using koonlung k1s as sidecam? - your thoughts please

egonvdv

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
TWO Thinkware's U10002CH (rear cams used as side cams)
I have the F750 but for a long time I hesitated between the two
The k1s is very nice because the cameras are small, but overall it just doesn't have
the same built quality as the F750

However I'm now thinking of buying it and to install as sidecams.
(cheapest seen was 144 eur on amazon.fr, without card)

what are your thoughts on this?

The K1S is nice and discrete. Really love the design of main DVR unit being hidden. But it runs on battery rather than capacitor. You may want to rethink coz we've heard customers complain about the unit reboots by itself.

For the price it may be worth trying, if it fails at least it's just your side cam. I wouldn't expect it to last more than 1 year though.

1 year max? is it really that bad? Then even 144 eur would be expensive.

But indeed this is only as a SIDE cam, I would never use it as my main unit..

Another idea is to get 2 Mobius cams bugt I don't think they have park mode right?
(And that's the main reason I would eventual add side cams)
plus although the camera itself is small, the mount is definitely not.

... Mobius ... although the camera itself is small, the mount is definitely not.

Looks small to me ... Pull a credit card from your wallet & see ...

1268b375323b1ab2156a38694cd7f838.jpg

@russ331 ah that's not the mount I saw. that looks quite good indeed!

so it has motion detection right?

Last edited:
it seems that the issues with the K1S are often related to overheating.
what if I would take out the battery? As I'm hardwiring it I don't really need it.
I do favour this camera for it's design, the fact that uses only 1 card and that it
has a screen to easily position the cams..
However if it's really as **** as people say I will go for 2x mobius

thanks input, the Mobius it is then. it wil be cheaper as well as I found them at 49 eur a piece.
next step wil be to figure out how/where to install them. I'll get back with results at a later stage.

Last edited:
thanks input, the Mobius it is then. it wil be cheaper as well as I found them at 44 eur a piece.
next step wil be to figure out how/where to install them. I'll get back with results at a later stage.
To ensure you don't get fake Mobius cams, buy from approved Mobius sellers ...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170905&postcount=2

For inspiration re mounting the cams, see ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/page-41

Apreciate the warning @TonyM .
i' m looking at this:
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/B00GT2B4R6so according to your link this is a trusted seller (spytech NY)

Also thanks for the mounting thread. Putting a metal plat between the liner seems like a good idea
but not sure whether I can manage this as the liner in my car is pretty well fixed.
And not sure that tape will hold on the liner...

I'll buy the cameras first, so I can start positioning them in various places to see
what the best angle will be and take it from there.
As I have a sunroof I might be able to use one of those baseball cap clips ( https://www.amazon.fr/gp/B00UNSDG6Y )and
just hook in in the ceiling.. to be continued..

Last edited:
It has motion detection, but it's more reliable in loop-recording mode.

considering I will use it as a side camera and thus mainly for park mode, won't motion detection be better?

Cos if I put 2 cameras in loop recording (on a magic pro) PLUS my F750, I doubt they will last very long?

I realise that in loop mode it will record the actual accident , and not start after, but I guess it's a choice between that and "duration"..?

considering I will use it as a side camera and thus mainly for park mode, won't motion detection be better?

Cos if I put 2 cameras in loop recording (on a magic pro) PLUS my F750, I doubt they will last very long?

I realise that in loop mode it will record the actual accident , and not start after, but I guess it's a choice between that and "duration"..?

what do you mean by not lasting long?

Back