Using G1W as remote wireless camera, game cam, or even Macro

You have a small portable monitor?
Imagine shooting 35mm film without a viewfinder,

When you order the Nikon to C adapter, and the C to M12 (which might really be a CS to M12), a couple of 0.5mm shims and a 5mm C to CS extension ring might be handy.
The 'C' adapters I have are actually CS adapters. I use them with CS lenses and they work out pretty good. One application I did have to shave about 1/2mm off the front to get infinity. If I use a C lens with a longer back focus then the 5mm spacer would be needed. I assume the Nikon to C is equivalent to a C lens.
Post your progress, in a month or so, when the stuff comes in from China :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I can see where having the shims and extensions on hand could make the difference between having a fun and interesting DIY experience and pulling my hair out!

The adapters I've looked at on eBay are all listed as M12 to C or CS, so I assume those should work. I appreciate your steering me towards a 5mm extension as I've been wondering what would work best.

I'm not quite sure when I'm going to pursue this project. Summertime is always crazy busy around here, living on a rural property as I do. Usually, it's during the colder months when I have time for more complicated hobby projects. On the other hand, I will often spend months looking around for parts and materials and thinking things through before jumping into a DIY thing so then when I finally do begin a project everything works out better. This one looks like it could be a lot of fun though. I'll probably order some of the parts even if I don't do anything with them right away.

One fly in the ointment here is the apparently botched roll-out of the new Mobius 2 camera that's making it look like it could be quite some time before it will suitable for dash cam use, so that means I won't be taking any of my current Mobi out of service anytime soon. Then again, one of my favorite things about the Mobius is that you can buy individual parts, such as lens modules, cases and circuit boards, etc. and I already have enough spare parts on hand that it wouldn't be too difficult or expensive to just build another camera to play with. Funny thing is that I recently purchased a new C2 lens module from the Mobius manufacturer on eBay and they sent me a spare camera case as a gift, so it's already got me musing about what I might do with it.

BTW, you asked about my having a small LCD monitor, which of course, would be vital to a project like this. One interesting feature of the Mobius is that it can be used as a web cam (@720p) so with the camera hooked up to a laptop, one could record directly to the computer if so desired. Generally, this is the method I use to focus lenses on the Mobius.

Last edited:
Funny thing is that I recently purchased a new C2 lens module from the Mobius manufacturer on eBay and they sent me a spare camera case as a gift,

the new lens doesn't fit properly in the first version case so being proactive with the customer service I guess and sending you what you might need anyway, good to see

the new lens doesn't fit properly in the first version case so being proactive with the customer service I guess and sending you what you might need anyway, good to see

That's what I thought at first but I wrote to ask and to thank them as well. I also thought perhaps it was sent in error. They wrote back and said, "It is the gift, you can keep it for use if needed later." They did something like this once before when they sent me a spare AV cable just for the hell of it. I've been a good repeat customer, maybe that's why? BTW, the parcel arrived at my door in Northeastern USA 8 days from the day of my order. I have nothing but good things to say about eletoponline365.

Last edited:
I tried a g1w as a IR scope camera on my airrifle, i found that all that glass killed the IR sensetivety of the camera, so i tried the same with a dedicated 700 TVL bord camera and got much better results.
To me the G1w dont do good with IR, at least not compated to sensors that do good with IR, the Sony effio E on the bord camera is much more IR sensetive.

With a 7 W IR ermitter i could not see anything thru the rifle scope at 24 X zoom, but i was able to see a little on the MIN 6 X zoom.
But with the 700 TVL bord camera there was no problem seeing stuff at 24 X zoom.
And i have "just" tested a IP camera based on the Sony IMX185 sensor, holy sheeee that was nice, i cant wait to see that sensor in somthing with onbord recording.

kamkar,
Can you describe your G1W setup a little?
I agree than the G1W is weak in the IR , not as good as the 1/2 inch CMOS camera I have.
The high pixel count, small sensor size hurts cameras that can do HD.
But, for $51 (now seems to be even cheaper) here in the U.S. it's still a cam, DVR, and monitor (albeit a small low resolution monitor) in a case.

