USB splitter for charging dashcam

Don't really know, but a decent one should last a very long time. The one thing I've learned about these dual USB car chargers and USB-A cables over the last three plus years though is that you need to take some care not to damage or cause excessive wear on the USB plugs and ports if you are in the habit of plugging and unplugging on a daily basis, over an extended period of time. One thing that can happen is that the plugs can become slightly bent and distorted if they take an unexpected hit now and again (and they will) and this can lead to intermittent connectivity issues.

Thanks for the plug/cable information. I was planing to just leave the USB plugs in the USB device insert, They should turn themselves off when the ignition is off (an assumption). If the Vico plus device/controller works as it is supposed to, it will take care of that, and more. It's a heck of a device.

Thanks for the plug/cable information. I was planing to just leave the USB plugs in the USB device insert, They should turn themselves off when the ignition is off (an assumption). If the Vico plus device/controller works as it is supposed to, it will take care of that, and more. It's a heck of a device.

Leaving them plugged in is a good way to go. I was originally planning to hard wire too with a battery protection device such as the Vico but after experimenting with power banks, I've stuck with them for the last 3 and a half years because they've worked so well for me, hence the plugging and unplugging into USB chargers. The other reason for using two power banks is that I run four or more cameras on a daily basis and typical battery discharge prevention devices are not designed with that capacity. Since I have two 12V outlets in my dash I actually use one (Aukey) dual port USB charger in one port and a 12V three outlet splitter in the other port with another dual port USB charger plugged into that (currently a RAVpower). The 12V three port splitter even has three USB ports outputing 500 mAh which I use occasionally to charge my phone with no problems.

Anyway, the USB plugs have generally only needed a little TLC and some minor maintenance and repair over time. (A gentle squeeze on the "A" plug with the proper tool, for example.)

Last edited:
My power splitter just died. So I have order one of these Jelly comb 65watt and 6 usb outlet.
s-l500.jpg
Hi Viking, several people have offered this type as a suggestion, and under normal circumstances I think it would be an excellent idea. However I'm using a Vico Power Plus battery control system. It will only operate with two cameras (I asked the manufacture), front and rear. However at the rate I am expounding what I want/need in the way of cameras, I will eventually probably be looking for methods, so I probably end up with something like you have unless Vico comes out with a system that will control 4 or more cameras.

If you get a chance when you get it hooked up I would really appreciate hearing what you think about it.

...However at the rate I am expounding what I want/need in the way of cameras, I will eventually probably be looking for methods, so I probably end up with something like you have unless Vico comes out with a system that will control 4 or more cameras.

If you get a chance when you get it hooked up I would really appreciate hearing what you think about it.
If it helps at all I'm currently using one of these to power 4 cameras:
http://www.turtlebrand.com/car-char...t-usb-car-charger-with-lightning-cable-black/

Hi Viking, several people have offered this type as a suggestion, and under normal circumstances I think it would be an excellent idea. However I'm using a Vico Power Plus battery control system. It will only operate with two cameras (I asked the manufacture), front and rear. However at the rate I am expounding what I want/need in the way of cameras, I will eventually probably be looking for methods, so I probably end up with something like you have unless Vico comes out with a system that will control 4 or more cameras.
You could have the Power Plus operate a relay, which in turn could operate as many devices as you like within the relay's rating (it would need a direct hot battery connection to switch to the cameras. The Power Plus would just be powering the relay coil.) I've considered this myself and would do it this way if I was determined to run many things off the car battery, but I'm already pushing my battery as much as I'm willing to with two cameras running with the engine off.

I'm at a vacation now, but at the end of next week I will be home, there should be a good change at that time.
So a yes with delay.:)

Back