Useless DVR-007

Sprintervan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought a DVR007 from estore009 on eBay for $60. It has all of the identifiers of a genuine DVR007. The device radiates *so much* RF that it knocks the FM radio *and* the Garmin GPS receiver off the air. I corresponded with the seller and he/she sent a replacement power supply, supposedly improved. It behaves identically. No FM radio, no GPS reception. The RF seems to be coming from the DVR device itself, not from the transformer in the plug end of the power adapter. Also, the internal battery does not work at all. After leaving it plugged in for any length of time, the device shuts down as soon as power is removed from the 12V power adapter and the DVR007 won't power up from the internal battery. Although the DVR seems to work as expected as a camera and makes pretty good video recordings, it's unusable in my van as it interferes with my GPS and my FM radio. As far as I'm concerned, this is a complete piece of junk.

Yep. It's well documented on this site that the DVR-XX7 has interference issues. You'd think they would fix the damned thing since it's so popular. Eventually I'll get a GPS and have to sell or give this thing away. It's working ok for me in its current role however.

Why did you buy the old 007 when he also sells the 207GS? I thought the latest model fixed the interferance problem. Why would you buy the two generations old 007?

007 ~> 207 ~> 207GS

How long did you own and use your 007' until you started having battery issues? Maybe a new battery may solve the issue of it turning off as soon as the cord is unplugged

My 007 turned on right out of the box, even thought he date shown was from late 2010 and ran fine for adjusting the settings, sd card formatting and preliminary testing.

Hopefully I will have no major FM interference as i mostly listen to CD's cause the stations around here are drowned out by the local country station, lol

Anyone have issues with using a radar detector and a dvr-007 at the same time???

<How long did you own and use your 007'>
I installed it the day after I received it. When I first set it up, the internal (non-replaceable) battery would *just* hold a charge for, maybe, one or two minutes before dying. Now it won't work at all.

<Why did you buy the old 007 when he also sells the 207GS>
I did not want the IR lights on the device. I need it to be inconspicuous as it was to be permanently mounted in a work van. And from what I'd read, the IR is pretty useless at night.

I'm not a dash-cam hobbyist. This was to be a work-related application. I spent a week or so reading a variety of reference material and thought I'd done due diligence in ordering a DVR007 from "estore009". The device I received is a real piece of junk, unusable near FM radio or a GPS receiver. Just thought I'd put this out for others who may be looking at the same sort of application and giving a heads up.

Have you contacted estore009 regarding the problem? They might be able to help you out.

Is there any chinese DVR which does NOT cause EMI with radio and/or GPS? The difference is just HOW bad i actually is...
I am still looking for tutorial what to do about this on existing devices.
like putting ceramic capacitors and ferrites on external wires, perhaps using copper spray/paste to coat the inner of the housing etc.

DashCamMan said:
Have you contacted estore009 regarding the problem? They might be able to help you out.
They responded quickly to my original report of problems and send a replacement 12V power cord. The replacement made no difference. Still *way* too much interference with my GPS and FM. Actually keeps the GPS from receiving any satellite signal at all.

[quote="adorfer]Is there any chinese DVR which does NOT cause EMI with radio and/or GPS?[/quote]
I have lots of other 12V powered electronic devices and they don't have this problem. That's because they are designed not to. The designers and manufacturers of the inexpensive dash cams apparently aren't concerned with this. Lesson learned.

There are some really bad cigarette-ligher USB converters out there. But that can be fixed by using better ones (with ferrites, more coils and blocking ceramics. If you open them and take a look at the PCB ou just see that there is more going on than just a simple step down converter consisting of an IC, an transistor, a coil and an eletrolyte).

But the noise just starts as soon as the DVR Powers up (even from it's internal tiny battery): I seen no point that i could do something about that.

Double post sorry.

Sprintervan said:
I installed it the day after I received it. When I first set it up, the internal (non-replaceable) battery would *just* hold a charge for, maybe, one or two minutes before dying. Now it won't work at all.

