Using stock USB cable for Hardwire

Pinky_Powers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently acquired a 2011 Mustang V6 manual transmission for my new daily driver. Feeling the need to furnish her properly, I bought an Uniden DFR6 radar/laser detector and the A119v3 dash cam. The stock cable for the Uniden is coiled and useless for running behind panels, so I ordered the hardwire kit for my radar detector, running it along the bottom of the windshield. But VIOFO's stock cable is quite nice, so I ran that along the upper windshield. After they met up under the passenger-side foot well, I twisted the cables together and finally, at their end, stripped them. I twisted the naked copper of the red wires together, and did the same for the black. I terminated the red wires to the Add-A-Circuit fuse, and the black wires to a nice U-shaped terminal for a grounding post.

I found a 5amp fuse that powers up only when the car is set to the ON position.

The Uniden works perfectly. But the A119 never powers on.

When I use the small cable and plug it into the cigarette lighter, it works. But my hardwire setup does not.

I have double and triple-checked the terminations, redoing them again and again. They are solid.

Is there any reason you can think of that tying the Radar and Dashcam together would cause one not to work? Surely they're getting enough power.

Thanks for your time,

Pinky

the camera uses USB power which is 5V, if you feed it 12v it won't work and you'll potentially damage something, permanently

Damn. Guess I'll need a proper hardwire kit then.

Thanks for your help.

have you got another USB cable you can use to check if the camera still works?

Of course. I mentioned in my opening post I can use the short cable with the cigarette lighter adapter and it works just fine. The A119 is still working, even after all my experimentation. :)

Of course. I mentioned in my opening post I can use the short cable with the cigarette lighter adapter and it works just fine. The A119 is still working, even after all my experimentation. :)
yeah I wasn't sure if you had tried it again after you sent 12v into it, consider yourself lucky, it could have been a lot worse

I ordered one of those universal hardwire kits off Amazon for the dash cam. Then piggy-backed another Add-a-Circuit on top of that for the radar detector.

Everything is working now. :)

Do keep a close eye on the Viofo, as they usually require a more robust PS than most cams, and many generic HWK's will cause erratic operation.

Phil

Back