Using third-party cable to power Dash Cam 55?

mikolajek

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Dash Cam
Garmin Dash Cam 55
I've just got my new DC 55 and installed it in my car. Since I have only a single lighter socket and no splitter at hand and I'm also connecting my phone for charging, I'm using the Anker USB lighter power adapter with 3 USB sockets.

I've used the Anker micro-USB cable to connect the cam to the lighter power adapter and it fails to work. When I power on my DC, it says something like "this cable cannot charge your camera, please use the original cable" and then obviously the cam shuts down due to the empty battery.

Is this a normal behavior - not being able to use any other micro-USB cable to charge this cam? I could understand issues with data transfer, but power issues are strange... I'm pretty sure my Anker adapter delivers sufficient power, it's even higher than the one stated at the original Garmin power adapter.

Two weeks ago I bought this device on Amazon, it has helped me a lot because I can connect my iPhone 6 and my new Garmin Dash cam 55, plus it has two extra USB ports. What I like most is that each lighter socket has a button that lets you turn that socket on or off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01GX5X782
61jVfjkkgXL._SL1200_.jpg

Yes it's designed to do that, I believe to prevent you from using a long cable with voltage drop

I'm tired of using a 12V splitter. The plugs keep popping out. I can't find any workaround, though for older Garmin devices you could use a resistor to trick the device. I can find zero accounts of anyone doing that with the newer micro USB cameras

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mikolajek Dash Cam 55 5
Back