Using a tripod for time lapse videos, would like user adjustable frame rate

John E Davies

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a brand new 422GW and in the short while I have used it I have been very impressed. I would like to take sunset/ moving cloud time lapse videos with it mounted on a tripod, but I need a much slower frame rate, say 5 seconds per frame. NOT 5 frames per second!

Is there a way to edit the standard time lapse video to output a saved file in a much slower rate (25 times slower)? I don’t understand why 5 frames per second was selected, it is way too fast for even slow city driving, much less watching clouds float by. What use is it with that fast speed? Maybe if you are crawling along in a Jeep at walking speeds.....

Adding user selectable speed between 1 and 10 seconds per frame, and a “Continuous Time Lapse Record” function would be a simple firmware change, and it would open up the camera for use in other than a driving scenario. Like a two hour sunset while camping.... i am sure that there are other owners who would love to be able to use it this way, with a simple tripod adapter.

Videos taken this way (still images every few seconds) have a VERY small file size, don’t use much power and don’t overheat your camera. With the high quality lens and HD resolution of this series cameras, they would look glorious.

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
I think you need to redo your maths, assuming playback at 60fps it would take you 5 hours to get a 1 minute video at 5 seconds per frame, a sunset only lasts 10 minutes, so that would be a 2 second sunset video.

You could record at normal speed if you wanted, any decent video editor will let you slow the video down/speed the video up by however much you want.

I want more than just the sun dropping away in 10 minutes. Like this one. It is about two hours actual time at 5 seconds per frame and 30 fps playback. The app was Lapse HD /R which no longer functions on my iPhone.

Oliver time lapse

There is another app that I am using now, called Frameograph. It has sliders to adjust the parameters.

DF7EFDE5-A726-4EF0-B2DE-50F3FF537E11.jpeg

I am happy enough to take them with my phone but the Nextbase results would be stunning in comparison.

It is impractical to take two hours of continuous HD video, the camera uses a bunch of power, gets hot and the storage needed is enormous. Then you would have to join all those short files....Doing it frame by frame makes way more sense.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
Don't know about the 422, but I generally get about 8 hours of 1080 FHD video on a 64 GB card, which means space is not an issue.

For power, the power consumption in timelapse mode will be not much less than in normal mode, but a 20000 mAh powerbank will keep a 1080 camera running for well over 24 hours, 48 hours for some cameras, so power is not an issue.

Joining all the short files can be automated, doesn't take much effort.

So I would probably record normally rather than in timelapse. 5fps video would of course mean less data to process so would be a bit faster to deal with, but then you loose the audio, and sometimes a timelapse with audio is worth having, although probably not when speeded up that much unless there were some thunder clips that could be included.

Of course the problem is that this is a dashcam, not designed for timelapses with huge speed increases, most people will probably want to view the timelapse video at real time (not speeded up), the low frame rate only being to save on card space. Action cameras do tend tend to have 5 second timelapse modes, although often only in photo mode, and you then need to convert the photos into a video.

Back