Using dash cam parking mode in winter!

vixcrack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using a bakckvue Dr 750 2 channel with lte, and just hit a major draw back. Now that British winter is upon us, am I right to assume that the dash cam is practically useless, as when the windows freeze, the dash cam won't capture anything in parking mode. Is there anyway to go round this?, I really wish the dash cam had some function to demist the viewing part of the dash cam.

You'd have to rig some kind of electric heater that keeps the glass in front of the camera above freezing. This would drain you battery very fast.

My dashcam gets so hot it melts the ice in an area about 8x8 inches. So it's not useless. This works as long as I drive the car about an hour (daily) so it keeps running off my battery packs. Not useless.

Last edited:
You'd have to rig some kind of electric heater that keeps the glass in front of the camera above freezing. This would drain you battery very fast.
Hmm, I thought the camera was able to emit some heat from the vents to defrost the window, would be a call feature but probably not practical and there is risk of causing a fire I suppose. So any other solutions, for using the dash cam in winter?

Some windshield-mounted cams de-ice or de-mist to a degree but not by intent; just a by-product of the heat they produce in operation. None will clear more than mild cases. IMO still worth having the cam going as it will capture till it's view is obscured which could be as much as a few hours based on location and conditions. Better than nothing ;)

Phil

Reactions: Mtz
How are you powering it? Car batteries also suck during winter.

My van has an 80A battery so it's up to the job as it's driven daily. Cars with smaller batteries might have problems. Powerbanks make for a good solution but to be kept charged up. Still not enough 'juice' on tap to run an electric defroster device plus you'd need one at every cam. Just no practical easy solution for now.

Phil

I've thought of slapping a small "Peltier Thermocouple" on the windshield but those I'm aware of are too power-hungry. Probably smaller ones are made now, been decades since I've looked into that.

Phil

So during winter is better to use for example the Viofo option called Auto-Detect instead of wasting space on card on Low Bitrate or Time-lapse parking mode features.
It is very simple: snow = do not record.

I've noticed on cold days that frosts the windshield, the windshield around the Dash camera is "generally ok". Since the Dash Cameras generate heat. But if you are getting snow or freezing rain, then the camera isn't going to do much to melt it.

I guess some sort of heating element would be needed to clear enough space off the windshield for the camera's visibility. I'd still run parking mode. As it may capture an event, even if it is blurry or partially obstructed. You could always buy a 12V fuse socket adapter and hardwire one of these to run on those wintry days, but I have to imagine it'd drain your battery quite a bit.

Examples of Heaters

Last edited:
Back