USB powered basic dash cam?

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if you can get a USB powered basic dash cam?

Daughter just got a car and it doesn't have any cigar lighter socket just a USB port in the front. She currently has her phone plugged in, but think can buy a single to dual USB adapter.

Are these available anywhere, would rather this than having to poke around the fuse box.

Thanks

I don't have any recommendations of any specifically but I wonder if a USB to Cigarette lighter output would do the trick for you.
Something like this
but maybe not that one exactly due to: Output:12V 0.8A Max
One reviewer mentioned it worked for their BlackVue DR750S
Powers my Blackvue dr-750s dashcam. I am using single camera, haven’t tried with dual camera though. One issue I found when I tried to do firmware upgrade. Camera wasn’t restarting while copying the file. Most likely the camera require more than 0.8 amp to upgrade which this converter cannot deliver. For firmware upgrade I connected my camera directly to car port.

Update: I am now using with both camera installed, working fine for driving and parking mode. This supports a perfect use case for me as I have short drive everyday to the park and ride. I just use 2 2,000 mah portable battery; one is powering the camera while other is being charged. The camera can run one full day consuming about 60% battery.

His update is kind of confusing though, not sure why he needs portable batteries, could be the seller did some weird listing migration and that review is referring to something else.

Is there any big reason you don't want to connect into the fuse box?
It's not as intimidating as it seems, at worst you could go to a professional installer to get it done.

Just some food for thought, while waiting for some other members to chime in.

Dashcams are best sited high in the screen - as high as possible, so generally tucked away behind the rear view mirror.
In most cars, this is also where you find an interior light - which, conveniently, provides constant power. You'll need to check the car but most tend to turn those lights off automatically a short while after the ignition key is removed. It's not that difficult to tap into this power supply and wire up the cam with a decent 12v - 5v transformer. Don't go for a cheapo here, they often don't transform (inducted), they clip (by switching rapidly on/off which can cause havoc with your radio & other devices)

think can buy a single to dual USB adapter.
There is a variant of connection to the diagnostic socket OBD-II, there is a constant "Plus" and Ground. This is a simple and secure connection
"Dovewill OBDII 16 Pin USB Smart Charger Adapter Switch Cable 5V 2A for Camera GPS DVR" https://www.amazon.com/gp/B074PS2NB5,
or pick up a splitter / hub, perhaps such as this one: DTECH 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub with Long Cable Supports Fast Charging Data Transfer for Laptop Desktop (White - 4ft) https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07C4XCGVN

Daughter just got a car and it doesn't have any cigar lighter socket just a USB port in the front. She currently has her phone plugged in, but think can buy a single to dual USB adapter.

Are these available anywhere, would rather this than having to poke around the fuse box.

Thanks
A basic USB powered dash cam: https://dashcamtalk.com/blueskysea-b1w/

That does come with a cigar to USB adaptor, but it can be plugged into a USB socket as long as you use a USB charging cable (no data connections).

Hopefully the car's USB socket turns off when you leave the car, otherwise it will slowly drain the battery.

There is plenty of other choices if you want something better, but that is a good basic one.

The OBD to USB adaptor suggested above would make for a neater install.

I would suggest OBD to USB or some hardwiring kit; but most dash cam that runs on mini USB or micro USB for power should work with most USB power source.

Thanks

Most USB ports in automobiles only provide 5V / 500mAh output. A general rule of thumb is that most 5V dash cameras require at least 1amp of current (1000mAh). If your daughter is already using the existing socket to charge her phone, the existing port with a dual adapter will certainly be inadequate for most cameras on the market. Without a 12V cigarrete lighter socket a hard wired alternative solution will be required.

Last edited:
Back