Using G1W as remote wireless camera, game cam, or even Macro

Rocketvapor

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've have 2 G1W cameras, one for almost a year, the other about a month. One for the car, the other to experiment with. Both bought from Spytec.
The older one shows firmware version 2015.0406.00 and the newer one 2013.05237.01. Both work fine.
I bought the second one because I modified the first one.
This is one really neat little camera. Video, stills, DVR, and a Display. All for $51.

Anyone else out there playing with this camera?
Some of the things I've tried.
Removed the M12 lens, with the IR blocking filter, and added a screw in filter that I could take out for IR night shots. But, the best modification was to cut a larger hole in the cover and mount a C sized adapter and glue a Pentax K extension ring on the front. I can now use M12 lenses, C/CS lenses, Pentax K lenses and with a K to M42 adapter Pentax screw mount lenses.
G1W-adapters_zpsbjleuv7a.jpg

MultiFormat_zpsq4szg5mp.jpg

With a 5.8Ghz Transmitter and Helix, 12 volt battery (Note camera runs off 5V) I have a remote wireless video camera. Connecting the external video cable turns off the display though so an external monitor is handy for setting up the zoom, focus, etc.

P1200285_zpszwidza5j.jpg

Moon Shot taken with G1W
18510064_zpsjohteg98.jpg

Without the IR blocking filter and low light (almost dusk)
17070022_zpsefk2udvq.jpg

and a shot with IR light from my home security cam. Not enough IR light to see that 98 yard target though.
P1200472_zpslibns5qd.jpg

One more shot before I go. This was taken with the IR blocking filter installed. The 6 inch target you see on the fence post is at 20 yards.
The 98 yard target on the G1W screen is at the far tree line (you can't see it).
DashCam-98yds_zps6a3xnkh5.jpg

and a Macro shot. Wireless of course :)
P1200316_zpsovugcm6t.jpg

I'll add to this thread as I get the time.

Last edited:
Make a night time video using the G1W, a 7.5-50mm f1.4 lens and a T67 IR 850nm flashlight
G1W-with-50mm_zps6j3lu3cd.jpg

Here's the Video, it's in HD off the Micro SD card
It's not a 5-50, Made a mistake on the video.

Last edited:
played a little more with the G1W, man this is fun :)
I have a homebuilt mini camper than donated it's Red White and Blue for a daytime color test.
P1600380_zpsb482543f.jpg

Here are the as recorded images with different filters
IR%20Block_zpsxyqrlxag.jpg

Well try same with 850nm light tonight if the weather permits.

I've looked through the firmware section and couldn't find this:
Any way to save setting and have camera start up with same setting as when shut down.
Such as start up in Still mode, Black and White???
I know, why would anyone not want a dashcam to start up recording :)

Anyone else out there playing with this camera?

@Rocketvapor, I really like what you are doing here with your G1W mods. Glad to see someone exploring these possibilities.

To answer your question, some of us have experimented with DIY mods on the G1W and other cameras such as swapping lenses and removing IR cut filters.I don't believe anyone has installed alternative lens mounts however.

While nothing like what you are doing, I modified a G1W-H to accept a higher quality optic for much improved results and better ventilation. Later I used the same camera without an IR-Cut filter deployed under the IR illumination from an existing CCTV system with interesting, reasonably successful results.

There is huge potential for what might be accomplished with this class of miniature digital camera. In fact, I wonder if you might already be familiar with some of the high end mods of the GoPro from companies like Radiant Imaging which have been adapted for C mount lenses for professional cinematography? If not you will probably enjoy checking out what the company does and offers. There's also Back-Bone who offers many alternative lens mounts similar to what you've used.

longlens.jpg

Novo1.jpg

Any way to save setting and have camera start up with same setting as when shut down.

To answer your other question, I think someone with your skills and interests might enjoy exploring the capabilities of the Mobius camera, if you are not already familiar with it. For one thing it can be programed to start up in and can be manually switched to different modes which might accomplish what you are after. The Mobius is essentially an enthusiast's camera to begin with that offers a lot of granular operational control over what the camera can do along with a lot of opportunity for physical modification, lens swapping and manual focus. There is literally no other camera on the market that has the depth of photographic exposure and color balance control available to the users as the Mobius. It's also a very rugged and well built camera for a modestly priced camera, unlike the G1Ws which have a history of failing before too long.

Check out this link for a view of the firmware controls on the Mobius and check out the rest of the page for a more complete overview.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0ec3b6e3ff37b9d749f40d&p=25178932&postcount=6

P.S. For future reference, threads like this one really belong in the DIY forum where they are more likely to be seen by people who might be more interested in this kind of thing. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I like the G1W for the fact that you get a 'system' for about 50 bucks :)
I stole the one from the car because I needed a long range wireless range cam for a shooting event. Then a friend showed me his DIY Digital Night vision, and I branched off into that.
I've got some cameras a little higher up the food chain but the Mobius does looks like something I might check out though.
Just not into the GoPro crowd (the I-phone of action cams) :)
Figured I might give someone an idea that wouldn't set them back much.