The IMX185 looks like a fantastic chip. Exmor CMOS, 1/2 inch, full HD.
Did you use 'sense up' with the IP camera?

I HATE sense-up! And it is becoming difficult to find CCTV cameras without it or where it can be switched off completely. On my CCTV system I must be able to capture and identify moving vehicles but with Sense-up, even at the lowest possible 2x setting it is useless. No doubt it has value in static settings but for anything in motion it is a poor option.

Sense up, frame averaging is how many security camera vendor claim super low lux values.
Any idea what the 3rd 'D' is in '3DNR' ?

Most of the stuff I have actually uses VGA (or WVGA/960H). I could upgrade to IP cameras but it would mean replacing everything in the system.
But, I just need to ID an intruder and which gun port to watch :)
Sense up is great for Astro, auto-tracking, 100 second pic, 100 second dark frame.
Repeat and stack :)

BTW, I just pre-ordered a Runcam Owl Plus. The Owl with OSD.

Last edited:
Yeah, digital slow shutter speeds as in Sense-UP and the Pixim's Seawolf ESS (Extended Slow Shutter) are really very effective in low Lux settings but if a car drives by at night, even slowly, all you get are blurs and streaks from the headlights. If set at the lowest level you get dashes instead of streaks from the headlights. In my tests with both brands of DSP, even just walking past the camera under IR I could not get a smooth accurate rendition of my image regardless of which settings I used with Sense-UP. In my situation capturing moving vehicles on two of my cameras is one of the most important concerns.

My understanding of 3DNR is that is combines a different set of algorithms governing temporal and spacial noise reduction. The third D adds another layer that determines the degree of difference between the pixels in the current frame and pixels in the previous frame, or something like that.

Edit: The RunCam Owl Plus looks pretty interesting!

Yeah sense up is not that usefull, but for installment on a rifle scope its allright as there is rarely a lot of action there, though i rat can get lost pretty quick if it deside to do so.

Saw a interesting flir camera ( SD ) on alibaba, but dident have onbord recording and i would prefer that as i have enuff wires between me ( and my DIY NVG ) and my rifle.
That flir camera had 17 micron pixels :eek:

Soon i will look like a REV 1.0 Borg when i am out at night hunting rats.

I think sense up is off on my PTZ camera i have on my car, i can get a allright capture of faces of ppl walking by, and that happen often now as some one have rented one of the garages down there and use it for a place to have parties.

Haven't been around lately, but I haven't forgotten you guys :)
I have been playing with some IR cameras to watch around the yard mostly and the Foxeer and new Owl camera are great for low light or when using Aux IR illumination.
But, the G1W still has some uses.
A couple times a year I go to a 'long range' shoot (only 450 yards) and use the G1W, Video out to a wireless transmitter, a receiver and small monitor. I set up the camera about 50 yards from the 450 yard line and the receiver/monitor at the shooting line. With the Video sent to the transmitter, the G1W still records. Monitor blanks, but it still records.
I have a 800mm f8.0 mirror lens coming and thought about viewing from the shooting line through the G1W, 800mm lens, HDMI output to a 13 inch HD monitor.
The 800mm lens and a crop factor of about 7 for the G1W sensor, would give me about 115 magnification. f8 aperture shouldn't be a problem in full daylight.
Might have enough resolution to actually see bullet holes in the paper 450 yards away. Maybe, might. Might not :)
Takes a pricey spotting scope to see little holes in the black of a target at that range.

