Using an OTG cable with Mobius

I got a Mobius this morning. Curious if anyone has been able to get Mobius ActionCam app to work the video on a Pixel?

The Pixel comes with an OTG adapter which allows you to transfer files from the old phone to the pixel, I was able to fairly easy access and view the MOV files on the Mobius with it. The port on the Pixel is USB-C

However, when I switch to webcam mode on the mobius and try to view it on my phone, I just get connection errors.

I note that Android (7.1.2) has options when connected to switch to various modes, but none of them appear to work.

Pixel 128GB 7.1.2 Stock UnRooted.

Thanks!

Image of the OTG adapter attached.

Attachments

• 2017-05-15_123225.png
    2017-05-15_123225.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 4
Hmmm... the Android software is designed to do what you say can't be done. So I am looking into why I could not get it to work. Others have with success. That is why I am posting in a thread about OTG connections.

Attachments

• 2017-05-15_150917.png
    2017-05-15_150917.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 5
you wouldn't use the mobius as a webcam on Android when the phone already has two cameras built in, if anyone has it working on some other model phone I'd consider that an anomaly, not the norm at all

you wouldn't use the mobius as a webcam on Android when the phone already has two cameras built in, if anyone has it working on some other model phone I'd consider that an anomaly, not the norm at all
You are clearly missing the point and purpose. The idea is that you can SEE where the dashcam is pointing when you are IN the vehicle and you don't have a PC or notebook. This is to quickly see where it is pointing, make configuration changes etc... something the Android app is designed to do.

Once the dashcam is set, configured in the vehicle, then you disconnect the phone/app and use the dashcam as intended.

Note the Android app is ON the manufactures page which is where I found out about it.

The android app is at this link and was designed for the Mobius dashcam:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.chladek.mobiusactioncam&hl=en

Last edited:
I had a similar issue when getting my Mobius set up. I had to try several combinations of OTG cables, and USB-miniB cables to find a combo that worked in webcam mode with my Android phone and tablet. Even when it works, it is very fussy: sometimes it works fine, and other times it won't connect, for no apparent reason. I believe it may have something to do with the position of the stars when you were born? In any case, yes, Mobius DOES work with an Android phone or tablet, in both data storage mode and webcam mode, using an OTG cable, but you can't really predict when it will and won't work.

For me, it turned out that the Mobius has a wide enough angle lens that just pointing it generally forward gives a good picture, and trying to fine tune the view with webcam mode wasn't worth the aggravation.

WRT terminology, I understand "web cam" and "live view" as the same thing: streaming the output of the camera through a USB cable to either a computer or, using an OTG cable, a smart phone or tablet. There is also a "video playback" mode, that requires a special cable, that lets you play a video file that has been saved on the micro-SD card. It will generally be easier to copy the video file to your playback device with the camera in "removable disk" mode, which doesn't need a special cable.

WRT terminology, I understand "web cam" and "live view" as the same thing: streaming the output of the camera through a USB cable to either a computer or, using an OTG cable, a smart phone or tablet.

in the Mobius webcam mode only works when there is no memory card installed, live view is what you would be using when aiming the camera

in the Mobius webcam mode only works when there is no memory card installed, live view is what you would be using when aiming the camera
The Mobius Action Camera Manual () lists the following "modes": Recording Video Modes 1 and 2, Taking a Picture, Playback Mode (requires A/V cable), Removable Disk Mode, and Webcam Mode. Webcam mode can be entered with or without a memory card in place. There is nothing called "live view" in the documentation.

The Mobius Action Camera Manual () lists the following "modes": Recording Video Modes 1 and 2, Taking a Picture, Playback Mode (requires A/V cable), Removable Disk Mode, and Webcam Mode. Webcam mode can be entered with or without a memory card in place. There is nothing called "live view" in the documentation.

haven't seem webcam mode work with a memory card in, moot point though as the instructions are for PC, Android live view is something from the app

haven't seem webcam mode work with a memory card in, moot point though as the instructions are for PC, Android live view is something from the app
It worked for me. When I was struggling to get my OTG cable working, I tried every combination of connecting the camera when it was: OFF v ON, Card In v No Card, etc. With no card, connecting to computer activates webcam mode: fire up the webcam app, and the Mobius is listed as one of the signal sources. With card in, connecting activates Data Storage mode: camera appears as a disk drive. Press the shutter button, and the camera goes into webcam mode. Press the shutter button again, and it is back to Data Storage mode.

I got a Mobius this morning. Curious if anyone has been able to get Mobius ActionCam app to work the video on a Pixel?

The Pixel comes with an OTG adapter which allows you to transfer files from the old phone to the pixel, I was able to fairly easy access and view the MOV files on the Mobius with it. The port on the Pixel is USB-C.
The easiest solution for me was to turn the Mobius on for a minute or two so the it records, then plug in the phone using the OTG adapter and a cable with the app and view the recorded segment. Not really live but good enough.

I don't even need to use the app itself as the phone can see the files itself and play them with a variety of other apps already on the phone.

With the type of mount I am thinking of using, it will be easy to fix the position of the camera and lock it down, then using the mounts quick disconnect. Reattaching later will maintain that position in a reliable manner.

Last edited:
Back