This thread grew and I agree it might be better suited to the DIY area. Can it be moved?

I've asked @DashCamMan to move the thread. I'm sure he'll do that when he gets the message.

I'm not a GoPro guy either but I am a dedicated Mobius head as it is a versatile, customizable, high quality, tiny camera that costs only around 70 dollars. Since it was initially designed for FPV video it was basically designed for wireless AV out (using the available wiring harness) in either 16:9 or 4:3 format while at the same time recording onto the microSD card in HD. It would lend itself well to use as a wireless range spotting camera. I use them as dash cams, temporary surveillance cameras, for stealthy wildlife observation and for macro videography. I even carry one in my pocket and use it as a voice memo device, video cam and still camera. (It shoots 2304 x 1536 pixel stills). You'd probably have endless hours of fun with it.

There is also a plug-in super-capacitor available for the Mobius that allows you to avoid using a battery in hot or sub freezing temps and there are many other interesting parts and mods available as well. One favorite is the available lens cable extension that allows you to remote mount the lens module. See Here and Here.

P.S. It could be really cool to also have a wireless range camera facing back at the shooters! :p

Last edited:
Oh Great. Just thanks :)
There goes MORE money :)

Might have to wait until next month though :(
Does give me time to read up on them.

Thanks,
Glenn

Oh Great. Just thanks :)
There goes MORE money :)

Might have to wait until next month though :(
Does give me time to read up on them.

Thanks,
Glenn

It might be worthwhile to wait. The much anticipated and long awaited Mobius 2 should be along pretty soon. If you do buy one, it'll be money well spent! :)

OK, time to start reading up.
So far the biggest pro for the Mobius seems to be popularity and firmware support over the G1W.
As far as an onboard display, I've got a few.
I'll read up on the low light firmware I saw posted somewhere.

OK, time to start reading up.
So far the biggest pro for the Mobius seems to be popularity and firmware support over the G1W.
As far as an onboard display, I've got a few.
I'll read up on the low light firmware I saw posted somewhere.

The firmware support has been integral to what makes the Mobius the Mobius but what really appeals to me is the overall quality, value for money and versatility. It's a great platform. The popularity is besides the point.

Cheap is good :)
I've had the one G1W for close to a year. Since I started experimenting with it I've opened the case at least a 100 times. Even dropped it a few times.
Cut down the lens mount for some more back focus room for the CS mount. Takes a lickin keeps on ticken :)
Battery still holds a good charge. Guess I just feel for the underdog.
But, I'll end up getting a Mobius. Just to play with because I surely don't need another camera.
Tonight it's the Foxeer 800N board camera to see how well it does with IR light.
Separate Camera, DVR, Monitor, battery and lots of wires :)

Thanks for moving this to the correct spot.

Last edited:
Totally dumbfounded with all the action cams/dash cams available out there. I will likely do some more studying before I buy.
The Mobius still looks good but no on-board monitor is a minus. The ones that do have a monitor don't have one that is any good.
The camera extension cable is a plus for the experimenter.
The G1W display is sort of usable (if it had a way to turn off all that garbage on the screen).
I'm sure that there will be a few more on the market before I make a decision, and have to start all over :(

Rain has passed and I have the G1W parked next to the Foxeer 800N 1/2" CMOS camera with a CS mount 7.5-50mm f 1.4 (both set @ 50mm) for a night time shoot out. I don't expect the G1W to have the same low light response but we see how it compares.
I'm recording through my home security system onto a cheap SD DVR. There is some loss through the coax and some interference from all the connections and the DVR.
I'll check to see if the HD video recorded by the G1W is any better.
(enough with the excuses :) )
It will be later tonight or tomorrow before I get the videos edited and uploaded.

Last minute change; used the same type lens for both cameras.
Shoot-Out_b_zpsqtd8l8rc.jpg

OK, finished a couple videos.
With a little IR light the G1W does OK. Sort of falls flat when it gets really dark.

Last edited:
haven't forgot about you guys :)
Been busy doing other stuff. I'm working on the Digital Night Vision but had some time to play with the G1W.
Here's some shots from the garage with a 3.5-8mm M12 zoom, a 7.5 - 50mm CS zoom, and a Pentax K 100 to 300 zoom
The two fence posts are 50 feet away, the tree and bird bath are 120 feet away.
The shots are: 3.5mm, 8mm, about 20-25mm, 100mm, about 180-200mm, and the low contrast one is 300mm.
The camera is running full spectrum, no filters, and the photos were taken in B&W. Maybe contrast would be a little better with either the visible or IR was filtered out.
4mm-to-300mm_zps0tehg8hn.jpg

These examples are cool! You've got me thinking about mounting some Nikon lenses on one of my Mobius cams after I acquire an M2 just to see what is possible. Adapters seem to be readily available that would avoid the need for any gluing or permanently altering the camera. Any contrast issues can be controlled in the firmware GUI.

