using a mobius for a rear dashcam

budster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm looking into getting a dashcam for the rear of my Honda Odyssey minivan to record vehicles behind me (already have a SG9665GC in the front). There's a 12V power outlet in the back on one side so hooking up to power will not be an issue. The minivan has a rear tailgate and the rear window has defroster lines on it so I don't think I should mount a dashcam on the rear window.

Reading thru some threads, it seems there's a general recommendation that a Mobius would be an ideal dashcam for this use (are there any other recommendations under a $100?). I do not know much about this dashcam so just wanted to see if I'm on the right track.

Planning to buy from buymobius.com to avoid fakes. I would like to have a capacitor based dashcam so looking in particular at http://www.buymobius.com/products/wide-angle-lens-mobius-actioncam-v3-c2-supercapacitor for $77.99. I don't want to mount the dashcam anywhere on the tailgate that lifts out so it would have to be mounted on the rear plastic headliner. I think I would need to get the adhesive mount at http://www.buymobius.com/collection...era-mounts/products/vhb-adhesive-camera-mount for this.

I'm not clear if I would need to get any other accessories. I'm not worried about USB car charger or cables since I have plenty of those. In particular, not clear if I need to get this mounting sleeve http://www.buymobius.com/collection...-sleeve-for-the-mobius-actioncam-1080p-camera. The $77.99 dashcam says it comes with a mounting bracket with 1/4"-20 nut. Not sure if this is the same as the mounting sleeve, but the pictures look similar.

Not sure whether the dashcam should be mounted in the center or in the corner closest to the 12V outlet. If it's in the center, it could obstruct the driver's view looking in the rear view mirror. But if it's in a corner angled towards the center, not sure if the recorded view would look that good. I guess I would have to see what's the best location once I receive the dashcam.

Appreciate any suggestions or tips on all this.

... Mobius would be an ideal dashcam for this use ... mounted on the rear plastic headliner ... If it's in the center, it could obstruct the driver's view looking in the rear view mirror.

It doesn't obstruct the rear view in my Mini Cooper, so should be no problem in your Honda. People don't appreciate how tiny Mobius is until they've got one in their hands.

image.jpg image.jpg

You don't need the spare sleeve (cradle), as it's supplied with the camera.

It doesn't obstruct the rear view in my Mini Cooper, so should be no problem in your Honda. People don't appreciate how tiny Mobius is until they've got one in their hands.

View attachment 18263 View attachment 18264

You don't need the spare sleeve (cradle), as it's supplied with the camera.

Hmm, you're using a DIY mount. Is that wood block attached to the car using velcro? I plan to get and use the adhesive mount (which is 2 inches tall) and I think this would drop the camera down lower and obstruct the view more than in your case.

Thanks for the pointer to that thread. From skimming thru it, it seems the DR32 mount is what I should get to mount the Mobius in the rear as it's the most shortest mount available.
I use a DR32 as a front cam. The mount doesn't have enough tilt to use with a Mobius in the rear. I ended up with this iSaddle CH-358 mount and it works perfectly. Amazon has several iSaddle mounts. 61UVpzO65dL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for the pointer to that thread. From skimming thru it, it seems the DR32 mount is what I should get to mount the Mobius in the rear as it's the most shortest mount available
You will find there is no shortage of suitable mounts for the Mobius. Also, lends itself to great DIYS solutions as well. You will be impressed as to the size of this camera. For me it is like having a fat credit card in your hand. It is not going to take up much space wherever you mount it.

I use a DR32 as a front cam. The mount doesn't have enough tilt to use with a Mobius in the rear. I ended up with this iSaddle CH-358 mount and it works perfectly. Amazon has several iSaddle mounts. View attachment 18265

When you say the DR32 mount doesn't have enough tilt to use in the rear, is that assuming it's mounted to the back window? I don't plan to mount it there, but instead on the top plastic trim in the back of the minivan. If I put it in the center, only thing I'd have to adjust is the up/down angle, which looks like can be adjusted with this mount.

Hmm, you're using a DIY mount. Is that wood block attached to the car using velcro? I plan to get and use the adhesive mount (which is 2 inches tall) and I think this would drop the camera down lower and obstruct the view more than in your case.

Mine is mounted from a cut-down door wedge, which is fixed to the rooflining with 3M adhesive tape.

image.jpg

I have the adhesive mount you mention above, however, I wouldn't be happy to see Mobius dangling from it every time I glance in the rear view mirror.

If you prefer to mount the camera in the corner near the 12V outlet, the 90° rotated version of Mobius may be the best choice for discreet installation.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is mounted from a cut-down door wedge, which is fixed to the rooflining with 3M adhesive tape.

View attachment 18296

I have the adhesive mount you mention above, however, I wouldn't be happy to see Mobius dangling from it every time I glance in the rear view mirror.

If you prefer to mount the camera in the corner near the 12V outlet, the 90° rotated version of Mobius may be the best choice for discreet installation.

View attachment 18297

Are you referring to the Mobius adhesive mount or the DR32 mount (or both) in regards to the mount not being low profile enough when looking at the rear view mirror? DR32 mount is more low profile so wondering if you think even this would obstruct the view looking in the rear view mirror.

Is that 90° rotated version of Mobius another DIY or is it a mount I can buy?

I personally like the helmet mount as long as all you need is tilt and not pivot. The strap comes off and it has a nice adhesive mount that is still detachable if need be.

Hmm, that's another interesting option. It looks like it might even be more low profile than the DR32 mount. Considering that now too. There are really a lot of mounting choices for this! Which makes it hard to decide what to get when you're not sure which option will work best.

Hmm, that's another interesting option. It looks like it might even be more low profile than the DR32 mount. Considering that now too. There are really a lot of mounting choices for this! Which makes it hard to decide what to get when you're not sure which option will work best.
When you have the Mobius, you will think of even more ways to mount. Enjoy :)

Are you referring to the Mobius adhesive mount...

I was referring to the Mobius adhesive mount (actually it's a generic mount available for $1 elsewhere), not the DR32 mount.

The 90° rotated version of Mobius is a specific model with it's CMOS imager rotated 90°, so the camera can be mounted on it's side yet still record video in the correct orientation.

Just do what i have done and keep buying different mounts until you get the one you want to keep. Mounts are cheap!

I used one of these in the rear of my Golf:

fromboot2.jpg frombackseat2.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252109650818
I had to cut away a small piece of plastic at the rear with a sharp knife to allow the power cable to plug in and added some velcro inside the front and rear to hold the camera snugly upside down without needing to use cable ties but it looks very neat.

Thanks

Gavin

Last edited:
I'm still partial to the Veho Muvi mount set up I have. It works great on the front and back windshield (of the hatchback) and allows me to remove the camera in a couple seconds and reinstall even quicker without adjusting anything. Though I do enjoy seeing everyone's creative install ideas. A simple magnet setup is genius.

My rear Mobius set-up.

Pic1%20x%201024_1.jpg~original

Pic2%20x%201024_1.jpg~original

Attachments

• Pic1 x 1024.jpg
    Pic1 x 1024.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Pic2 x 1024.jpg
    Pic2 x 1024.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 8
Back