Using IP security Cam as a dash cam

Dimas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 2 Wyze IP cams on order and I am thinking of using them as a dash cam and security cam at the same time.
It's a 1080p with 10-15 fps and record on up to 128G SD card. Has motion detection, email notification etc and overwrites old files just like a dash cam.
I park on my driveway so it will monitor my street too.
Has anyone use an IP cam as a dash cam here ?.
Tell me about your setup and do & don't.

I can see the possibility of using the WyzeCam to monitor the interior of your car while it is parked in front of your house, assuming you can get a strong enough Wifi signal from it. Keep in mind that the WyzeCam has IR illuminators built in that will be a hinderance to seeing through your car's windshield at night. As a dash cam, I don't think the WyzeCam would be at all suitable.

I'm not exactly sure why you want to do this. You would be much better off with a true dash cam.

I do have dashcam. But with this IP cam I can monitor my street while parked at home and I can access it from anywhere and get notifications of movements at night. I agree with you, I should put a black tape on the IR illuminator. On the road, it will just record continuously on SD card.

Yes, I think you could probably monitor your street using a WyzeCam. Without the IR illuminators though it might depend on the ambient lighting that exists such as street lights. I guess you'll need to try it. I own a WyzeCam and I don't feel it will perform well as an on-the-road dash cam but again, I guess you could try it and see what you get. My hunch is that even a cheap dash cam will work better for that purpose.

Fortunately my driveway is right under a street light. I'll report tomorrow.

A street light will be fine for modern starvis sensors, my street side IP camera using the Sony IMX 185 are in color mode all the time wit the street light just off from my 2 floor apartment.
It will therefor also be good with a dashcam build on the good low light sensors like the IMX 291 thats also a starvis sensor.
Just be advised things landing on the windscreen like rain - dew and so on can obscure the view of the camera.

I have not seen anyone do it, use a IP / CCTV camera as dashcam, i am not 100% sure it is a viable solution, not least with some cameras that after all have a low bitrate as thats all thats needed for the moderate movement in CCTV footage.
But some CCTV cameras are able to reach plenty high bitrates, even surpassing what dashcams normally use, my major consern are however how the camera handle the lighting conditions as a dashcam.

there was an instance where I advertised a free appliance to be picked up in front of our house and I used one of my Yi home cameras to monitor who and what time it was picked up (I wanted my phone to be pinged when it detected motion). I had to turn off the IR light since it was looking through the hatch of our truck. for this purpose, it worked fantastic. but the video it records is 1080 @ 25 FPS at a much lower bitrate than any of my dash cams. I think it would work in a pinch but I don't know that it would be my main driving camera.

Last edited:
What are the power requirements of your new cameras.. most security cameras I would think are powered by 120v

I have only seen 12 V cameras.

What are the power requirements of your new cameras.. most security cameras I would think are powered by 120v

Typical CCTV surveillance cameras are usually 12V like @kamkar1 mentions. Small residential IP cameras like the WyzeCam that @Dimas has or the Yi that @abarth mentioned are 5V like you would find in dash cams.

I have only seen 12 V cameras.
Interesting.. because most security cameras are used in a home I would have thought they would run off a transformer that started at 120 volts or a USB supply. I stand corrected :D

"As I suggested in the other thread: If you start your own thread I'm sure you will get a lot of interest in your DIY project."

Thanks TonyM

Back