Use car jump starter battery as a power bank for dash cam.

mariorunes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,
Is it possible to use car jump starter battery as a power bank for dash cam?
If yes, we will have power bank for car camera and jump starter in case if we are out of car battery (discharge).

Any ideas very appreciated.
Thank you

It's certainly possible. Though the line has been blurred between what is a 12V car jump starter and what is a USB power bank.
One I have is both, though I haven't tried it out much: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00YDZR3ZIIf you are thinking of the older type with its own lead acid battery, they probably wouldn't cope well with repeated heavy draining. But if kept reasonably well charged they might be OK.

If you use it for powering the camera then it is sure to be fully discharged when you need it to start the car!

I think it is unlikely you will find one with pass through to provide power to the camera while charging.

Beyond the cam's PS and hardwire kits with LVP there are only 2 good options: LiIon/LiPo powerbanks or a dual-battery set-up like RV's use. Most other options (including jump-start packs) don't have enough capacity or will have a much-shortened lifespan when used this way. There are no easy and convenient answers to be found here as you're going to be swapping and charging powerbanks daily or paying lots of money for the ease of use and longevity of a second battery :(

My ancient van has a huge battery which allows me to run several cams for maybe 2 hours or one cam overnight without excessively shortening the battery's lifespan. Few cars will have that capacity and more to the point, few cams will tolerate being run constantly (which AFAIK will void any cam warranty) plus it wears out SD cards very quickly compared to their being used as was intended :eek:

If you're just looking for a few hours cam time and will recharge the pack every day then this might be a viable idea, but that's about all you'll get reliably and economically.

Phil

An alternative is to find a car battery charger that will run off a standard USB powerbank, then you can start your engine using any standard USB powerbank.

A decent USB powerbank will give out 4 amps at 5v = 20W, to start your car you need about 1000W for 3 seconds, so to put enough energy into your car battery from the USB powerbank to start your engine only needs a 3 minute charge, assuming your car battery is just empty rather than dead. I've never seen a 5v USB car charger for sale, but I know it can be done because I've done it.

I've used a 2.4A 18V power tool battery to jump-start my own car. Those who I got the idea from tell me that even the 9.6V tool batteries will do this but will need to be hooked up longer. Lead-acid batteries (in good condition) respond well to any charging input which is another reason why they are still the best reasonably priced car-starting battery technology we've got (even with their technology being much, much older than me :p ). The added power source is more restoring the state of charge in the car battery than in powering the starter; no small battery can provide the many hundreds of amps needed for this directly ;)

Phil

Hello and thank you for reply.
I am currently using Winycam X100FHD with LUKAS LK-530-12V. I do not why but the battery keep cam running only for 2 min. Probably time to replace the battery and idea was to use battery jump (just in case) and set camera to parking mode for 1 hour with motion detection.
Thank you

Back