USING DASH CAM AFFECTING DRIVING

tabetha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any body here noticed they drive differently now they use a cam ?, I am the first to admit it has calmed me down as I think in the back of what little mind I have that all my actions are also "on record", I am no angel but do find I think more on the roads as anything that I do wrong is also caught, it makes me more contented now to drive with a cam as I didn't like it at first.

Has any body here noticed they drive differently now they use a cam ?, I am the first to admit it has calmed me down as I think in the back of what little mind I have that all my actions are also "on record", I am no angel but do find I think more on the roads as anything that I do wrong is also caught, it makes me more contented now to drive with a cam as I didn't like it at first.

I believe it makes you think twice about your actions which can make you a better driver

There's a thread on this subject somewhere on DCT already ;) My cam hasn't much changed how I drive, perhaps i pay a little closer attention to the speedometer than before since I know my speed can be extrapolated from my recordings :rolleyes:

Phil

I would say yes, but then i go and make a bad decision like yesterday, and suddenly i doubt if i aam that good a driver,,, maybe i am just using my luck there instead of on the lottery.
Really i should not have made that turn right there :oops:

I would say yes, but then i go and make a bad decision like yesterday, and suddenly i doubt if i aam that good a driver,,, maybe i am just using my luck there instead of on the lottery.
He was going to have to slow down anyway so would still have been annoyed!

But it is educational to be able to look back on these events and work out who was really at fault and how you could avoid the issue in future, you often see it differently to how you saw it at the time.

The mini 0906 does an interesting job of capturing sound, don't remember hearing the little lawn mower engine you have in the Suzuki before :sneaky:

I was stabbing it and had it not been for the trailer guy there would have been no issue, or at worst the guy had to lower his speed to the 80 km/h max on a Danish highway.

After he passed us i overtook the trailer guy too, and even me doing 90 KM/h on my GPS app on the phone ( waze like app ) he just left me in the dust.

I think he only got that close to scare me, its not like we was obscured by clouds so our unfortunate moves should have been no big surprise.

It is a second or milisecond you were distracted and not paying atention and turn in front of oncoming car,that can happens to everyone of us.What makes you great man is that you confess your mistake,to you and everyone else.Most of people cant do that and saying that is always someone elses guilt/fault.:cool:

It is only fair, i upload the other people and so i should also upload myself.

And that's why i can never be a politician, only a dictator at best,,,, but i would be a very special dictator for sure.

IMO you did nothing wrong, you were not expecting this moron to be travelling at the speed of light, had he not been doing so he would not have made himself angry, you have not got your foot on his accelerator he/she has, unlike a lot of the doddery old coffin dodgers around here at least you accelerated hard to get up to 80km/h/t it was VERY obvious to see how he was driving by the way he raced up your rs

hehe yeah i have never been easy on the gas pedal, its totally beyond me why i dont have a single speeding ticket to my name, when i was younger i dident bother with just about any society rule in Denmark, me and the people i was hanging out with had our own set of norms to live by.

Has any body here noticed they drive differently now they use a cam ?
As much as I hate to admit it when i first got my license I used to be a little bit of a jerk. Nothing too horrible, but it has always stuck in my mind that I used to block intersections. Not so much on purpose, but I would just be in traffic and not be minding the light and space ahead as much as I should have been.

Once I really realized what I was doing I felt kind of bad about it, and make sure to be more aware of what I am doing. While even with the camera I tend to get slightly irritated now and again at just how bad some drivers are. It still helps me be a little more calm and relaxed behind the wheel because I know it has my back.

Also after having one for awhile and seeing a lot of videos on YouTube of rear ends I tend to make sure I keep enough space between the car in front of me and my car so that if I do get rear ended I won't take out the car in front of me

As much as I hate to admit it when i first got my license I used to be a little bit of a jerk. Nothing too horrible, but it has always stuck in my mind that I used to block intersections. Not so much on purpose, but I would just be in traffic and not be minding the light and space ahead as much as I should have been.

Once I really realized what I was doing I felt kind of bad about it, and make sure to be more aware of what I am doing. While even with the camera I tend to get slightly irritated now and again at just how bad some drivers are. It still helps me be a little more calm and relaxed behind the wheel because I know it has my back.

Also after having one for awhile and seeing a lot of videos on YouTube of rear ends I tend to make sure I keep enough space between the car in front of me and my car so that if I do get rear ended I won't take out the car in front of me
We have all been there.

Yep, back then a video camera was like 10 - 15 kilos and the size of a stinger missile launcher, and not least no damn internet.

O this was when i was in my 20ties, but i was also still pretty stupid and reckless then.

I like to keep 5 seconds between myself and the car in front, unless in town of course, on a recent disabled driving assessment I was criticised for driving too far back, better than too close I said, there's plenty of room and if some one wants to overtake they can have a nice gap to get into, NB I was doings same as other traffic

I like to keep 5 seconds between myself and the car in front, unless in town of course, on a recent disabled driving assessment I was criticised for driving too far back
When traffic is moderate or light, everything flows more smoothly when you leave plenty of space.
You know those dramas when someone nearly misses their exit, and has to choose between cutting across suddenly or missing the turn? Well when there's plenty of space, there is no drama. It all works out. The traffic just flows smoothly and there is no stress. It works to everyone's benefit. It REDUCES congestion in town.
If you have reached the speed you want, it makes no difference to you if you are 1 second behind the vehicle in front, or 10 seconds. When traffic conditions allow it, I'll fall back further than I need. Driving as close as possible to the vehicle in front is a terrible habit that we aren't even aware of, but it causes constant complication and stress, and takes away opportunities to help yourself and others.

I've recorded and watched clips demonstrating this - it is educational, but it isn't necessarily the most watchable stuff for uploading.

Yep. It has changed my driving. I tend to set my cruise control to 75mph for motorway and live with it. I kind of did that anyways but I'm more religious about it now.

It's more my town driving that has changed. It has made my driving experience more tranquil.

I feel more relaxed now with dash cam caught more than a few near misses mostly involving other cars not mine, I keep forgetting I have cruise control first car I have had with it, I find it odd pressing the + button adds 1.6mph each time, just seems an odd amount

If you have an accident and you've caught yourself on cam doing anything stupid, then the SD card is no more than 1 good foot stamp away from total destruction (in theory of course - I wouldn't advocate actually destroying evidence).

If you have an accident and you've caught yourself on cam doing anything stupid, then the SD card is no more than 1 good foot stamp away from total destruction (in theory of course - I wouldn't advocate actually destroying evidence).
Do you ware stilettoes?
SD cards are not that easy to destroy!

Back