Using OBD cable. Parking mode and “stop start” causes powers down.

SadGamerGeek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my DR900S-2CH installed with the OBD Power Pro cable recently by Halfords. It was only going into parking mode for a minute or so before shutting down. I realise I’d probably need some battery accessory for extended parking recording but that didn’t seem right. I then remembered there was a switch on the cable, found my ODB port and flicked it into parking mode. Parking recording is certainly lasting longer now (not overnight it seems, but certainly more than an hour). It seems to have brought a new issue though. My car has auto stop/start, and every time I stop at traffic lights and the engine cuts out, the BlackVue announces it is powering down seconds later! This seems pretty useless, as I’ll miss things like someone rear-ending me at the lights! Is there maybe a setting I need to adjust for this? Also, for a modern car with a good condition battery, what’s a reasonable expectation for parking mode duration?

Unfortunately I can’t check parking mode recordings as I’ve upgraded my iPhone to iOS13 before I realised that broke the app!

I have the same set up as you but with a Conecta ODB cable powering it rather than the Blackvue but it is the same principle with a switch to change between Parking Mode (camera runs with ignition off) and Accessory Mode (camera doesn't run with ignition off). My car has auto stop/start and I don't get the same problem so I would think it is either a faulty unit or the ODB port on your car isn't compatible with these types of connection. I would take it back to Halfords and see what they say.

With regard to the running time on the car battery, my car is six weeks old so the battery is in good condition. Normally when at home I switch to Accessory Mode because it's in my driveway so not needed but if I forget and leave in Parking Mode it is still on in the morning which would amount to around 16 hours. On my previous car it used to get about 8 hours running overnight so I guess it can vary considerably.

Thanks for that. It’s in a 2018 Ford Focus ST. I’d be interested to know if anyone else has this issue in a Ford...

Mine does the same . And for some reason it stop recording while its park. No idea why? Any thoughts?

Back