I have not seen a real DVR-027 that does not have a non-replaceable battery.
raylvd.jpg

Mine would turn off instantly when unplugged and then i found out the battery was not making contact with the device, pushed it back in and everything seems OK. If i unplug it while it is running it will turn itself off, but if i hold the camera in my hand unplugged and turn it on it will run for a little while.

Also in terms of interference i have seen one of these used that works alright.
5beejb.jpg

6 dollars at RadioShack. I am sure cheaper online. The one pictured you can wrap the cord and send it through the hole twice, but it helps cut down on interference a bit, but if you are sure it is coming from the camera itself i am not sure how to fix that. Someone mentioned before opening the case and lining the top with tin foil i believe i read, but i have no idea if this will fix your problem

I put 2 small ferrite beads I got at Radio Shack on the cigarette lighter side of the cable. They are too small to 'wrap' the wire around the bead. They helped, but not by much. I think I'll give that blocky one Checkyourheadlights posted a try.

At which end did you use it on, camera end or ciggy lighter end?

Horsepow3r said:
At which end did you use it on, camera end or ciggy lighter end?

I put two on the 12V Acc. socket side, two in the middle where the ran up inside the "A" pillar of my van, and two on the coax end where it plugs into the DVR007. It made a *very* small improvement in FM reception but not nearly enough to keep the Garmin GPS from being pushed off the air. This is just a crappy design. I don't think I should have to spend more money to a "fix" a poor, careless design. Ah well... This is why I'm kicking myself for breaking my "don't buy cheap Chinese electronics" rule. I never learn.

Horsepow3r said:
I think I'll give that blocky one Checkyourheadlights posted a try.

RadioShack Catalog #: 273-105 Snap-Together Ferrite Choke Core
I went in and asked the person working for it by name and he was a little confused. I gave him the part number and he found it right away.
Hopefully it will work for you as well as it has worked for me.

CheckYourLights said:
Horsepow3r said:
I think I'll give that blocky one Checkyourheadlights posted a try.

RadioShack Catalog #: 273-105 Snap-Together Ferrite Choke Core
I went in and asked the person working for it by name and he was a little confused. I gave him the part number and he found it right away.
Hopefully it will work for you as well as it has worked for me.
Which part of the cable do you have it on?

I have installed my 007 and had no FM interference at all, nor has the battery died and I have used it unplugged for some time now fiddling with it. From all the issues you seem to have with your 'cam I think you may just have a very defective unit.

I would agree with you that if i had the same issues, it would be worthless, but since you tried a new cord without any results I would try to get a replacement unit. Ebay should support you in this too.

Horsepow3r said:

I keep meaning to take a picture. It's closer to but not against the cig lead end, and it does not move anywhere because I ran it through once came around the block ran it through again closed the block and clipped it into place.

CheckYourLights said:
Horsepow3r said:

I keep meaning to take a picture. It's closer to but not against the cig lead end, and it does not move anywhere because I ran it through once came around the block ran it through again closed the block and clipped it into place.

Thanks. That's the best way to use them, by wrapping them. I'm going to grab one at Rat Shack and give it a whirl.

2nvwjyx.jpg

About 3 inches from cig lead end to the box.

I bought a DVRXX7 a few months ago and was unable to get it to follow menu settings. It had a mind of its own, plus, the radio interference was intolerable. I could get it to record...sometimes. It would keep shutting down, then come back on minutes later or not at all. It would record until full and flash "memory full".
While in Target a few weeks ago, I saw many different car chargers, some with a choice of two different end plugs. I bought the cheapest one to give it a try. It worked PERFECTLY. Radio absolutely clear. Also, the menu settings work. Is this my imagination? I don't care...my DVR works for a change. I admit I am not the best at this kind of stuff, but I worked for about five weeks with all manner of menu settings with no luck. Now, my DVR records 24/7 without a problem. (no night vision or motion detection)
The charger I bought was made by WIRELESS car phone charger and was made for Motorola with both mini and macro usb plugs. SKU #03083 cost 15 USD.
I hope this works for y'all like it did for me.

Larry H

Back