Using the INNOVV C1/C2 as a security camera

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've seen people ask about using gopros or dashcams as a security camera so I tried using the INNOVV with the motion sensor.

I had night footage too but my roommate was up all night and had the lights on so it reflected poorly at night. Even with those reflections youcould recognize faces outside tho with my front light on.

Most people would likely say use a wifi security camera but hey if you already want an action camera and/or dash cam this could make a decent temporary solution.

I've used a Mobius in a similar fashion as a temporary security camera at home and out on rural property. I use a 50,000 mAh external lithium-polymer battery pack (well, it's rated at that anyway) that allows me to run the camera for as long was I wish. For example, I've used the camera this way to find out who was tossing beer bottles out of his vehicle into the woods on his way home from work several hundred feet down the road on a part of my property that is not visible from my house. For this scenario it was best to use the camera full time rather than motion detection so as to capture what happened just before the event and just after. This can be a great way to use these cameras but it really is only be practical for temporary surveillance for several hours at a time. Full time surveillance really requires a dedicated surveillance system designed for the purpose.

I've used a Mobius in a similar fashion as a temporary security camera at home and out on rural property. I use a 50,000 mAh external lithium-polymer battery pack (well, it's rated at that anyway) that allows me to run the camera for as long was I wish. For example, I've used the camera this way to find out who was tossing beer bottles out of his vehicle into the woods on his way home from work several hundred feet down the road on a part of my property that is not visible from my house. For this scenario it was best to use the camera full time rather than motion detection so as to capture what happened just before the event and just after. This can be a great way to use these cameras but it really is only be practical for temporary surveillance for several hours at a time. Full time surveillance really requires a dedicated surveillance system designed for the purpose.
Link to your power bank? I was thinking if getting the powerall car jump starter/phone charger but it's only 12000 maH. I also want the poweradd Apollo pro which is a solar powered 23000maH power bank for camping. But at home using the dashcam cable works fine.

My issue with recording non stop is even a 32gb card may not get as many hours as one might want but the motion detector seems to start quick enough to catch someone in front of your house. Maybe not quick enough to see someone toss a beer can tho like you mentioned.

The main reason I thought about doing this was for public events that may only be 5-6 hours long anyways where a venue or park may not have cameras.

The main reason I thought about doing this was for public events that may only be 5-6 hours long anyways where a venue or park may not have cameras.

Yes, I think you mentioned that in your video. Sounds like a good use. These tiny cameras like the Innovv and the Mobius are great. In certain ways they are much more versatile than a GoPro.

For the hell of it i put a 15 mm lens on my mobuis, that lens was a long thin version ( pinhole ) so it fit like a glove in the peephole of my front door.
With a littl tweaking to get the camera and lens to play ball with the lens allready in my peephole, i got glorious HD recordings of all passing thru my door ( close up face shots )

:)

ATM i have same lens sitting there, its just mounted on a cctv bord camera recording in D1 resolution on the 4 channel DVR i once had in my car.
And i still get good headshots out the peephole :cool:

Link to your power bank? I was thinking if getting the powerall car jump starter/phone charger but it's only 12000 maH. I also want the poweradd Apollo pro which is a solar powered 23000maH power bank for camping. But at home using the dashcam cable works fine.

My issue with recording non stop is even a 32gb card may not get as many hours as one might want but the motion detector seems to start quick enough to catch someone in front of your house. Maybe not quick enough to see someone toss a beer can tho like you mentioned.

Here's a link to the external battery I'm using. I've had this one for several months and been very pleased with it, especially considering the $22.14 price with free shipping. Read this post of mine from several days ago for further info and explanation. I am not a fan of putting lithium-ion batteries in the (hot) sun, so I'm not a fan of products like the PowerADD. The PowerALL is an interesting product but I'm not yet sure how well it can work as a power supply for dash cams and such.

I can record for several hours on a 32GB card with a Mobius and this seems to suit my purposes. I can certainly understand extending this with motion detection. In my case, in a rural area, motion detection is a challenge because as soon as the wind blows and the leaves on trees move or bird fly by it triggers the camera. Motion detection can be more trouble than it is worth unless you have the appropriate setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
@pizzaengineer, I forgot to mention.....HERE are the best shielded 5 pin USB-A to mini-B cables to get if you want to run a Mobius with an external USB power supply. This is how I power my dash cams for parking mode from the external battery. I don't know if the Innovv can use these however. They have an eight pin don't they? If that is the case, I think THESE might work.