I put together that multi focal length montage in a hurry to help someone on another forum get an idea of field of view.
Two things hurt the contrast. Mid day sun and no lens hood and the camera without any filters is full spectrum.
I normally get better images with 300mm, and it gets fuzzy at 600mm :)
Adapters are the way to go. The glue job was quick and dirty. Waiting for adapters, etc., from China takes time :)
I don't like waiting :)
When going to 35mm format lenses many go for the somewhat universal M42 mount. I have a bunch of older M42 lenses, but most of the other common formats are old enough to have cheap lenses available. I especially like the Pentax K mount and have a chest full of stuff in that format.
The 100-300 mm Pentax FA lens is great, and cheap. It's an older model, happens to be auto focus (which you can't use anyway on a dash cam) and sharp for the price.
It's my go to for my 'range cam'.

The Nikon 28-200, in F mount, cheap on ebay, is a fantastic lens.

My latest work (still waiting on some stuff from China :)
is a low light Digital Night Vision camera, mounted on a Picatinney rails, with one of those cheap ebay 7.5-50mm CS mount lenses (still available on ebay) behind an IR compatible Red Dot sight.
RailMount_zpsmk2xbpbx.jpg

Last edited:
As a lifetime Nikon guy I figure I'll work with the lenses I've got on hand. Looks like all I would need is an M12 to C mount adapter and a C to Nikon bayonet mount adapter. Also perhaps an IR cut filter but B&W intrigues me here. The remarkable level of color balance adjustments available on the Mobius might just preclude the need for such filtration, however.

Didn't realize you were still up :)
The unfiltered range of the camera sensor, typically from 400nm to 950nm, is 'seen' by the sensor, transmitted via 3 color channels, and displayed within the visible range. Sharply focusing 400-950nm through a consumer grade lens is pretty much 'impossible'. Those that do IR photography, typically filter @ 590, 620, 650, 680, 720, 750, 850, and for film 950 or 1000nm. Each gives a different image. Some of the more 'colorful' IR images you see use channel swapping and other post processing methods. When shooting at night, sky glow, around 590nm, and near infrared provide a good bit of light.
During the daylight hours the whole spectrum is available. Visible pass/IR blocking or Visible blocking/IR pass filters reduce the light spectrum going through the lens and hitting the sensor. If the light gets in and hits the sensor, color balance can't get rid of it. You can't go in and find the IR light and filter it out later. The narrowed spectrum is easier to focus on the sensor.
The M12 to C mount to Nikon double adapter route will still be cheap. You may end up with some tolerance stack up that will require some customization to get lens back focus correct. They sell thin washers for the C mount to add length and a little work with a file can take some length away :)
Whether or not putting a 35mm Nikon lens on a Mobius will be useful, I can guarantee you will have fun will the capabilities.

Search for digital images taken with a 'golden' 590nm filter. The best results usually come from a camera modified if necessary for full spectrum then filtered as desired.

You can poke around in my photobucket albums if you want. Follow the proxy in one of my posted pics back to my photobucket. It's all public.

Last edited:
You're quite right. I forgot all about the IR focus shifts and I shouldn't have as I've dealt with this before on occasion with my CCTV cameras which can be prone to the issue even with filtration and shooting only in B&W. In fact I have several defunct CCTV cameras lying around that may provide useful IR cut filters. As they are mechanical filters they are easily accessible and some of them would be the right size for an M12 opening. They pass different wavelengths depending on which sensor is in the camera and whether the camera used 850nm or 950nm illumination. I'll have to take them apart and see what I've got. I can see that I need to learn more about this but that would be part of the fun of a project like this.

Sadly, I sold off my old Pentax M42 stuff years ago. The Spotmatic was a great camera in its day. In the meantime I see that there are a variety of Chinese S mount lens extensions available and I imagine I can figure out a way to deal with back focus issues. Thanks for the tip about C mount spacers. I see on ebay there are shims available as well as extensions and spacers.

Your Picatinny rail night vision camera is very cool. Is it intended for actual mounting on a firearm? How will a set-up like that hold up to recoil? I once obliterated an expensive barrel mounted remote switched Surefire flashlight when I put 3 inch magnum loads into a shotgun of mine and the otherwise seemingly very secure Torx screw mount failed after a few rounds.:eek:

Speaking of IR low pass filters, back focus and in this case, C mount lenses you might enjoy checking out this demonstration video of the Radiant Image Novo I mentioned earlier. They use a highly specialized IR cut filter and have an adjustable back focus. However one may feel about GoPro, what they did here is very interesting and the results are pretty refined for the sensor involved. It shows what these tiny sensors can achieve with the right optics. The Novo isn't really a GoPro anymore after what they do to the camera.

Last edited:
Back