Using A119S as rear view camera

Siddhartha

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi,
This is my first post in the forum. You guys are great and I have relied on your reviews a lot on deciding to buy this DVR.
I have an android rear view mirror DVR installed in my outlander 2011. https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32806...ZVf&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite
It has an 8 inch screen with good resolution but the rear camera was pathetic . I wanted the option of the rear camera image to be present all the time on the screen as the field of vision which the camera provides is much more comprehensive than what you get by squinting in the usual rear view mirror. I really liked the low light performance of A119S, so I bought one and installed it on the rear windshield and connected it to my rearview mirror screen with a TRRS type B cable. The problem of excessive flickering was encountered which turned out to be a grounding issue. The image is excellent at night (although day time image is just ok, I wonder why! ). I found that there were 2 problems
1. The image is filled with all the data (gps, time, audio icon, recording icon). Wish there was a firmware where all these are discreetly put on the side or the base rather than haphazardly scattered all over the screen.
2. There should be an option to "mirror" the image so that it can be used as a rear view camera.
Will the developers please do something about it?

it needs a mirror image option in the display, not something you're going to see them add as an option in the camera, it would need to record in normal mode but view in mirror reverse, there's no business case for spending money to add this function, likewise moving or hiding the onscreen icons during recording is highly unlikely to happen

better solution would be to buy a decent quality reverse camera to work with your screen

Indeed.
And even with AV out on a dashcam you will still be getting the low resolution signal like on TV when we was kids, and on top of that a lot of icons as it is a dashcam.
While some screens have the option to mirror and flip the image in any way you like, you will be better off with a true reversing camera for that job, and a dashcam for recording.

Now you can get pretty high res analog cameras, but probably not something that can be handles by any screen, and i dont even think those high resolutions have translated into reversing cameras as it is not really needed for that job.

Back