USB camera module for raspberry

What did you want to use it for? Which would be the best choice may vary depending on the usage you had in mind

To clarify- purpose build cameras are designed to process+ handle data amounts in optimum ways, raspberry is not going to produce anything sensible regardless of coding ;)

To clarify- purpose build cameras are designed to process+ handle data amounts in optimum ways, raspberry is not going to produce anything sensible regardless of coding ;)

note for each sensor they list the codec as MJPEG so I wouldn't expect miracles, they still may suit whatever @susobarral has in mind though

What did you want to use it for? Which would be the best choice may vary depending on the usage you had in mind

I want to mount a camera connected to the raspberripy 2 for to direct downloading videos to an external hard drive and set its recording settings

I would like to get this,

to me is more important to the resolution and quality of video that FPS
Best,
Suso

the 5mp sensors could offer a sharper image but at the expense of low light performance if that's a consideration, they only quote MJPEG in the spec but I don't know if that's a limitation of the Rasberry itself or that's just all they've quoted

I've been watching these

http://www.amazon.com/180degree-Fisheye-1080p-Angle-Camera/dp/B00LQ854AG

Ominivison-OV2710-2MP-1080P-wide-angle-180degree-font-b-fisheye-b-font-USB-font-b-camera.jpg

http://www.elpcctv.com/super-5mp-hd-usb-autofocus-camera-module-for-micro-endoscope-camera-p-85.html

c2e68c44b8acca3fb882037ae61620a9.image.300x300.jpg

Last edited:
Cheap 180 degree lens's as well are going to product poor quality (in my opinion anyway). However, if you are just wanting to use the Pi to try some stuff such as coding and using it for different effects etc, then I would go for it. If you are looking to use the Pi for a top quality camera - I would reset my expectations.

I would stay away from 180 degrees as unless it's high quality it's probably going to be poor quality. As a Pi is dirt cheap I would be tempted to stay with a dirt cheap lens, then when you have accomplished what you want to or move up to more advanced things, then look at the better lens.

Just my 2 cents - PS I love the Pi! It's so addictive!

not a fan of the 180° lenses as I think it makes it very hard to get detail and perspective

it is true, but the perspective distortion is corrected and a panoramic player

Cheap 180 degree lens's as well are going to product poor quality (in my opinion anyway). However, if you are just wanting to use the Pi to try some stuff such as coding and using it for different effects etc, then I would go for it. If you are looking to use the Pi for a top quality camera - I would reset my expectations.

I would stay away from 180 degrees as unless it's high quality it's probably going to be poor quality. As a Pi is dirt cheap I would be tempted to stay with a dirt cheap lens, then when you have accomplished what you want to or move up to more advanced things, then look at the better lens.

Just my 2 cents - PS I love the Pi! It's so addictive!

It is necessary to mount a lens quality,

if we ignore the lens that you think the quality of the module camera? others options?

you're probably limited by what's available, not sure there are other options
what opinion have you of this camera ?
ELP Webcam de HD for Laptop PC (5Mp,Aptina Cmos Sensor,USB2.0, 2592x1944 @ 15fps MJPEG,Fisheye Lens)
Description:
5Megapixel 2592X1944 resolution
Sensor 1/2.5 inch Aptina MI5100 CMOS Sensor
5.0megapixel, Max. 2592(H)x1944(V)pixels
Picture format MJPEG or YUY2 optional/USB Protocal USB2.0 HS/FS
Auto exposure AEC Support/Auto white blance AEB Support

Effective Pixels:
2592 (H) x 1944 (V) pixels/2048 (H) x 1536 (V) pixels/1600 (H) x 1200 (V) pixels/1920 (H) x 1080 (V) pixels
1280 (H) x 1024(V) pixels/1280 (H) x 720 (V) pixels/1024 (H) x 768 (V) pixels/800 (H) x 600 (V) pixels/640 (H) x 480 (V) pixels (Other special size resolution is customized)

Signal Output: Serial data for USB standard compliant 2.0
Performance:
2592x1944 @ 15fps MJPEG / 2048x1536 @ 15fps MJPEG 1600x1200 @ 15fps MJPEG / 1280x1024 @ 15fps MJPEG 1920x1080 @ 30fps MJPEG / 1280x720 @ 30fps MJPEG 800x600 @ 30fps MJPEG / 640x480 @ 30fps MJPEG

Adjustable parameters Brightness/Contrast/Color saturation /Definition/Gamma/WB Night vision optional, can choose IR board 5V power voltage DC 5V/current 150mA/
work temperature DEGREES(-20~70) Size 38X38mm, 32x32mm
Support OS "WinXP/Vista/WIN7/WIN8/Linux with UVC/Mac-OS X 10.4.8 or later/Wince with UVC/Android 4.0 or above"

Thanks

I used the same sensor in our old Ambarella based camera, it's capable of very good image quality when used with a good lens, it's not so good in low light but daytime performance was very good

I used the same sensor in our old Ambarella based camera, it's capable of very good image quality when used with a good lens, it's not so good in low light but daytime performance was very good

I've been looking at this model, but I can not find much information , it appears that is a sensor used in mobilephone

8MP HIGH-DEFINITION USB CAMERA MODULE USB2.0 SONY IMX179 COLOR CMOS SENSOR 75DEGREE LENS

http://www.elpcctv.com/8mp-highdefinition-usb-camera-module-usb20-sony-imx179-color-cmos-sensor-75degree-lens-p-223.html

Not familiar with this one but seems the resolutions and frame rates offered are not the typical settings you would see

Not familiar with this one but seems the resolutions and frame rates offered are not the typical settings you would see

According to Sony is a sensor for mobiles
IMX179
The IMX179 is a diagonal 5.7 mm (Type 1/3.2) CMOS active pixel type image sensor with a square pixel array and 8.08M effective pixels. This chip operates with three power supplies, analogue 2.7 V, digital 1.2 V, and IF 1.8 V, and has low power consumption. High sensitivity, low dark current, and no smear are achieved through the adoption of R,G, and B primary color pigment mosaic filters. This chip features an electronic shutter with variable charge-storage time.
In addition, this product is designed for use in cellular phone and tablet PC. When using this for another application,
Sony does not guarantee the quality and reliability of product. Therefore, don't use this for applications other than cellular phone and tablet PC. Consult your Sony sales representative if you have any questions.

This camera head (Ambarella A7) uses this sensor, but it does not give good result

Foream-Press-1.jpg

A old friend of mine is big on aduion, he sell a lot of that stuff.

And that was my OT for today,,,,,,, maybe :D

Back