Using My Car's USB Port for Power (Always ON)

Wingsy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I want to use my car's USB port to power the N2. The power on that port is always on so I thought this would enable me to use Parking Mode. But if power is always on will the N2 continuously write to the SD card, 24/7? I understand that the camera would have to be on 24/7 but I certainly don't want it writing 24/7. What I want is for it to only write to the SD when there is something to write about.

So, if I get my wish then this brings up another question...What will trigger the N2 to start recording when I start to drive?

When the Parking Mode has been turned on, and no movement is detected in front of the camera after 5 minutes of recording, then Parking Mode is activated. This is represented by an icon (P) at the
left side of the screen. Full frame recording will be triggered by the motion detection sensor. In Parking Mode, once the camera detects movement at the front, it will start auto-recording; it will stop recording after 10 seconds of inactivity.

Thanks Mijant. Can you clarify a few things please?
1. If I turn on Parking Mode does it stay on forever?
2. How do I get out of Parking Mode and have the dash cam start recording like normal (like when I get in my car and drive away)?

@Wingsy
Please be aware that most built-in car USB ports do not provide enough power to run a dashcam reliably (if at all). If you try this be sure to check the card to ensure the files are all recording and closing properly.

Phil

Tesla USB ports are good for up to 2.4 amps, more than enough to power any dashcam out there. But thanks for your tip.

Back