V3 Screen Freezes// No Video Preview// Repeats Start-Up Jingle Non-Stop

Racecar Mike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

Just bought my v3 brand new a few days ago on Amazon. Day 1 worked great! Day 2 the thing only works about 5% of the time.

90% of the time, after start up, there is no video on screen- just the Viofo logo - with the timer rolling. usually the buttons still work, but it will freeze up pretty quick.

Now if you EVER adjust the camera angle (recording paused; with working video preview or not), the entire thing freezes up solid; buttons don't work, and the screen is completly stuck frozen.

It will also occasionally recycle on the start-up jingle, on an endless loop, until I disconnect power.

I'm using the GPS mount-- but there are no changes, even when I plug directly to strong power (cigarette lighter or wall charger).
  • I've tried different Class 10 SD cards including SanDisk:: (32GB) Extreme PLUS HC1 V30 [U3] // (64GB) Extreme PLUS XC1 [U3] // (64GB) Ultra XC1 [U1] --- No Changes.
  • I've reset the camera multiple times, as well as factory reset to all settings --- No Changes.
  • I've reloaded the newest Firmware per Viofo instructions --- No Changes.
This is super disappointing, because I'm worried that I just got a defective unit and will have to mail it back.
I'm about to make a cross-country road trip in four days, thus the reason I bought it. Really hoping we can get it to work...
Thank you so much for your help!!!

As you have tried already to reload the firmware with no changes, and tried other memory cards too, i dont think there are something you can do other than start the RMA process

Hitty timing you had, but even the best ones can make a dud now and then.

As you have tried already to reload the firmware with no changes, and tried other memory cards too, i dont think there are something you can do other than start the RMA process

Hitty timing you had, but even the best ones can make a dud now and then.

That is really unfortunate :(

The irony... I chose this camera mostly because of all the fantastic reviews, because I needed one I could trust. Figures I'd get the one rotten apple...

Yeah it sucks, i have tried the same 2 times with memory cards, mind you the most expensive and fast brand memory cards i ever had at the time, both pretty much died before i got to fill them up just 1 time.
But the replacement for both worked / work just fine.

In both cases it was from Amazon in Germany ( Denmark too small to have a amazon warehouse but datacenter are okay ) they had a new card in my mailbox almost before i got around to send back the broken one.

Yeah it sucks, i have tried the same 2 times with memory cards, mind you the most expensive and fast brand memory cards i ever had at the time, both pretty much died before i got to fill them up just 1 time.
But the replacement for both worked / work just fine.

In both cases it was from Amazon in Germany ( Denmark too small to have a amazon warehouse but datacenter are okay ) they had a new card in my mailbox almost before i got around to send back the broken one.

Perhaps I will run a quick test on my SD cards. They work in my GoPro 7 just fine, at way higher demand than this DashCam should ever need-- but I'll run diagnostics on them now..

If it freezes as you adjust the lens angle, it's possible there is a loose sensor ribbon cable.

Have you tried to power it up with no memory card inserted?

How are you powering the camera? Are you using the supplied 12V cigarette adapter and Viofo USB power cable?

If it freezes as you adjust the lens angle, it's possible there is a loose sensor ribbon cable.

Have you tried to power it up with no memory card inserted?

How are you powering the camera? Are you using the supplied 12V cigarette adapter and Viofo USB power cable?

#1- I just powered it up with no SD card (from wall outlet). Still no video display (just Viofo logo) - recording time obviously not rolling, but the date/time stamp is still accurate and rolling.

#2- I am using the Viofo supplied power cord and cigarette lighter adapter. I have also tried different cords/combos/power sources, with no change.

#1- I just powered it up with no SD card (from wall outlet). Still no video display (just Viofo logo) - recording time obviously not rolling, but the date/time stamp is still accurate and rolling.

#2- I am using the Viofo supplied power cord and cigarette lighter adapter. I have also tried different cords/combos/power sources, with no change.
Have you tired powering it up with the lens at different angles? This may help to confirm a loose image sensor cable. Will need an exchange either way though.

Have you tired powering it up with the lens at different angles? This may help to confirm a loose image sensor cable. Will need an exchange either way though.

You may be on to something!!

It only seems to display the video on start-up when the lens is straight in-line with the camera. The camera will work fine until I go even one click up (video and device freeze).

The camera seems to start up and work just fine as long as the lens is full-straight. One click up will sometimes freeze/ but sometimes no problems. Two clicks or more, won't work at all (Only Viofo Logo).

With the lens at full straight, everything is fine (unless I click the lens at an angle, in which case the whole thing freezes...).

Damn. Pointing the lens straight down (attached to the GPS mount), is just looking at the hood of my vehicle... That won't do.

Hopefully Viofo can rush me a new one in the next few days, otherwise I'll have to jury-rig some kind of goofy new mount to get by for a minute. (Might just use my GoPro suction cups)

Thanks to everyone for your help!!

Back