My Contractor friend is having an issue with Tools missing on job sites. I'm going to recommend he tries one of these. How long does the stand alone battery last on average with motion recording? (or best with secondary battery pack?)

My Contractor friend is having an issue with Tools missing on job sites. I'm going to recommend he tries one of these. How long does the stand alone battery last on average with motion recording? (or best with secondary battery pack?)

With my (allegedly) 50,000 mAh external LiPo battery pack from the above link, I have yet to have the patience to really find out. A Mobius could easily go 12-24 hours. Maybe more. That is with full time recording. Motion detection would last days or weeks.

Last edited:
I dont have a power bank but was considering some DIY projects. What i was thinking of was using a waterproof box that can be locked, and bolted down or something so it could be outside. If it was big enough it could fit a decent power bank.

I didnt have one to test but i was under the assumption the motion detection mode is sitll the same 80 min on battery since it is still in normal recording. I should test it though. The parking mode is suppose to last 7-8 hours but it seems only g shock sensor works in parking mode for the innovv.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003FYMVXMI have this box which you can put pad locks on. I was considering maybe modding it to allow a cord with a usb adaptor go come through a hole which you could re-water proof.

I have had friends who have had music and photography gear stolen at music events and there were never cameras around which was what i was thinking of. in an indoor environment the enclosure wouldnt have to be water proof, and you wouldnt need a powerbank but a way to lock it down would still be necessary. The dashcam cable included was long enough for me to just keep it powered all day, so most indoor uses i think using the cable would be best.

Do these power banks automatically shut off when the cameras fully charge? If so, that would limit the usability for devices other than cellphones.

Do these power banks automatically shut off when the cameras fully charge? If so, that would limit the usability for devices other than cellphones.

At least the external power bank I have and the other ones too, as far as I am aware, do not shut off when the camera charges fully. It seems to be essentially the same as any other external power source, like the 12V socket in a car and as mentioned in previous posts above, I can run one or more cameras for many, many hours. When I unplug the cameras, the power bank shuts down automatically after about four seconds when it detects that there is no load. Interestingly, when I've used it to charge an iPad, the battery does shut off after the charge completes. I believe there may be some sort of communication between these devices and the battery bank, which is why they mention compatibility with various specific phones and tablets on the Amazon sales page for the device.

I can see why you asked this question and it's a good one. Perhaps if the camera is connected to the battery bank but turned off, it would shut down after it detects a full charge. When I get some time I will test this.

Some of the smarter power banks do shutoff once the device is fully charged

The one I'm describing has short-circuit and over current protection, shuts down when it is fully charged, shuts down when it detects my iPad has received a full charge and shuts off when it detects there is no longer a load being draw. Somehow it also powers a dash cam as long as I like until it reaches it's own low cut-off voltage. Isn't that smart? What is a "smarter" power bank?

Some of them just keep powering, for this application that's possibly desirable anyway but for some applications continually powering the device once full is not so good

Yes, obviously. I just wasn't sure what you meant by "smarter". I guess I just lucked out buying this inexpensive, powerful device and having it perform so well, meet my needs and exceed my expectations. @russ331 has also reported a similar experience running his Mobius' with his Anker Astro E4 which as I mentioned earlier inspired me to buy this thing. These external batteries are becoming very popular, even in the main stream. Maybe we should have a dedicated thread where we can discuss them and people can report their experiences. I will start one.

The one I'm describing has short-circuit and over current protection, shuts down when it is fully charged, shuts down when it detects my iPad has received a full charge and shuts off when it detects there is no longer a load being draw. Somehow it also powers a dash cam as long as I like until it reaches it's own low cut-off voltage. Isn't that smart? What is a "smarter" power bank?

Does this device also wake up automatically when needed after it has done an automatic shutdown? And does it support pass-thru charging (= does it power up the dash cam even with exhausted internal battery as soon as the car is started)?

This particular battery bank does not support pass-through charging. It can start charging a device automatically including when you connect a camera to it but it seems to cause some audio noise on the dash cam video unless you actually press the power button first which seems to engage some sort of filtering. Remember, this type of battery is really intended more for charging cell phones and tablet and running a video camera was probably not one of the design goals even though it works very well for the purpose.

Back