Van driver - 12 feet airborne!

c4rc4m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo WR1, A119 Pro. VicoVation Opia 2, Mobius 1
Caught on a motorcyclists dashcamera - a van driver, driving recklessly weaves through traffic then hits a roundabout at speed - result van flies 12 feet in the air before crashing. Driver had to be cut free. Needless to say the police are now investigating the circumstances of the driving.

Motorcyclists helmet cam video:

"This amazing footage appears to capture a 'Dukes of Hazzard style' moment when a speeding van flies through the air after hitting a roundabout. The silver Citroen van is caught hurtling along a dual carriageway before failing to stop and launching into the air as it strikes the cambered edge of the roundabout. Motorcyclist Andy Daynes, 35, said he caught the footage on his helmet cam while driving behind the van on the A11 at Attleborough, Norfolk, earlier this year. Andy, of Hingham, Norwich said: "I was actually on my motorbike behind him so I saw it all."

Strange helmet cam, apart from the clock counting 22 seconds during the 14 second video, the image remains horizontal at all times even though supposedly mounted on a helmet, and it always faces in the direction of travel, motorcyclist never turned his head? Can't have been smoothed by a gimbal since when he turns the corner it turns instantly and never overshoots. If the clock was on the original video then it can't have been stabilised in software. The clock seems huge and the video low resolution - cheap camera? But there is no over exposure in the clouds, seems more like a good camera that has been messed up!

How come he didn't stop to help, or take avoiding action when the van came through? Carried on as though it never happened! Surly motorcyclists value people who stop and help, since they often crash and need help themselves?

Then there are the sound effects, the only thing we hear apart from wind noise is the sound of the van passing, no other vehicles, no motorcycle engine accelerating around the roundabout, no change in wind noise as we brake and then accelerate. The sound of the van passing sounds like a constant speed overtake without lane change.

Not too sure about the cloud of dust before the van hit anything either...

People do that here too judging by marks at some roundabouts.

I might have believed it was shot from a helmet cam - if they claimed it was zoomed in heavily and image stabilised in post processing. But then you wouldn't have that huge, fixed date stamp.

The date stamp also means it isn't zoomed in footage from a car, unless the camera was pointing far up and to the right!

I think it's a good fake spoiled by schoolboy errors.

Possible explanation : the helmet cam was being used in a friend's car while he was following behind on his bike. The cam really is that low in resolution and has a huge date stamp. But to believe that I'd want to know the camera model and have the source clarify the story.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Didn't seem like a helmet cam to me either, nor could it have been bike-mounted as it didn't "lean over" when cornering. Any rider would have instinctively glanced over when the van was overtaking them half in their lane, and the same for not looking ahead through the curved roundabout or looking at the crashed van as you passed. Nor did any other drivers slow or stop for the crash which they too must have seen. Very obviously screwy, and therefore of highly questionable veracity.

Phil

I wish we have a live readout of his brain, he must have been so focused on the other "idiot" drivers on the road, that he dident see the many warning signs leading up to a roundabout.
Must admit i think its dashcam footage too, dont feel like a MC camera,

A possible explanation for the way the video looks. A helmet camera mounted to the frame of a tricycle. Some older motorcycle riders with bad knees switch to tricycles. This setup would explain why the video looks like it was shot from a car, and being exposed outside, the wind noise would overwhelm any other audio.

A possible explanation for the way the video looks. A helmet camera mounted to the frame of a tricycle. Some older motorcycle riders with bad knees switch to tricycles. This setup would explain why the video looks like it was shot from a car, and being exposed outside, the wind noise would overwhelm any other audio.
Good theory, but a tricycle would never make it around the roundabout at that speed :D

Good theory, but a tricycle would never make it around the roundabout at that speed :D
It would if he remembered to set playback speed to 0.5x. :)

It would if he remembered to set playback speed to 0.5x. :)

Average speed for the sidecars around the IOM TT this year was 119 mph, that would explain it, they are not supposed to roll either.

LOTS of speculation as to whether this clip is real or fake. I don't believe its real, absolutely no other vehicle reacts to the van and even the "cam vehicle" continues on, at least for the duration of the clip. plenty people say that because it's low quality its easier to fake. All the news stories refer to "the viral clip" and not "the crash" itself, when it's pretty safe to say the police force would have been approached for comment by now and there would have been talk of whether people were injured, or people who miraculously weren't injured. And while many people can argue "lots of crashes like this happen and they don't ever get media attention and no one ever hears about them" yes that's often true, but not when a clip of said incident goes viral.. All anyone's heard from is people claiming to have witnessed... but that's easy enough to lie about.

The date stamp also means it isn't zoomed in footage from a car, unless the camera was pointing far up and to the right!
Awful dashcams from years ago had a very low field of view, or even zoom, where the timestamp remained in shot, the bonnet may never have been in shot in the first place

there's YouTube comments about three people being injured etc but no other link to any source, the blurb says recorded earlier this year so a bit questionable still

What a mom that kid have :rolleyes:

They really should do something about that liquid state drug, it cause so much misery and cost for our societies every year, and then "they" dare to say some illegal drugs are worse :mad:
Here in Denmark the cost to the society for alcohol are larger than the 2 - 3 most popular illegal drugs put together, and that just make me think well the reason alcohol are legal must be that it is used to keep the populations complacent, maybe by adding something to the mix.

I know a little tin foil hat thinking, but just as bad as any reasoning for keeping the damm stuff legal and in reach of just about anyone that are able / old enough to walk.

What a mom that kid have :rolleyes:

They really should do something about that liquid state drug, it cause so much misery and cost for our societies every year, and then "they" dare to say some illegal drugs are worse :mad:
Here in Denmark the cost to the society for alcohol are larger than the 2 - 3 most popular illegal drugs put together, and that just make me think well the reason alcohol are legal must be that it is used to keep the populations complacent, maybe by adding something to the mix.

I know a little tin foil hat thinking, but just as bad as any reasoning for keeping the damm stuff legal and in reach of just about anyone that are able / old enough to walk.
I think our governments would be in trouble without the alcohol tax!

We Danes just make 2 - 300 million DKkr on our alcohol tax, in perspective our annual budget are 1000 Billion DKkr and the "estimate" is alcohol cost our society around 1 - 1.2 billion every year.

I sl´hould maybe also say, when "they" estimate some thing like the price for a bridge or something, they pretty much always low ball it significantly, almost where things get 30 - 50% more expensive than planned / estimated.

We Danes just make 2 - 300 million DKkr on our alcohol tax, in perspective our annual budget are 1000 Billion DKkr and the "estimate" is alcohol cost our society around 1 - 1.2 billion every year.
UK = £10.7bn in alcohol duty.
But that is not enough to pay our bill from the EU for being a member!

In the UK, we invented the industrial revolution, the industrial revolution led to people living in cities with no sewage systems, the only safe drink was alcohol so we evolved to drink it. For most UK people it is not a problem. For some people it is a big problem, but evolution is still busy taking care of them.

In other countries, such as your Greenland it is a very big problem and a ban would be sensible, but in the UK I think there is no need and a lot of people enjoy it.

I bet some one wished was was a lot more Danes, 10 billion just imagine how much stuff you could waste that on :giggle:

Sewage isent that a french thing, i know they once had guided tours of the Paris sewers, hell the Parisians was showing heir **** off to foreign visitors, guess people noses back then was otherwise geared.
-visiting-the-sewers-of-paris-illustrated-london-news-ltdmar.jpg

Sacre blu ! le merde ce tres grande :giggle: 7.2 Curic

Last edited:
Back