Vancouver Police K9 Takedown Caught on Dashcam

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Dash cam's - there not just for traffic incidents.

Is it just me, or would the Benny Hill theme be appropriate here with all of the running around.

Tried that once at the start of my "career"
Dog grabbed the other guy instead,,,, i was like WTF :cool:
Since then i have always said dogs like me, and consequent observations seem to confirm this.

Shouldn't the police have high-vis clothing to run around on the road among moving traffic in the dark?

And I would have thought that the first thing to do having caught him would be to remove the dog's teeth, he is not going to stay still when the dog is still tearing his flesh from his legs! Instead they try to get him to keep still by five of them using their fists and the dog still sinking it's teeth in!

Well maybe that will teach him a lesson :giggle:
It do look like quite a few of those guys have been taunted in some way, and just have to throw a fist or 2 for good measure.
Not that i mind really, in the old days here if you hit a police man 2 of them hit you on the police station, reminding me of the movie quote "they send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue"
But it is a slippery slope this MO, but just as bad as if police men or the law had no respect at all, which i think is safe to say certain parts of our societies don't have at all.

I think it is important that the police respect the law, even if he did deserve more than he got. It is the job of the court and judge to punish him.

To summarise
  • Three suspect arrested, two they caught immediately in a parking lot
  • third bolted, trying to car jack some cars including a taxi full of passengers
  • K9 unit dispatched
  • Innocent senior bitten by the K9
Vancouver Sun Article | CTV News Article

Shouldn't the police have high-vis clothing to run around on the road among moving traffic in the dark?

And I would have thought that the first thing to do having caught him would be to remove the dog's teeth, he is not going to stay still when the dog is still tearing his flesh from his legs! Instead they try to get him to keep still by five of them using their fists and the dog still sinking it's teeth in!

I would have thought it was a sting operation and they were trying to blend in, but it appears they spotted them committing a crime and responded. Lots of unmarked vehicles and officers in this and I would think if they wanted "backup" they would request regular uniform.

I haven't heard anything about Police brutality on this yet. This is in British Columbia, not the province I live in, so I don't know how they handle things there. But in Ontario, any case where anyone is hurt, killed or there is an automotive accident where the police is involved, the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) is involved.

It can backfire. It reminds me of a police callout incident here.

A security company had video surveillance at a work site. The site owner decided to also hired security patrols from another company but didn't tell the video guys. They saw someone onsite and called the cops. The cops sent and a dog unit which intercepted the "intruder". The patrolman got injured and there were a lot of red faces followed by a lot of paperwork.

It can backfire. It reminds me of a police callout incident here.

A security company had video surveillance at a work site. The site owner decided to also hired security patrols from another company but didn't tell the video guys. They saw someone onsite and called the cops. The cops sent and a dog unit which intercepted the "intruder". The patrolman got injured and there were a lot of red faces followed by a lot of paperwork.
Seems to be quite common for police attack dogs to bite the wrong person, and they can do some serious damage.

--law enforcement dogs can exert tremendous bite forces. Some K-9 dogs (German shepherds) are trained to exert bite forces up to 1,500 pounds per square inch (psi), and trained Rottweilers can generate bite forces up to 2,000 psi. Compare this with the bite force exerted by untrained German shepherds, for example, who only bite with the force of maybe 200-400 psi (though still powerful enough to puncture light sheet metal). Doberman Pinschers have the highest bite force with 600 psi! A truly amazing breed. It should come to no surprise, then, that while only 1-2% of civilian dog bites require hospitalization, 50% of police dogs bites do (based on a study of the LAPD's K-9 units).
Also, police dogs are trained to bite and hold. They latch on and do not let go. The average number of bites per patient hospitalized with civilian dogs bites is one, a single bite. The average number of bites a person suffers at the jaws of police dogs is three. It seems that about 15 to 20 percent of dog bite wounds become infected. The reason there is such concern about dog bites is that there are a number of particularly nasty bugs that inhabit the mouths of some dogs, such that even innocuous looking bites can on rare occasions lead to life-threatening infections.
http://medic.wikia.com/wiki/Police_dog_bite

Yeah the dogs are loose cannons, in this day and age you would think they had better options.

Yeah the dogs are loose cannons, in this day and age you would think they had better options.
I'm fairly sure that if they were trying to catch an animal then the use of a police Alsatian would be considered inhumane and banned! Tranquiliser darts seem to be the preferred option for that...

Training the dog fitted with a GPS tracker and maybe live video link to follow the suspect but not attack would seem more reasonable, and maybe have a drone with autonomous follow the GPS tracker function for a better view. Then the speed of the police dog wouldn't need to be limited by the speed of the dog handler it is dragging along behind. Dogs trained to sink their teeth in and potentially kill should be for the army, although they probably consider them too unreliable with too much risk of civilian injury!

Looked like they were initially hitting the guy as he had his hand around the dogs nose whilst it was biting him, think they were trying to get the guy to let go of the dog.

Back