Using AV Cable to Watch and Record Simultaneously

TeriTerryTarry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Several action cams
Has anyone used a cable with a micro USB connector at one end and an RCA plug on the other, connected the camera to a TV or monitor, and recorded video or taken pictures on the camera while simultaneously seeing the live view on the TV? SJCam claims the camera has this capability but was never able to demonstrate that such a cable exists or, alternatively, how to wire the connectors to this one: https://sjcamhd.com/shop/sjcam-accessories-av-cable/ I later came across this cable https://sjcamhd.com/shop/sjcam-accessories-tv-cable/ at their own online store that looks like the finished product I need, but SJCam never recommended it.

SJCam also said that TV Out in the Setup menu would need to be turned on. However, when using TV Out with HDMI connected to a TV the ability to record or take pictures is disabled. Therefore I wonder what setting should really be used.

Has anyone had any success with this? Thanks :)

Attachments

• 301437338.jpg
    301437338.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 301437366.jpg
    301437366.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Just checked my SJ4000 with HDMI out to a monitor and, with TV Out turned OFF,
I can monitor the video and CAN take Snapshots but can not Record. My firmware
version is G20150408V02. Guess they are not doing any more updates for this model.

version is G20150408V02. Guess they are not doing any more updates for this model.

Can I ask please if your camera is the standard model or the Wi-Fi model? Mine is the Wi-Fi model and has the same firmware version as yours.

the first cable you have posted is the one I bought and have used for months...

Trouble is, sj stupidly left you having to turn the AV out on in the settings every time the camera is switched on

Both of mine are the SJ4000 WiFi version

My camera is like yours in that I need not have TV Out turned on in order to see the camera view on the TV. The camera automatically recognizes the HDMI connection. But you're definitely one up on me with the ability to take pictures. Thanks for the reply DWilks. Cheers :)

Last edited:
the first cable you have posted is the one I bought and have used for months...

Trouble is, sj stupidly left you having to turn the AV out on in the settings every time the camera is switched on

Just so I understand, the first cable is the one with bare wires on one end. You attached the RCA plug yourself to the other end? Do you recall which of the four wires you used for the RCA plug? What did you do with the other three wires?

two wires are marked plus an minus and the other 2 are the AV, but its over a year ago I fitted it and since then I rewired a 0806 fitting onto the wiring to run that on AV and record..

if you get the power right, you really cant go wrong but I wouldn't bother with an sj4000 purely because you will never bother to switch the AV on in the settings every time the camera starts..

right naffers sj !!!!

sj ....:p

two wires are marked plus an minus and the other 2 are the AV, but its over a year ago I fitted it and since then I rewired a 0806 fitting onto the wiring to run that on AV and record..

if you get the power right, you really cant go wrong but I wouldn't bother with an sj4000 purely because you will never bother to switch the AV on in the settings every time the camera starts..

right naffers sj !!!!

sj ....:p

Right. When I use the HDMI connection the camera recognizes it automatically and I don't need to switch anything in the Setup menu, but of course I can't record or take pictures either. I can see how having to change the setting every time would be a real pain. Thanks and cheers :)

I'm somewhat embarrassed to discover I was wrong - my camera also takes snapshots when connected by HDMI to a monitor. Thanks for setting me straight! :):D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R SJ4000 0
Back