[USA] Nevada Pickup Truck Towing Clunking Car via Chain (is this even legal?)

Doesn't sound good. I would think there is a lower speed limit when towing (dragging) another vehicle this way.

Don't know about the legality but that chain looks to be a little light weight for that purpose.

Looks like the guy in the Volvo tried it before, many people have absolutely no clue as what to do when pulled, witch pretty much is make sure the pulling rope/wire/chain are always taut, and then follow the pulling vehicle.

Pull vehicles in this town like this more often than using a tow truck. Not smart but very common.

yeah i didn't see anything out of the ordinary. since the tow hook on the volvo wasn't in the center, that's why it was jerking left when the chain would snap tight. i'm guessing the truck was either slowing or they were doing downhill and the volvo wasn't using enough brakes to keep the chain tight. chain itself looked fine to me. much better than the tiny ratchet straps i often see being used, which MIGHT have a 1000lb capacity.

Renting a tow dolly is not even that expensive. Priorities I guess.

dolly.jpg

if you're towing someone that just broke down, going to rent a dolly isn't the best option. and if you're only towing it a mile or two, it still isn't. especially on weekends, when the rental places are often sold out.

i've helped tow cars short distances, and as long as you keep it sane (slow speeds, OFF the highways, etc) it's perfectly safe and 100% legal. it works better with similar sized vehicles, since the car in the back has to do more braking to keep the rope/chain tight.

i view it no differently than someone with a stretch strap helping pull someone out of a ditch instead of calling a "proper" tow truck and paying their fees.

I don't see anything wrong with it apart from the driver of the towing vehicle choosing the wrong lane. As far as renting a dolly or trailer, that's ok if you have a tow ball fitted.

Back