Using dashcam in Europe - legal?

tsutton

New Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
14
Likes
0
Country
United Kingdom
#1
Hi all,

In 3 months time, we will be driving from the UK to Europe and my car is fitted with a dashcam setup.

From reading around - France is fine. Luxembourg is no no. Not sure about Switzerland & Italy.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
 

fremder

New Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2013
Messages
12
Likes
1
Country
Switzerland
#2
tsutton said:
Hi all,

In 3 months time, we will be driving from the UK to Europe and my car is fitted with a dashcam setup.

From reading around - France is fine. Luxembourg is no no. Not sure about Switzerland & Italy.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
I drove very often to Germany, France, Italy & in Switzerland with the dashcam, no problem. Austria is however prohibited.
 
OP
OP
T

tsutton

New Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
14
Likes
0
Country
United Kingdom
#3
fremder said:
I drove very often to Germany, France, Italy & in Switzerland with the dashcam, no problem. Austria is however prohibited.
Thanks, while I am aware you've said "no problem" but what is it in "legal status"? Is it OK or illegal? That's my question that I can't find the answer to...

Main reason why I ask was - let's assume I got stopped, I want to know where I stand in regarding to dashcam system,

Cheers for the reply,
 

fremder

New Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2013
Messages
12
Likes
1
Country
Switzerland
#4
tsutton said:
fremder said:
I drove very often to Germany, France, Italy & in Switzerland with the dashcam, no problem. Austria is however prohibited.
Thanks, while I am aware you've said "no problem" but what is it in "legal status"? Is it OK or illegal? That's my question that I can't find the answer to...

Main reason why I ask was - let's assume I got stopped, I want to know where I stand in regarding to dashcam system,

Cheers for the reply,
It's legal.
 

drh

Member
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
65
Likes
8
Country
Lithuania
Dash Cam
Mobius, SJ 1000, 808#16,
#5
fremder said:
tsutton said:
fremder said:
I drove very often to Germany, France, Italy & in Switzerland with the dashcam, no problem. Austria is however prohibited.
Thanks, while I am aware you've said "no problem" but what is it in "legal status"? Is it OK or illegal? That's my question that I can't find the answer to...

Main reason why I ask was - let's assume I got stopped, I want to know where I stand in regarding to dashcam system,

Cheers for the reply,
It's legal.
Correct. And as you mentioned before it is only illegal in Austria.
 
OP
OP
T

tsutton

New Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
14
Likes
0
Country
United Kingdom
#8
Thanks all.

Need to find a way to cover up my camera when I'm in Luxembourg!
 
OP
OP
T

tsutton

New Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
14
Likes
0
Country
United Kingdom
#9
iamdrumming said:
It's a privacy issue. That's why there is also no Google Earth Street View in Austria.
Same with Luxembourg too - it's a shame because I was hoping I could see the street view to see where we're going and know where/what they look like!
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2014
Messages
1
Likes
0
Location
Nr Kalamata
Country
Greece
#10
To update this thread dashcams have been ruled illegal in:-
GERMANY, AUSTRIA,SPAIN,BELGIUM,LUXENBOURG,PORTUGAL.
For instance a fine in Austria could cost you 10,000 euro for a first offence
and 25,000 euro subsequent offences ...

Totally crazy making this item illegal based on privacy laws.....Oh by the
way its not illegal to film evidence AFTER you have an accident !!!!
 

Ipol

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 24, 2013
Messages
716
Likes
281
Country
France
Dash Cam
Lukas LK7900. V2000GS dual front and rear dashcam
#11
another example of bureaucratic stupidity.....why not ban mobile phones after all they can photograph/video and with the android app google map your route.Just place it so that the camera is videoing your route.Yet again another example of the inmates running the asylum.....Dashcams are an essential part of driving today, privacy my #### Perhaps the no brainers who passed the law do not wish to be caught on film doing something that they should not be.While you are about it ban radar cameras and street surveillance cameras..... after all you are invading my privacy. Ipol
 

Dashmellow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
11,429
Likes
11,852
Location
Uncanny Valley (●_●)
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC, Mobius/M2 (x7), GT680W (modded), DR32, others
#13
Would you please post a link to the source of this information. Thanks.
I too would like to see some documentation about this claim. Some searching turned up nothing beyond the well known Austrian ban. The Wikipedia entry on Dash Cams (last updated April 5, 2014) goes into a brief discussion about dash cam legality and documents that they are forbidden in Austria, clarifies that they are legal in Australia but mentions nothing regarding any other countries.
 

extraoneya

Active Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2014
Messages
375
Likes
150
Location
Calif, USA, near the ocean
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 Finevu Pros for front & rear
#16
USA courts rulings have come out that ruled (I believe these dealt w/ police cases), that in a public area open to all, a person has no "expectation of privacy" & that videos of them doing something, is permitted.

This seems to differ from what has been posted here about Austria & possibly other countries.
 

CheckYourLights

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2012
Messages
2,840
Likes
951
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
#17
I had the exact same thought when I read the entry. I'm not registered as an editor, otherwise I'd fix that omission!
I think you can edit things without an account. When I was younger I used to edit and update Discography sections for different music I listened to without an account, but sometimes for some reason it would get reverted back. I figured because I maybe did not fallow the correct format so I gave up.

The article page itself could sure use an update using some info from here as well. Might help people find better information. I really wish i knew the format better.
 

Ipol

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 24, 2013
Messages
716
Likes
281
Country
France
Dash Cam
Lukas LK7900. V2000GS dual front and rear dashcam
#19
@ Dashmellow yes I checked the Wikipedia site as well. Sorry to sound off in the previous post but some decisions and arguements made in the name of privacy are just beyond belief.Next they will be poking peoples eyes out with a stick in case they invade some ones privacy by looking at them. Ipol
 

Dashmellow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
11,429
Likes
11,852
Location
Uncanny Valley (●_●)
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC, Mobius/M2 (x7), GT680W (modded), DR32, others
#20
I think you can edit things without an account. When I was younger I used to edit and update Discography sections for different music I listened to without an account, but sometimes for some reason it would get reverted back. I figured because I maybe did not fallow the correct format so I gave up.

The article page itself could sure use an update using some info from here as well. Might help people find better information. I really wish i knew the format better.
You are right! The Wikipedia Dash Cam page is unprotected and therefore can be edited without registering. Link added!

Edit: I chose to link to the forums rather than the home/comparison page as my intention is informational rather than for shopping.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Top