V1P Power

Whiskey Tango

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and this is my first dash cam. I got it for "just in case" reasons since I'm in my car most of the day.

My camera arrived yesterday, and I felt dumb when I realized it apparently needs a 12v port, which my 2016 Mazda CX-5 actually doesn't have. It does, however, have two USB ports. If I get a USB extension, will that be able to power the camera in my vehicle? If not, what options do I have other than returning the camera? Thanks!

Edit: nevermind. Appears the answer is no. Returning product.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and this is my first dash cam. I got it for "just in case" reasons since I'm in my car most of the day.

My camera arrived yesterday, and I felt dumb when I realized it apparently needs a 12v port, which my 2016 Mazda CX-5 actually doesn't have. It does, however, have two USB ports. If I get a USB extension, will that be able to power the camera in my vehicle? If not, what options do I have other than returning the camera? Thanks!

Edit: nevermind. Appears the answer is no. Returning product.
Sure just check the output needed 5 volt is the norm but check on mah/amps needed. I would say up to 1 amp.

Back