Using Blackboxmycar's hardwire kit on a different branded dash cam

• Thread starter Deleted member 74272
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 74272

Originally used on a Thinkware F800 Pro but I've noticed the quality isn't that great compared to a budget 4K camera. The one I've been looking at is the myGEKOgear Orbit 960.

The kit I have has a DC connection and the Orbit 960 has micro usb. I ended up buying this.

Should this work? I'm just afraid of frying a connection with the vehicle or the camera.

The cam should comje with a power supply or hardwire kit which converts the voltage. Alternately you can use a good aftermarket PS and good USB cabling. Don't try using the car's USB ports as those rarely supply adequate power for a dashcam.

Phil

Much appreciated guys.

I ended up returning the unit. I have a jeep cherokee and the installation was a pain the first time around. I didn't want to disconnect and purchase a new kit so I might just stick with thinkware for the time being...even though the quality isn't THAT great. That 3.5 DC to micro usb was also too big, good thing it wasn't the right size had I attempted to test it.

no, you'll put 12v into the camera that runs on 5v, don't do it near a smoke alarm, the noise is annoying
Sounds like you are speaking from experience :unsure:

Well all my life i have shared my mistakes in the hope people would learn from them, and it seem like everyone i told have taken that as a invite to do the same level of stupid or even try to outdo me.

I remember connecting a 5V bicycle headlingh bulb to a mains socket, that blacked out not only the loft room i was in but also the 6 apartments below me, the janitor have to be called to reset the fuse board which was down in basement level for each "group" of apartments.

Back