Using a different memory card

Roamer55

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

Dashcam came with a 16Gb card. A 64 Gb card had been purchased. What needs to be done to start using the new card in the dashcam? I am asking in behalf of someone else. He inserted the 64Gb card into the camera and it seemed to work, but I think the Thinkware software on the Windows PC is not finding the list of videos now for viewing. Was there a step missed when switching the cards? I suppose, too, that Dashcam settings would no longer be able to be altered using the 64 Gb card? Do files have to be copied to the new card in some way to make this work?

If you access the card via windows itself do u see the files then? It might be that the adaptor for the card is faulty ...

I'm just contacting the user now. When using a different SD card than what came with the camera, is it a matter of just inserting the new card into the Dashcam, or is there more to it than that? I'm just asking the user now if the Thinkview dashcam viewer on his Windows PC was able to find the videos automatically.
Do files have to be copied from old card to PC and then to new card to get all of this to work, or what is the proper procedure? When we were dealing with the SD card that came with the camera, we were able to change camera settings by using the Thinkview software on the Windows PC, but it would seem logical to me that if a different card were used, that wouldn't be possible anymore. (Would be nice if Thinkview had info on their website, but I haven't been able to find it yet.)
Thank you for any responses/assistance. :)

As far as i know you can just insert a new card in the camera and it should work
again the simplest way to check if there's anything on the card is access it via windows
(ie stick it in an adaptor and then into the pc card reader and access like you access a a harddisk)

Insert the new card in the camera, and format it (use the Format button on the Camera).
That will ensure that the required files are written to the card.
You should then be able to put the card in the PC, view the files, and change the settings.

RodeoGeorge

OK, thanks, guys. The dashcam owner contacted me and said he was able to view the videos on the computer, not clear if he used the Thinkview software or Windows, but he was able to see the files. I'll talk to him about using the Format button on the camera to make sure the proper files are written to the card.

Oh, one more thing...I think we made some changes to the camera's settings specific to the vehicle it will be in, and we changed the wifi password from the factory default. Would using the format button on the camera affect any of that? Actually, I'm not sure if any of the changes we made are still applicable with that new SD card inserted in the camera. I'm about a thousand miles or so away from the owner of the camera, so I'm just helping long distance. :)

Last edited:
The changes that you made "should" be stored in the Dashcam, and will be on the new SD Card when you format it.

RodeoGeorge

Thank you for the information. :) This is interesting...the dashcam user has told me that he can view all the recorded videos and see the camera's settings when he has the new SD card in the Windows PC. He says he didn't format the card. So it looks like the dashcam stored files on the card without the user having to do anything. :)

Thank you for the information. :) This is interesting...the dashcam user has told me that he can view all the recorded videos and see the camera's settings when he has the new SD card in the Windows PC. He says he didn't format the card. So it looks like the dashcam stored files on the card without the user having to do anything. :)

Most SD Cards come pre-formatted, and can be just inserted into the Dashcam.
There are some Dashcams that only use the Fat32 format, and in those cases the larger SD Cards (which sometimes come with an ExFat format) must be re-formatted to Fat32.

RodeoGeorge

Samsung evo running straight out a box :) and is free (on gift card) from best buy as they gave me 16GB when i purchased my dash cam

SALES

10393075 MB-MC32DA/C 19.99
SAMSUNG EVO+ 32 MSD
REG 29.99 WITH 10.00 APPROVED PRICE OVERRIDE DISC
----------
SUBTOTAL 19.99
HST NF 3.00
==========
TOTAL 22.99

xxxxxxxxxxxx4269 S GIFT CARD 22.99
APPROVAL 125086

xxxxxxxxxxxx4269