USB file transfer causing camera to lock up.

David Bode

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a Yi a week ago and have been very thankful for this forum. I was quickly able to install the hacked firmware and tweak some scripts to get the picture more to my liking.

Since I got the camera, I have not been able to transfer files from the USB port on the camera. I plug in camera, turn it on, files show up, try and drag them to computer, one file will start to transfer and then the camera drops the connection.

This action also causes the camera to lock up and become unresponsive. Buttons don't work. In order to restore functionality I have to pull the battery and re-boot it. Upon reboot the camera doesn't show up on computer when it is plugged in.

I just take the card out and plug that into my USB 3 card reader with the SD card adapter. The problem with this is that the card mechanism in the camera cannot be meant for several thousand cycles. Right?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

I got a Yi a week ago and have been very thankful for this forum. I was quickly able to install the hacked firmware and tweak some scripts to get the picture more to my liking.

Since I got the camera, I have not been able to transfer files from the USB port on the camera. I plug in camera, turn it on, files show up, try and drag them to computer, one file will start to transfer and then the camera drops the connection.

This action also causes the camera to lock up and become unresponsive. Buttons don't work. In order to restore functionality I have to pull the battery and re-boot it. Upon reboot the camera doesn't show up on computer when it is plugged in.

I just take the card out and plug that into my USB 3 card reader with the SD card adapter. The problem with this is that the card mechanism in the camera cannot be meant for several thousand cycles. Right?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

I had similar problems with my camera at the beggining. Almost every time with USB transfer my camera was not responsive and i was forced to remove the battery.
The solution was to change the usb cable to longer one.

the problem is beacuse of you delteing files from camera manualy.

wipe your sd card threw camera. ---> take a few photo/video --> connect to pc and trasfer then. you will see it works fine.

as soon as you trasfer files from pc to camera or delte files from sd card threw pc. this problem starts.

I have the same problem of the Yi freezing/crashing when trying to open a file on the PC or when trying to use the Android WiFi to view a video. Instead of using the Yi to copy files to the PC, I eject the microSD card and plug it into my microSD card reader to copy it to the PC. I'm using the official firmware 1.2.13.

Any quality micro usb cable that came with your phone will fix it. Don't use usb extensions or hubs.

Thanks, I tried a different micro USB cable instead of the short one that came with the camera and then it worked. BTW, I am using a USB 3.0 hub with the short cable but the hub also has external power cord. I'm using a longer micro USB cable connected to the motherboard and it works.

It looks like it really doesn't like a hub and extension cable, but will work directly with a short cable.... sometimes. First time I tried it, I had to pull battery again. Next time I started the camera without the battery. Then it worked.

it is a bug, i have the same qustion

Back