Valet damaged my bumper

DJAY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone know of software that can raise the volume on a video file from dashcam? Valet was parking my car and scraped the passenger rear bumper. I have video but he was going backwards so I only have audio that is really low. I tried to raise the audio with Bigasoft Total Video Converter 5 but even at 500% still hard to hear. Valet driver is denying about hitting the pole and both valet company and my insurance is having a hard time "hearing" the scrape

Video shows him driving and scratching the bumper around 19sec mark. You can hear the scrape and the car tilt. He stops and shifts and then pulls forward around 21sec mark and you can hear the scrape again going forward.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vo644wxmq0ibm6m/20160319_1154311(1).mp4?dl=0

IMG_026666.JPG IMG_027000.JPG

Press your insurance company. It's rather obvious something hit the car and that is their problem to figure out- that's what you're paying them for. They should pay the claim then figure out who they will seek damages from after that.

Something which may help is a high-res pic of the edge of the post showing a match in the pattern of damage, and perhaps even your car paint embedded in it's paint. The vid of the car's motion should be enough- that also makes it clear that something was hit by the valet.

Phil

Haven't tried video but you can extract audio from that clip and amplify it in Audacity easily.
Open the clip-->Effect-->Amplify and drag left/right to decrease/increase volume.

I told the insurance guy but both the adjuster and his manager says they can't hear the scrape or see the car tilting either. I can hear it on my computer with my external speakers turned up but it seems they can't hear it on their computer speakers. I will try to extract audio only

Sony sound forge....I believe they have a trial version...

He was shifting after the first scrape to go forward and then scrape again around 21sec

In windows movie maker, you can go to edit and drag volume all the way to right as well.

You could also try looking at the sound wave in software that will show it for a visual indication of the noise?

It is clear that the valet is not proficient in maneuvering cars. That and the amount scraped poles everywhere as well you raising enough stink should get the repairs approved. be the squeaky wheel in this case.

When I was a teen, I drove my mom's new car to NYC and parked it in a garage for a few nights. The car had a secondary "chip" key that plugged in under the dash. I pulled into a nice space up front and gave them the keys but kept the chip. Came back in three days and paid. Of course the car was right where I left it and all the attendants were watching as we got in. You could tell they were expecting it not to start as I am sure they tried more than a few times to move the car. Of course, I plugged in the chip and started it right up and we rolled :) We knew that the car would be shuffled around a lot and decided that we were not having that...

Back