Using 128GB microsd in DR650GW-2CH

Nir Hendler

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi,
As my 64GB card is good for 3-4 days of recording (When parking mode is enabled), I want at least a timeframe of a week.
I contacted BlackVue support concerning this and they replied that if i updated my DR650GW-2CH to firmware 2.002 I can use up to 128GB microsd.

Here is support answer for that:
Dear Customer,

The latest Cloud compatible firmware v.2.002 supports up to 128GB SD card. But make sure the SD card is MLC type and at least Class 10.

Sincerely
Pittasoft Support Team

My question is, Where can I found a 128GB microSD card which is MLC. I can't find this information in cards manufacturer sites.

Can someone assist?

Thanks!

There's not a lot of options for 128GB MLC MicroSD cards, most brands only go up to 64GB

Samsung Pro Plus cards maybe worth looking at

150$ for a 128GB card? that's pretty expensive? i thought MLC cards suppose to be cheeper.

eBay and China/Hong Kong is probably about the worst combo for trying to buy a genuine memory card

I can buy the same model in a respected store in my country. genuine is granted. the question is, will it fit?

it will fit, whether it's the right card for the job though I couldn't say, a couple of others use 128gb cards in their Blackvue's, maybe look at what others are using and go with something that is know to be compatible

SLC and MLC stand for Single-level cell and multi-level cell respectively. Here is a good thread to read in a Sandisk forum that discusses the differences at length. However considering the heat these units generate I'm not sure I agree with Pittasoft's recommendation of MLC, it has better endurance which might be better for more read/write cycles but it's less heat tolerant than SLC. Read on:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile...s/Which-are-MLC-TLC-MicroSD-cards/td-p/332885

I have been using a Samsung EVO 128GB from Best Buy for a few months now and it's worked out. I've seen Samsung cards on sites like gearbest and not sure if they're legit though.
Our customers have had success with Lexar 128GB but I don't remember which spec exactly.
Obviously there's Blackvue's own cards but they're $$$

SLC and MLC stand for Single-level cell and multi-level cell respectively. Here is a good thread to read in a Sandisk forum that discusses the differences at length. However considering the heat these units generate I'm not sure I agree with Pittasoft's recommendation of MLC, it has better endurance which might be better for more read/write cycles but it's less heat tolerant than SLC. Read on:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile...s/Which-are-MLC-TLC-MicroSD-cards/td-p/332885

not sure where this forum member gathered his info from, the high endurance cards use MLC flash rather than SLC

I have been using a Samsung EVO 128GB from Best Buy for a few months now and it's worked out. I've seen Samsung cards on sites like gearbest and not sure if they're legit though.
Our customers have had success with Lexar 128GB but I don't remember which spec exactly.
Obviously there's Blackvue's own cards but they're $$$

So i just ordered the Samsung EVO 128GB microSD. This is the safest one to order and hope it will get me at least 1 week of recording.

Hi,
As my 64GB card is good for 3-4 days of recording (When parking mode is enabled), I want at least a timeframe of a week.
I contacted BlackVue support concerning this and they replied that if i updated my DR650GW-2CH to firmware 2.002 I can use up to 128GB microsd.

Here is support answer for that:
Dear Customer,

The latest Cloud compatible firmware v.2.002 supports up to 128GB SD card. But make sure the SD card is MLC type and at least Class 10.

Sincerely
Pittasoft Support Team

My question is, Where can I found a 128GB microSD card which is MLC. I can't find this information in cards manufacturer sites.

Can someone assist?

Thanks!

It is strongly recommended to use the Pittasoft 128gb cards. We have been supplying these to customers with good results with using the 128gb cards in the 2CH & 1CH models.

Best of luck with using the 3rd party cards, but a lot of customers of BlackVue here have gone and ordered 3rd party 128gb cards to find issues occur in a couple of weeks or months down the track.

I do hope the 3rd party card works for you, but we strongly advise our customers against going out and buying 3rd party cards. As they often ring us when it doesn't work :)

Hi,
As you can see, I didn't got this response for Pittasoft itself. They told me to use 3rd party microSD cards.
Can you send me a link to a specific MicroSD from Pittasoft so i can review this option?

Thanks.

not sure where this forum member gathered his info from, the high endurance cards use MLC flash rather than SLC

WRONG!

Copy / Paste from Wikipedia

Single-level cell[edit]
Flash memory stores data in individual memory cells, which are made of
floating-gate transistors. Traditionally, each cell had two possible states, so one bit of data was stored in each cell in so-called single-level cells, or SLC flash memory. SLC memory has the advantage of faster write speeds, lower power consumption and higher cell endurance. However, because SLC memory stores less data per cell than MLC memory, it costs more per megabyte of storage to manufacture. Due to faster transfer speeds and expected longer life, SLC flash technology is used in high-performance memory cards. At least that is the conventional view. In February 2016, Schroeder et al presented a paper at Usenix FAST16 that concluded that MLC is as reliable as SLC.

Back