V5000GS

Bruuuz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Mobius, Yi Ultra Dashcam
Hi folks,
i'm looking for a new cam. I bought a fake gs1000 with the Novatek chip and i was not very satisfied :oops: :lol:
I'm driving a 2011 VW Caddy 2.0 tdi as a family car and since i was using my smartphone with dailyroads app i would never drive again without a cam. I live in Stuttgart/Germany and the experience with road situation is sometimes pretty wiered.
Recording is a "small" hobby and i hope i will never need a video proof in the case of an accident. But my video collection is quite entertaining. kamikaze biker

Must have:
  • 1920x1080p, 30fps
  • discreet body / no chrome or color
  • a flexible mount to aim the cam to the center of my driving direction
  • Lock function or emergency button to retain a situation
  • good lowlight quality
Nice to have:
  • GPS
  • Screen on/off
Max. 150€, so the customs will not charge me. Luckily I had never to pay import turnover tax when buying in china.

This is my hot candidate: the V5000GS

I love the design, it doesn't look like a toy and has no blingbling. I want to place it as discreet as possible. It's important because the legal effect of using car dvr and filming other people is not clear at germany.
The OK-button locks a video. It looks like the perfect cam for my usage.

It seems to be pretty new on the market and there is still no review. Even there is just one sample video.

I contacted Leo from foxoffer.com and he promised some vids. They will make their own review on their blog also.
The V5000Gs is fitted with an Ambarella A2 chip. There is only one version on the market with the Ambarella A2 and 120degree view angle.

If the video quality is like the GS8000, this might be the perfect car dvr for me.
This is the dvr at foxoffer, but it should be noted, that there is not an external gps antenna. It's an onboard antenna.

Has someone just purchased a V5000GS?

Sorry, my english is lousy. i tried my best :p
with best regards
Bruuuz

colour is discrete but the form factor is a bit large, much larger than what you have already anyway, doesn't look like the mount has any sideways adjustment either, the sample video doesn't really help

Edit: same idea as jokiin :roll:

Bruuuz said:
discreet body
I think this form factor is not discreet
because is more like a square.

enjoy,
Mtz

the (fake) gs1000 is a little bit smaller, but in fact i cant place it where i want because of the bad suction holder. There is a black tanned field on my winshield around the back mirrow and the sensorbox of the light and the wiper automatic. I think i can place the V5000gs at a position where just the lenspart is visible from the outside.
On the pictures i found, i figured out that there is a small ball head at the mount. the v5000gs has no chrome material around the lens like the gs8000. it has als a smaller screen. As i wrote, the video sample is the only one i could find at youtube. I'm waiting for other samples.

Bruuuz said:
the (fake) gs1000 is a little bit smaller, but in fact i cant place it where i want because of the bad suction holder. There is a black tanned field on my winshield around the back mirrow and the sensorbox of the light and the wiper automatic. I think i can place the V5000gs at a position where just the lenspart is visible from the outside.
On the pictures i found, i figured out that there is a small ball head at the mount. the v5000gs has no chrome material around the lens like the gs8000. it has als a smaller screen. As i wrote, the video sample is the only one i could find at youtube. I'm waiting for other samples.

I think the GS1000 is a lot smaller, this one you're looking at has 2.5" LCD v's 1.5" on the GS1000

sometimes the ballhead type adjustment can be a problem too, yes you get the opportunity to aim the camera better, if they're not heavy duty enough though the camera will vibrate in the mount and you will get a wobbly picture, like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1N0Fvod9IY

from the sample video you offered it looks like a generic Ambarella software solution, this would be typical for the CMOS sensor they are using, it's a very common setup and you will find exactly the same inside many GS1000, GS2000, GS5000 etc models, will work ok and certainly a step up from your Novatek version, I suspect they're charging a bit of a premium though just because the exterior is new, the insides are the same as many others

Last edited by a moderator:
i was comparing it to the GS8000 with 2.7". Let's wait for the sample videos.
the wobbly video is reasonable because the camera was placed in the hand of someone, not mounted.

Bruuuz said:
the wobbly video is reasonable because the camera was placed in the hand of someone, not mounted.

was just trying to illustrate the point, when you see videos like this where the time and date look like they're floating about in the picture it's due to the mount not being solid, plenty of times you'll see this in videos

That's absolutly true. The mounts are often very crappy. That's a problem I can't understand. There should always be some $ left for a solid solution.

No. :mrgreen:
When you see a stable image and floating numbers means the user used the image stabilization offered by youtube.
Usually user don't need to use this, but sometimes, in rare situations, yes. This stabilization affect much more than just the encoding the quality of the video.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
No. :mrgreen:
When you see a stable image and floating numbers means the user used the image stabilization offered by youtube.
Usually user don't need to use this, but sometimes, in rare situations, yes. This stabilization affect much more than just the encoding the quality of the video.

enjoy,
Mtz

that may happen also, floating figures like that are a dead giveaway of mount problems, if there's any of the car dashboard to be seen in the video see if that stays in a constant position or not, if it's also floating I'd bank on a dodgy mount

I agree with Mtz, the shaking numbers is a Youtube thing. When you upload to Youtube it asks if you want to stabilize the video. If the user selects yes, 99% of the time the video will look worse! Really Youtube needs to turn that feature off (at least for dash cam videos).

DashCamMan said:
I agree with Mtz, the shaking numbers is a Youtube thing. When you upload to Youtube it asks if you want to stabilize the video. If the user selects yes, 99% of the time the video will look worse! Really Youtube needs to turn that feature off (at least for dash cam videos).

yeah I don't like what YouTube does to the files, I can assure you though the shaking numbers is possible due to mount design, I've seen in it files straight off the camera, the video wobbles like jelly and looks terrible

No, again. When is because of the mount, the shaking is including the image, but also the numbers.
Just upload a shaking recording on youtube, accept the stabilize and check our words by watching the video after processing.

enjoz,
Mty

indothai said:
Did the OP finally get the V5000GS?

Did anyone get this unit?

I ordered one from eBay yesterday. Should arrive between march 7th & the 11th. Will do a thread with some vids and a review.

DashCamMan said:

Yep, I agree. . . that stabilization "fix" from youtube is horrible!!!!

Chad said:
DashCamMan said:

Yep, I agree. . . that stabilization "fix" from youtube is horrible!!!!
Even worse if you use the stabilization "fix".

billknow said:
Please select 1080P Video when you watch
Not necessary, the reddish image is so ugly so I don't need to watch at it too much.
You can't sell a camera with such wrong video. I think you made some bad white balance setup in the camera settings.
Please, try to fix the problem and come back with a better video.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
quaser Dash Cam Discussion 0
Chad Dash Cam Discussion 12
Back