow needed) and no one needs a buss its deemed a non emergency. meaning flat out told me go home it will be 4 hours before we get their. wow.

they help me change my tire on the trailer (shredded) I point the camera at me and record a statement name number and what happened (I keep it simple and vague no accusations) then point it at the kid. he takes the hint and does the same then her.

now I have their statements while they are still in the haze of the accident so they have not had time to think about the repercussions of what they just did and don't realize hey maybe i should lie. IE right after the accident people can sometimes be particularly honest.

turns out he let his suspended license girlfriend drive. he was 24 on daddy's insurance and this was not his first major accident.

we go home. they try to fix it themselves we both get quotes $4500 they agree its too much out of pocket so we go through insurance (geico)

geico takes my statement and I never hear from them again for months. I leave messages etc.. ignored never called back.

Finally I call my insurance company. they say well mr taylor you have liability only. I go no you misunderstand. I want to call geico but they won't call me back I explain what happened. she is surprised. apparently they have internal contacts between insurance companies. SHE calls geico gets the assigned rep on the phone and 3 ways me in.

he "apologizes" for not getting back to me and then drops the bomb shell. they are not covering the claim. their client (listen to these weasel words) was "in control of their lane" I lost control of my car and caused the accident.

you might see how they could possibly think they could get away with this. they "tboned" me from the side. had I say blew a tire and got turned sideways they could have run right into me.

I was stunned into silence. then I said this.

"He must be a special kind of stupid or he does not understand what I meant when I said I have a dashcam"

agent is confused?? says I have video? I say. ahh yes. that is what a dash cam does. then asks me why I am driving around with a video camera (I hear my own agent facepalm now)

I go dude. ever watch cops? yeah? well the dash cam? do you think there is an officer sitting their holding a video camera? NO its built into the car. so is mine. I turn on the engine it starts I turn off the engine it stops. its 100% full transparent hands off and automatic. it just "does it" until I need it.

can we get the video? YES you can have the video. would you also like the video I recorded after learning the police would not come for 4 hours and we were told by the statties to go home and your client fully admits to what he did ? want that video too? sure.

Mind you video confession might not be enough they were "dazed" after all. put the two together and THE NEXT DAY they accepted full responsibility for the accident.

then it was a 4.5 month HELLISH FIGHT to get them to actually pay me. Geico is horrible. absolutely horrible.

Here is the video.

as for GPS. easy. CROP the video. no more GPS.

damn cell phone batteries, always dying. glad you had enough juice to record statements and everything, and glad there were no real injuries.

Back