Using 0806 as a sports camera

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
I know, I know, it's not designed for that - especially given the wimpy battery, but, hear me out...

I go on runs with my kids (7mo and 2.5yo in a jogging stroller). I've been using the Xaimoi Yi camera - which has provided fantastic results. But, when I play back the video, I'm painfully aware that there is no GPS logging information.

Yet, when I review video from the 0806, I can see distance covered, routes taken, etc. in the Registrator viewer. Contour HD offers a 'sports camera' with integrated GPS - but I could buy three of the 0806 for the price of one Contour. And the 0806 resolution bests the Contour.

If only the 0806 had a beefier battery, it would be an ideal baby/jogging stroller dash cam. I guess I could always hook it up to one of those power banks that claim to have a gazillion mHa battery.

Just thinking out loud, I guess...

Sure, it'll work, but it'll be that much harder to find a good way to secure it on a stroller. I just wonder if the dash camera manufacturers have considered applying this hardware (with bigger, maybe removable battery) for the users who plan on using it in un-powered applications. Seems like they could bring good competition to the overpriced, under-featured GoPros of the world.

I know, I know, it's not designed for that - especially given the wimpy battery, but, hear me out...

I go on runs with my kids (7mo and 2.5yo in a jogging stroller). I've been using the Xaimoi Yi camera - which has provided fantastic results. But, when I play back the video, I'm painfully aware that there is no GPS logging information.

Yet, when I review video from the 0806, I can see distance covered, routes taken, etc. in the Registrator viewer. Contour HD offers a 'sports camera' with integrated GPS - but I could buy three of the 0806 for the price of one Contour. And the 0806 resolution bests the Contour.

If only the 0806 had a beefier battery, it would be an ideal baby/jogging stroller dash cam. I guess I could always hook it up to one of those power banks that claim to have a gazillion mHa battery.

Just thinking out loud, I guess...
One of the small powerbanks will power it for well over an hour, a 3,000 mah one will run for around 5 hours.

I've used mine outside many times, the problems are that it is not waterproof, or even showerproof, the lens has no protection so gets covered in fingerprints and the CPL falls off because it only has a magnetic attachment not designed for rough treatment. If those aren't an issue then go for it.

You can get mobile phone apps for tracking your route, distance, average speed etc but if you are going far then you will still need the powerbank!

As Nigel said, the use of a power block will give you tha ability to use the DVR away from a car, when I was testing out both my 0805 and 0806 I connected the DVR’s to the power block and went walking round my house/driveway testing them out

also as Nigel says, there are phone apps that track your movement and produce a record of where you’ve walked/ridden, with a list of other features (calories eaten up, distance covered, average pace, duration)

on my iPhone I have Runtastic, I’ve only use it once/twice (so can’t give you a review of it), and with something similar to a SJ4000 with wifi that can be had for under $100, that comes with a waterproof housing you’re well set up and no issues with water or anything else the outdoor can throw at it, you’ll be well set up, I think is a better option than using a DVR,

unless a waterproof housing can be made/found for a DVR

Back