Using a iMac (apple) computer

David-ogopogodude

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can an Apple (iMac) be used effectively to view video clip footage of my FineVu 500HD?

I am of the understanding that only a stupid PC can be used to get the app to view footage.

I guess what I am really asking is this: Is there anybody out there that is USING A iMAC and has a FineVu car cam?

Last edited:
A Macintosh computer can run any type of video you wish to view.

The FineVu records in .AVI format which can be viewed on a Mac using VLC Media Player or MPlayer X. Both are free and are capable of running virtually any video codec you ask them to.
Simply drag the video files from your FineVu 500HD's microSD card to a folder on your desktop and use either of these two media players to open and view the files. With both programs you have controls to adjust the contrast, brightness, sharpness, saturation, color balance, gamma values, etc.

MPlayerX will allow you to use the gesture and touch based controls available to you via the Magic Track Pad or Magic Mouse. (very cool)

Last edited:
THANKS...!!! I am going to download this app and give it a try. Much appreciated.

And to add to the comments made by Dashmellow, that if you use VLC Media Player, there is an option in the upper menu bar to take a snapshot from the video footage: Video > Snapshot

Also might be worth trying MPEG Streamclip if you want to edit any footage or mute the sound, am surprised that iMovie doesn't play or edit the videos, though must confess I've never tried using it to view AVI files even though I have an iMac!

FWIW, MPlayerX also has a snapshot feature....along with other unique capabilities.

Another interesting thing one might consider trying is Handbrake a free Open Source video transcoder (for Windows, Mac and Linux) that you can use to convert nearly ANY video format to ANY other codec.
You could for example, convert the FineVu .AVI files to .MOV and then view or work with the files in QuickTime Player or iMovie.

Last edited:
FWIW, MPlayerX also has a snapshot feature....along with other unique capabilities.

Another interesting thing one might consider trying is Handbrake a free Open Source video transcoder (for Windows, Mac and Linux) that you can use to convert nearly ANY video format to ANY other codec.
You could for example, convert the FineVu .AVI files to .MOV and then view or work with the files in QuickTime Player or iMovie.

Cheers Dashmellow, have a feeling I gave MPlayerX a try some months ago but chose to stick with VLC . As to Handbrake, I used it many years ago but found the video quality wasn't as good as MPEG Streamclip, though I guess things may have improved. Am still using a 2007 iMac so don't have access to all the newer stuff, though find VLC and MPEG Streamclip and iMovie 7 and iMovie 9 provide everything I need to view and edit 1080p dashcam video clips without any problems. Since increasing the RAM it's still faster than my newer MacBook Pro!

Of course, Handbrake has had many updates over the years and is much more refined now. In fact, they just released a new update.

I'm not really familiar with MPEG Streamclip. I'll download it and take it for a spin. Thanks for the tip!

As for VLC vs MPlayerX I find both have their strengths and weaknesses so I keep both on my computer and use them at varying times.

Edit: I'm actually a fan of QuickTime Player. It is quite capable and has many useful hidden features most people don't seem to know about.

Last edited:
Now .. here is something a little off the thread topic but I wanna ideally have two cams in my car (front and back facing) ... so here is my Q:

...instead of 'upgrading' to a designated dual channel system like the BlackVu650 system which I am seriously considering, .... would it be stupid to get ANOTHER FineVu 500HD and rig it up (certainly not by me, but instead a qualified tech, recommended probably by Alex from Blackboxmy car, ..) and put it in the rear windscreen and then get another --whatever it is called-- thingy under my dash to have it work even during parked mode/doesn't drain battery..... ????

(by the way, ... i kinda only trust this Alex guy that is located in Vancouver)

Adding a 2nd single channel dashcam is pretty common. The dual channel systems available today are a bit of a compromise today in quality/stability. Having 2 singles gives redundancy. You can share two systems off one battery discharge prevention hard wire kit (no problem) Just use a Y-Splitter. If you're still researching, check out what @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert has to offer up north.

Now .. here is something a little off the thread topic but I wanna ideally have two cams in my car (front and back facing) ... so here is my Q:

...instead of 'upgrading' to a designated dual channel system like the BlackVu650 system which I am seriously considering, .... would it be stupid to get ANOTHER FineVu 500HD and rig it up (certainly not by me, but instead a qualified tech, recommended probably by Alex from Blackboxmy car, ..) and put it in the rear windscreen and then get another --whatever it is called-- thingy under my dash to have it work even during parked mode/doesn't drain battery..... ????

(by the way, ... i kinda only trust this Alex guy that is located in Vancouver)

Its really up to you if you want two separate cameras or a two channel system. Both have their benefits and costs.
Personally I prefer two channel systems, more because they are simpler to set up and operate.
However like Pier28 said you do have better redundancy, and image quality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AmericanDriver CR-500HD 9
Back