Using power pack for parking mode

RAVPower doesn't full explain what technique they use to manage their pass through charging but the more I read their blog entries about the subject the more they seem to offer caveats, precautionary remarks and what I might call "rationalizations" about why the practice, at least with "their" pass-through-charging technique may not be a good practice except in certain temporary situations. Clearly, they are recommending that you NOT use their power banks permanently connected to a power source in your car to run dash cameras all day, full time.

Below is the final paragraph from RAVPower's blog article "Is Pass Through Tech Dangerous to Your Power Bank’s Health?".

"In the end, to avoid damaging your device or power bank, follow two simple rules. First, make sure your power bank is equipped with the right circuitry to support pass through. Second, if you need to use it, don’t do it for very long – think emergency rations situations. By limiting pass through to a few hours at most, you should be able to reduce heat and the potential for battery damage."

Ok, i want to be a lab mouse. I will post here when the power bank is damaged or my work car us on fire. :)

Ok, i want to be a lab mouse. I will post here when the power bank is damaged or my work car us on fire. :)

Your car is probably not going to go up in smoke but your camera may conceivably suffer damage along with the power bank.

Dashmellow, since this works so well for you I may just go with the same type of solution rather than do the whole fuse tap thing. I only need parking mode on occassion and have no problem with plugging and unplugging, even though that is not what you do. So may just use cig lighter when driving. When parked somewhere where I need parking mode, I just pull out the battery pack with cig to USB adapter.

I use this for about 3 weeks now. View attachment 43013
RavPower RP-PB19

It has pass through charging with no button.
it does have a button (I have identical one, keep it at home as a spare), that's the button you press to activate the power bank or turn on the "flash" light or check (visually) the capacitance of the power bank.

IMG_0622-crop.JPG

My question is if the power bank is fully charged at some moment, will it stop taking power from the charger? If yes, how much time?
when fully charged you'll see a status light bar not blinking anymore and it will stay with the status light bar On until you unplug the power if I remember correctly. and a multimeter will show no power draw.

it does have a button (I have identical one, keep it at home as a spare), that's the button you press to activate the power bank or turn on the "flash" light or check (visually) the capacitance of the power bank.

View attachment 43016
It is not for activate de power bank!!!

It is for "turn on the "flash" light or check (visually) the capacitance of the power bank." Like you say
The issue discussed here is for a button to power on or off. It doesn't have such a thing!!!

It is not for activate de power bank!!!

It is for "turn on the "flash" light or check (visually) the capacitance of the power bank." Like you say
The issue discussed here is for a button to power on or off. It doesn't have such a thing!!!
you're absolutely correct but it is still a button.
and there is no power On or Off button.
and if for some reason when you plug your device in to a power bank and it's not charging your device you should press that button. I had to press that button more than a dozen times to activate a power bank when I used it in a car so I bought 2 26.8A power banks and never ever had to activate the power banks again. I don't know why.

Last edited:
you're absolutely correct but it is still a button.
and there is no power On or Off button.
and if for some reason when you plug your device in to a power bank and it's not charging your device you should press that button.

The subject was that a power bank for dashcam shouldn't have a button for on/off. That has to be automatic. I don't care for any other button.
And that is a product that can do this. Read more carefully. I know my english is bad, but the ideea was simple...

Last edited:
The subject was that a power bank for dashcam shouldn't have a button for on/off. That has to be automatic. I don't care for any other button.
And that is a product that can to this. Read more carefully. I know my english is bad, but the ideea was simple...

I don't think your English is bad at all! I have no trouble understanding what you are saying.

And that is a product that can to this. Read more carefully. I know my english is bad, but the ideea was simple...
calm down. I have 3 RAVPower power banks and use them for over 2 years.
smile3.gif

I use this with the Vio A129: https://www.ravpower.com/p/ravpower-ace-32000mah-power-bank.html

It has pass through charging unlike some of the packs I had laying around. It's also lithium polymer and has a Deluxe UL94 V-0 fire & UV resistant casing. Wikipedia: The standard determines the material’s tendency to either extinguish or spread the flame once the specimen has been ignited. It can get hot in Texas so I wanted to make sure it's safe enough but not spend the money on those expensive Blackvue batteries.

It lasts for 3 days from fully charged if I forget to turn off the camera overnight. It lasts for entire week if I remember to turn the camera off in my garage. It takes overnight to recharge to full.

This one looks interesting too: https://www.ravpower.com/p/ravpower-25000mah-solar-power-bank.html It can take 2 inputs to charge the pack (4 amps) so you might be able to keep in the car for a long time before having to take it out to recharge. Nevermind I don't think it has pass though charging. http://blog.ravpower.com/2018/06/pass-through-creative-ways-power-banks-charge/

Last edited:
htran, so you use the powerbank to power your Blackvue while driving and while parked anywhere except for your garage? Of you only use it for parking mode outside your garage? And you do not charge it in the car at all? BTW its can be over 100F in Texas in teh summer. Ive been there and leaving a cell phone in the seat of a rental car I get messages that the phone has overheated. Most likely its to protect the battery.

Actually I don't have a Blackvue, I have the Viofo A129. I plug the battery pack to the car USB and the dash cam to the battery. The battery pack only charges when I'm driving. The dash cam stays on all of the time except when I turn it off in the garage.

Thats the cam I bought but have not installed. ORdered the 3 wire kit but seems such a hassle to install in my car I'm thinking go with USB powerbank. But people keep saying the powerbank will explore in hot weather. If it isnt exploding in Texas it probably wont in California?

Go their website and contact them directly. Maybe they can ship to you but remember customs and shipping costs can be a burden and deal breaker. Surely, there are other brands in your local market IMO.

Go their website and contact them directly. Maybe they can ship to you but remember customs and shipping costs can be a burden and deal breaker. Surely, there are other brands in your local market IMO.
I cannot buy anything in my country, everything is imported from China with low quality.
It is difficult to find a safe power bank with the "pass through" function.

Most consumer electronics are made in China, including RAVPower. There are some shipping services which can give you a US address. Then you can order from the US, it goes to the service and they charge a fee to ship it to you.

Back