Vantrue company social media accounts are stealing videos, cropping out watermarks & copyright notices

Dan Robinson

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have posted any dashcam videos to Youtube or to social media, you might want to check the Vantrue Facebook and Twitter accounts for your material. The company has been "freebooting" (stealing) videos, including cropping out watermarks of the originals and disregarding copyright notices.

The company ripped two videos from my Youtube channel and posted them to their commercial pages, including cropping out both my watermark and a very clear copyright notice. They are refusing to take responsibility for the copyright violation, and continue to pirate others' videos.

This is shameful behavior for any company and casts serious doubt on the integrity of their business. Buyer beware.

I've already filed the takedowns. I'm a professional photographer who relies on image and video licensing to commercial clients to put food on my table and be able to pay for my five Street Guardian dashcams.

It's unacceptable for a company to blatantly disregard the intellectual property rights of others, and there should be consequences.

No. I don't own any Vantrue devices. The videos in question are from my main 4K video camera I use for television work (tripoded and operated by me personally). Their Facebook and Twitter accounts are filled with videos they've just taken from around the web and reposted on their accounts without permission or authorization, cropping out the owner's watermarks in the process.

I take it they're hoping to imply that the videos are from their products then, can't really see a reason to otherwise

At first I thought you were using their products and they were just taking your videos to share on their channel, doesn't make it better but I'd get what they were thinking if that were the case

Same company that engages in fake/paid reviews so can't say I'm surprised if the videos are also misrepresented

I believe it, without even seeing it.

If you didn't see my post, I tried to source a new lens for my N2 Pro and they just ignored me. Not even a sorry, we don't sell parts email.

No. I don't own any Vantrue devices. The videos in question are from my main 4K video camera I use for television work (tripoded and operated by me personally). Their Facebook and Twitter accounts are filled with videos they've just taken from around the web and reposted on their accounts without permission or authorization, cropping out the owner's watermarks in the process.
Slightly confused. You started by mentioning dashcam videos, but then talk about a 4k camera on a tripod. Are they stealing both?

I suppose I should take a look. I've posted quite a lot of dashcam video and still images in here via YouTube and other sources. I know some of my still images are being used by vendors on here to sell a particular camera that I tested.

Dan has a lot of vids out there- he's a pro in his work and an honorable man who has no ulterior motives (y) This changes what I feel about Vantrue as a company bigtime and even though I like a couple of their products I'm going to have to reconsider what I say about them now, both because of this and crabu2's problem.

Vantrue did supply me with a free cam for review and I'm still using it. The person who worked with me in that doesn't seem to be involved with the company any longer and the person who is seemingly supposed to be officially representing them here doesn't seem to be around either. The cam I got was an older model which make me wonder why they were seeking to test and review it through me and some others here as that doesn't usually happen save for new products, but I never questioned their motivations directly or otherwise. Now I'm beginning to wonder whether they like so many other dashcam manufacturers only care about initial sales :( Which would also explain why the cam I got has never had any attempt to mitigate an issue is has that was there from the start a couple years ago which should be correctable with some simple firmware tweaking. They definately know about this but have done nothing in two years which is plenty of time for them to have addressed this. Add that to what Dan is relating and it's beginning to look to be a rather unethical company, and not someone I can recommend doing business with.

I believe in giving the benefit of doubt to everyone and to let people correct any errors they make, but I also believe in calling things as they really are so unless I see corrective action soon for all this I will have no choice but to give them a (n) from now on which will include altering all I've posted of them to reflect that.

@WendyLLL: I take this very seriouysly and I hope you do too because theft of copyrighted matter it is a serious crime which I will not abide.

Phil

Here is the video section of their Facebook page:

Back