Using dashcam in Europe - legal?

tsutton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In 3 months time, we will be driving from the UK to Europe and my car is fitted with a dashcam setup.

From reading around - France is fine. Luxembourg is no no. Not sure about Switzerland & Italy.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

tsutton said:
Hi all,

In 3 months time, we will be driving from the UK to Europe and my car is fitted with a dashcam setup.

From reading around - France is fine. Luxembourg is no no. Not sure about Switzerland & Italy.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
I drove very often to Germany, France, Italy & in Switzerland with the dashcam, no problem. Austria is however prohibited.

fremder said:
I drove very often to Germany, France, Italy & in Switzerland with the dashcam, no problem. Austria is however prohibited.

Thanks, while I am aware you've said "no problem" but what is it in "legal status"? Is it OK or illegal? That's my question that I can't find the answer to...

Main reason why I ask was - let's assume I got stopped, I want to know where I stand in regarding to dashcam system,

Cheers for the reply,

tsutton said:
fremder said:

Thanks, while I am aware you've said "no problem" but what is it in "legal status"? Is it OK or illegal? That's my question that I can't find the answer to...

Main reason why I ask was - let's assume I got stopped, I want to know where I stand in regarding to dashcam system,

Cheers for the reply,
It's legal.

fremder said:
tsutton said:
fremder said:

Cheers for the reply,
It's legal.
Correct. And as you mentioned before it is only illegal in Austria.

Just out of interest, why is it illegal in Austria?

sludgeguts said:
Just out of interest, why is it illegal in Austria?

It's a privacy issue. That's why there is also no Google Earth Street View in Austria.

Thanks all.

Need to find a way to cover up my camera when I'm in Luxembourg!

iamdrumming said:
It's a privacy issue. That's why there is also no Google Earth Street View in Austria.

Same with Luxembourg too - it's a shame because I was hoping I could see the street view to see where we're going and know where/what they look like!

To update this thread dashcams have been ruled illegal in:-
GERMANY, AUSTRIA,SPAIN,BELGIUM,LUXENBOURG,PORTUGAL.
For instance a fine in Austria could cost you 10,000 euro for a first offence
and 25,000 euro subsequent offences ...

Totally crazy making this item illegal based on privacy laws.....Oh by the
way its not illegal to film evidence AFTER you have an accident !!!!

another example of bureaucratic stupidity.....why not ban mobile phones after all they can photograph/video and with the android app google map your route.Just place it so that the camera is videoing your route.Yet again another example of the inmates running the asylum.....Dashcams are an essential part of driving today, privacy my #### Perhaps the no brainers who passed the law do not wish to be caught on film doing something that they should not be.While you are about it ban radar cameras and street surveillance cameras..... after all you are invading my privacy. Ipol

Would you please post a link to the source of this information. Thanks.

I too would like to see some documentation about this claim. Some searching turned up nothing beyond the well known Austrian ban. The Wikipedia entry on Dash Cams (last updated April 5, 2014) goes into a brief discussion about dash cam legality and documents that they are forbidden in Austria, clarifies that they are legal in Australia but mentions nothing regarding any other countries.

USA courts rulings have come out that ruled (I believe these dealt w/ police cases), that in a public area open to all, a person has no "expectation of privacy" & that videos of them doing something, is permitted.

This seems to differ from what has been posted here about Austria & possibly other countries.

I had the exact same thought when I read the entry. I'm not registered as an editor, otherwise I'd fix that omission!
I think you can edit things without an account. When I was younger I used to edit and update Discography sections for different music I listened to without an account, but sometimes for some reason it would get reverted back. I figured because I maybe did not fallow the correct format so I gave up.

The article page itself could sure use an update using some info from here as well. Might help people find better information. I really wish i knew the format better.

In Poland, Russia it should be mandatory :)

@ Dashmellow yes I checked the Wikipedia site as well. Sorry to sound off in the previous post but some decisions and arguements made in the name of privacy are just beyond belief.Next they will be poking peoples eyes out with a stick in case they invade some ones privacy by looking at them. Ipol

I think you can edit things without an account. When I was younger I used to edit and update Discography sections for different music I listened to without an account, but sometimes for some reason it would get reverted back. I figured because I maybe did not fallow the correct format so I gave up.

The article page itself could sure use an update using some info from here as well. Might help people find better information. I really wish i knew the format better.

You are right! The Wikipedia Dash Cam page is unprotected and therefore can be edited without registering. Link added!

Edit: I chose to link to the forums rather than the home/comparison page as my intention is informational rather than for shopping.

Last edited:
Back