USB extension cable on mini

yub24

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Just want to ask if it is okay to use an extension cable on a mini? I have one used as a rear cam and the supplied cable is short. My car only has one cig port and the cable is not long enough to reach the front. Also, does the mini have thermal protection? Does it shutdown when it is hot? I don't see any note regarding thermal protection in the manual but there is table of voice prompts. It has one in the manual saying something like "shutting down due to high temperature".

Hello friend,

1, Yes, you could use extension cable ( be sure to use a good quality extension cable, i.e. can pass through 1-2A current );
2, Yes, the camera has thermal protection, i.e. the camera will automatically be off when the temperature gets high;
3, However, because mini adopts built-in supercapacitor instead of Li battery, actually camera's working temperature is higher than other cameras with built-in battery, hence, basically speaking, you have quite rare chance to hear the voice prompt of "shutting down due to high temperature".

Thanks for the quick reply Fabio. I will try to get a good quality extension cable. I will post here for updates by next week.

When choosing cables, avoid those using CCA wires. Copper-clad aluminum degrades over time whereas solid copper wires don't. You can't go cheap here without problems creeping in. I've been using a 3m USB extension cable for about 5 years now with various cams and it has never given trouble. I can't remember for sure but I think it's from "Belkin".

Phil

Back