Using GUIformat2

SWoMP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I'm sorry this is under the thread of my camera but I couldnt find a thread just on SD cards...)

In various places it has been posted to use guiformat2 to format sdcards, and that is what I am now doing....

What I dont understand with this software is why the progress bar keeps restarting? There is no message in the log display, nor does the expected completion time change, but the progress bar has gone back to 0% complete several times! As it eventually does finish I assume this is normal?

I have never used any tool or utility to format SD cards. Always use high quality (high endurance) cards and format in camera.

Great in theory but if I raise a support request with Viofo I know one of the things they ask will be if I've tested the sdcard and if I've formatted it with guiformat2. Just trying to avoid prolonging the processes....

There is no message in the log display, nor does the expected completion time change, but the progress bar has gone back to 0% complete several times!
Normally, the progress bar doesn't restart and does show log messages and time changes. Please format the card or download the app again referring to this link.

Just tried again with version you linked to. This time I watched the activity (as best I could over 90 minutes!). The progress bar never seems to get above 8% until the end. When it resets, the bar goes blank and the percentage number goes back to start. However, the "time to go" continues to count down from the original starting point.
The downloaded version didnt seem to be any different to the one I had before.
I did make several screen captures as it went along which show the various positions of the progress bar and percentage progress count. Let me know if they would be of any help...
Meanwhile, should I assume the format completed ok or use the menu format option in the camera?

GUIFormat2-6End.jpg

Have you tried formatting using the sd card formatter from the sd association first?

If the card is in some odd format then that may correct it, and then you can use guiformat without resets, maybe!

Sorry Nigel, not sure what that first sentence means!
I bought two new 256Gb cards with the camera set from Viofo UK. They were initially formatted by the camera unit upon insertion.
However, after I had several instances of the camera stop recording (but power light still on), I decided to try and ensure the cards were okay.
So I ran them each through h2testw, with no problems (apart from taking 2.5 hours!).
I also then formatted them using guiformat2 which is where I noticed this odd behaviour. I've only mentioned it on here because it has made me wonder if the format did actually complete on the whole card or just an initial part of it... (I've never heard of anything like that before but ...)
The laptop used shows the card properties as I would expect and I have deliberately avoided using the in-built Windows formatter.

Here is a link, now I have a computer instead of a phone!

Not quite sure what it does, but it works at a lower level than a normal format, quite often speeds cards up significantly which can stop "card too slow" errors, and may affect what guiformat does.

After running it the card will be in exFAT format, so you should then use Guiformat to put it back in FAT format.

I think you have already told us, but could you remind us what type of card "Viofo UK" (a reseller, not Viofo itself) sent you please?

Using the SD Association formatter first doesn't seem to make any difference. The following guiformat full run ran to conclusion (1.5 hours) but the progress bar never got beyond 8% complete and then reset to 0%. Run did finish with a full progress bar and I've just done a test drive which has all expected files present and correct and using 12.5% of the card space.

Back