Using the USB Port to power A118-C?

kiddhan625

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Guys, newbie here!

I am looking to get the A118-C Camera. My 2014 Dodge Durango has USB powered ports accessible in the center console. Can I just plug the camera into the USB power via a USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B 5 ping Male cable to power the camera? I assume the USB port is a 5v port. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Guys, newbie here!

I am looking to get the A118-C Camera. My 2014 Dodge Durango has USB powered ports accessible in the center console. Can I just plug the camera into the USB power via a USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B 5 ping Male cable to power the camera? I assume the USB port is a 5v port. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yes you can use your in-car usb port to provide power to A118. Just need to buy long enough miniusb to usd cable.
I hope your in-car usb port is switchable with car engine start / stop and not constant powered ?

You might want to research what kind of amperage the USB port puts out and what the requirements of the camera are. My G1W-H draws from about .3A to close to 1.0A and the USB ports in my car put out a maximum of .28 so it's not a long term solution for me.

I've been using my USB port to power my 0806 with no issue.

Is the USB "live" when you turn your car off? Can you post a picture if you don't mind. Thanks!
In my Subaru none of the ports are live so when I turn the car off the camera turns off no matter what port I use.
c4Dx9M5.jpg

This is not my car, but this exactly what it looks like. It's way to cold to go snap my own picture. My phone is plugged into one USB and my Mini0806 in the other.
The Mini0806 uses a Micro USB cable. I was able to find an On branded Micro cable at Wal-Mart for about 5 dollars. I think it is 9 feet or so. I can't recall, but it is long.

Back