vantop h610 rear camera view through the window or outside mounted?

markm75

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this is a bit of a toss up here. I've installed the dashcam system in our 2015 sorento without much issue. The debate here is that the rear view through the window on the inside is, well, the same as the rear view mirror, naturally. The rear view is tinted, so due to this i'm not getting a bright image. With the gate up, if i aim it in the clear, the image is of course night and day. The trick would be moving it to the outside however.

So from others experiences, have you ended up moving it to the outside? My concern there is that the camera will become obstructed with dirt at times, making the "rear view" (lcd view) useless at times. Of course in that situation you can just hit the button on the bottom and the mirror is a mirror again (i think the front still records?).

Curious what others ended up doing, you dont see many videos touching on the rear aspect to this system (or others with the option of being outside or inside).

Thanks in advance

There is a few that make waterproof remote cameras for their systems, but like you i am apprehensive in regard to dirt accumulating on the lens.
This is not a issue on a low resolution reversing camera, but for a dashcam that need to have the best chance of capturing little details i think it will be a problem.
Okay the people driving a sedan also have dirt on their rear window, personally i am fortunate to drive a mini 5 door hatchback and i have a wiper on my rear hatch.
And that wiper are indeed needed as the back of my car are pretty much flat and vertical so a lot of dirt circle around there when i drive.

ATM i have 2 rear cameras at the top of my rear window, and both have wiper coverage, but thats also all i can do along the top of the glass, any further to the side and there will not be wiper coverage so would have to stack other cameras below the 2 already there.

Yeah i ended up fishing the wire to the outside on the 2015 sorento. The view is quite amazing with the vantop kit. We'll just need to keep up with making sure its clear. This keeps it inline with my original main goal of a rear camera system that works at night. I guess worst case i could add yet another dashcam system just to add another cam for the dirty situation and keep it inside in the rear, but thats a tad overkill perhaps for the % times its actually dirty (usually just winter).

Back