USB microphone specs

tim_m99

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Wondering if anyone know some details regarding the usb microphone port?
Does it provide power to a plugin microphone?
If so what mini usb to 3.5mm jack would work with this (and provide the power)?
I have a Giant Squid Audio lavalier microphone already and would like to be able to use this if possible. It requires 'plug-in power' having voltage output from between 1.5 to 10 volts.
Thanks

ps I got an adaptor along with other stuff in a kit I bought but I don't think it is wired right for this camera (screen switches off on plugin and there is no sound - even if I pass the mic through a recorder (Zoom H1))

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, A129, B1W, B2W
The microphone spec is the same as a GoPro microphone, you can get adaptors for jack socket microphones.

It does provide power, it needs a 10 pin mini USB plug with a resistor which specifies if the microphone is there and stereo or mono.

It sounds like your adaptor has a resistor to tell it that it is a video output cable, thus the screen turning off!

If you do a search on this forum you should find posts giving the resistor values.

Note that there are a lot of GoPro microphone adaptor cables about with the wrong resistor values, some result in mono only, some still use the internal microphone so are useless!

OP
T

tim_m99

Reaction score
Country
Australia
One of the listed adaptors here which comes from gearbest doesn't appear to have a resistor.
Anyone used one of these adaptors that actually works and can tell me the source?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Git2 5
Q Git2 20
TwoBlues Git2 2
J Git2 18