So, here's the rub. The G1W, while it will record AND output VGA video, will NOT record AND output through the HDMI connector. I can view HD on the monitor, OR record HD and view VGA on the monitor. It would be nice to both view HD to sight in with AND record for playback later. But it won't do both.
I could add on a separate HD recorder but that adds cost and battery drain for a portable setup.
The lens should be here in a few days. 800mm on a 1/3 inch sensor. WOW :)
Looks like I will have to switch cables. Plug in the HDMI cable for HD view during sight in, swap out to VGA cable for HD record/VGA view for record shots.

I'll post some pics when the stuff gets here and I have the chance to play with it.
Later,
RV

As promised, here's a pic of the new lens.
A 800mm, f8.0 Mirror adapted to the Pentax K mount on a G1W.
Temporary mount is a little vibration sensitive and twangy :)

P1210360_zpsa8ggfvvw.jpg

To give you an idea of the size, the front filter threads are 105mm.
So, this 800mm sitting in front of a 6mm sensor gives me about 0.40 degrees horizontal view.
That's 1 inch @ 12 feet.
Looks pretty good on the little 13.3 inch HD Monitor/TV/DVD I got off Amazon.
Maybe tomorrow some images out in the bright daylight.

Looks like I'll be able to put one G1W downrange, record in HD, feed VGA to the transmitter, and back at the shooting line hook up a G1W and the 800mm mirror through an HDMI cable to the monitor, the wireless receiver to the AV input and just switch back and forth with the remote. Probably will be lugging more camera stuff than gun stuff to the range :)

I've often seen catadioptric lenses like that for sale on eBay at attractive prices and have sometimes considered buying one as they've always intrigued me. An 800mm lens like that designed for 35mm throwing an image onto a 6mm sensor must provide such magnification that I wonder whether image vibration is an issue on a modest tripod like that? It's a cool project and I'm looking forward to seeing some images.

Made it back from our camping/shooting trip to south Florida.
Tried the 800mm range cam at the 450 yard range and it was barely usable (with splatter targets).
Lots of mirage and contrast was low. At 100 yards and 220 yards it worked great.
No problem seeing .308 and .223 holes on a 13 inch monitor.
P1210469_zpsq2jofkyw.jpg

Here's a youtube video (will be live in a few minutes)

BTW, the video was made shooting an AR-15, the SKS shoot is a bi-annual event we go to in south Florida. The camera was out in front of the muzzle blast of my shooting lane and the ones on either side of me. That was most of the shaking. The wind shook the camera some but muzzle blast was the worst. Setting up the tripod in a different location and maybe a studier mount would help.

Last edited:
Back again with the G1W :)
The case is getting a little ragged and the battery died. Removed the little battery and epoxied a carrier for an 18650 protected 3400mah cell. Runs over 3 hours recording HD.
Can still connect to 5 volt through the USB connector.
I also made up a little sturdier tripod mount and it doesn't vibrate quite as much. Still not perfect, just better.
Here are a couple pics showing the magnification of a 400, and 500mm lens on an Pentax Kr APS-C camera (about 650 and 750mm equiv), a Panasonic FZ70 at 60+60 zoom (about 2400mm equiv). Some pics were shot in the morning, some in the afternoon so the lighting will vary in the pics.
and the G1W behind the 800mm mirror lens (about 5700mm equiv).

and I still haven't bought a Mobius.

Attachments

• 400_500_2400_5700.jpg
    400_500_2400_5700.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 10
  • P1240656b.jpg
    P1240656b.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 9
  • G1W 800 Sign.jpg
    G1W 800 Sign.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 18650-powered-G1W.jpg
    18650-powered-G1W.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, I've got so many hobbies, I forget some from time to time :)

You really should get a Mobius. It would offer more control and refinement on what you like to do. Ever IR can be tamed via the menu driven color controls.

A new Mobius cam was literally just introduced today that may even be worth exploring. ( The M2 was a total bust however :(, so time will tell on this one.)

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-varifocal-zoom-ir.30602/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-5mp-varifocal-zoom-6-22mm-ƒ-1-6.34263/

It's quite doable to mount 35mm DSLR lenses on the Mobius

Back